At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

When I moved to NYC in the 1980's, a rather beautiful woman I had befriended looked at me and said "when are you going to remove that horrendous thing from your face?" I said huh? She said do you plan on dating? I said yes of course, I am divorced and single again. She said do you plan on sleeping with these women you date? I said of course. She said it is not going to happen with that terrible thing on your face. Not here, not now. I shaved the next morning! 

The whole "beards are suddenly hip thing" is beyond bizarre. I get it if you are an Oregon lumberjack. But, otherwise? 

And especially here. I have never seen a culture more averse to facial hair than Thailand. Though I would love to grow some Elvis sideburns, just to get a rise out of the locals! Fun, fun! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

You'll start feeling it, when you feel it literally.

When your eyesight start fading, when your joints start to complain, when you can no longer eat certain things, when you gotta get up in the n8ght to pee,when all you can raise is a smile !

And yes all those things will come to most, the only thing that varies is WHEN ! but bet your ar** it will !

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I've worn glasses since I was about 14 and abused my eyes for many years wearing one day contacts for weeks without taking them out to clean.  My optometrist said I was lucky I didn't go blind.  Can't wear lenses now but have varifocal glasses. They were ok for a few years but now I have to take them off to look at my phone, and I look at my phone about once every 3 mins!  

I have always had to get up to pee in the night, so that's no biggie. 

I can still eat anything I want, which for me means spicy food almost all the time.  I don't use sugar or salt, I don't drink any sugary drinks, I quit alcohol 17 months ago ????, limit bread and pasta, don't eat fast food, stopped drinking milk.  

So far no aches of pains anywhere.

• Like 1

I hated clubbing at 18-21, so perhaps I’m old before my time. If a person keeps fit and active, and eats healthily they will grow older but not necessarily feel it. But DNA is a factor, some people inherit debilitating conditions, whether they do these things or not. So a bit of luck is also needed.

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I don't use sugar or salt, I don't drink any sugary drinks, I quit alcohol 17 months ago ????, limit bread and pasta, don't eat fast food, stopped drinking milk.  

"Doc, I have given up sugar, beer, meat, and cheese." "Do you think you are going to live forever" "No, but it sure is going to feel that way!"

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I love my beard and wouldnt want to remove it form any reason, although Mrs P is not a fan, she just has to put up with an older mans prerogative. . 

I do not get beards and my father had one all my life so the only time I saw him without one was pictures of him in his 20's

I really don't get these hipster types who seem to want to look like a sodding old lumberjack when they are only in their 20's and 30's  

Why anyone would do anything that makes them look older is beyond me!

• Like 2

For me was just when my baby girl graduated, turned 18 and now about to go to University. A segment of my family life hit the reality fan. Nearing 60 in a couple of years, but I still ride the skateboard in the driveway with the kids. Glad they are still my little big buddies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'I' don't feel old - I just see my body aging.

My body is still in good knick, full head hair, I look quite young - just have rubbish teeth now - so getting old is just swings and roundabouts.

Besides - I am always told I am a sexy man walking down the sois - I love it, wife walking behind hates it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

When I moved to NYC in the 1980's, a rather beautiful woman I had befriended looked at me and said "when are you going to remove that horrendous thing from your face?" I said huh? She said do you plan on dating? I said yes of course, I am divorced and single again. She said do you plan on sleeping with these women you date? I said of course. She said it is not going to happen with that terrible thing on your face. Not here, not now. I shaved the next morning! 

So you allowed a woman to tell you what to do!

Fascinating thread.

I'm 63 but don't feel old.  I keep my weight under control, run, cycle and surfskate regularly, and I'm just setting up a new on-line business so keep my mind active. 

But I'm a bit worried that I may wake up one day and feel 'old'.

If I couldn't do fun outdoor activities any more (or fun indoor activities!), I would not want to carry on.

Do we suddenly become old one day?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

At 65 I still don't feel old or think I look old........I still go into bars thinking I look late 20's/early thirties......big mistake. Although the girls....god bless them.......... say I don't look a day over 45.

People think I'm years younger, which means they probably think I'm a dole bludger as I couldn't be old enough for a pension. They are always surprised when I tell them my age.

I put it down to not being married very long.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Beards are great, and if other people don't like them, that's their problem.

Yep.

You can get to an age where a beard helps you look younger - as it covers the sagging jowls ????

And as beards are fashionable for the youngsters now, it helps too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's wonderful if we feel young but it's even better if other people see in us what we (want to) see.

Most people think I am younger than I am. I guess one reason is that I don't have any grey hair until now and enough hair on my head.

I don't feel "old" but realistically I have to admit:

- There was a time when I could drink a lot until 2am, wake up at 7am and work productive the whole day. Not anymore.

- There was a time when I had sex for hours, and then some more. That's was some time ago...

- When I was in school my mother lay down on the sofa for an hour after lunch. It seems that was something for old people. Now I like to lay down for an hour after lunch.

- The list goes on and on.

I still like sexy cute (legal) girls who could by now be my grand daughters. And they are nice enough to make me feel young. But I guess it's better that I don't ask them if they think I am old...

Love it!  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kinnock said:

Yep.

You can get to an age where a beard helps you look younger - as it covers the sagging jowls ????

And as beards are fashionable for the youngsters now, it helps too.

More of a problem for me was being in the military when men wore long hair. We really stood out back then.

I had a beard in my 30s, then I had to cut it off as I got dandruff in it.

Now I don't get dandruff, so all good.

BTW, the guy in that famous book about how to do sex was wearing a beard.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People think I'm years younger, which means they probably think I'm a dole bludger as I couldn't be old enough for a pension. They are always surprised when I tell them my age.

I put it down to not being married very long.

I've never been married and I've not had a GF for the last 5 years.  Thai women, apart from some looking nice, are just not my type, or more to the point I have no way to meet the type I'm looking for so I just don't bother.

Still feeling great but like any generation, hearing about "your" famous people dying while your kids have to Google who they are.    Who's Tom Petty, Fidel Castro, or Chuck Yeager?

Picking up (to be honest: pointing at their number tag) girls that were born in 2000 is an in your face reminder.   

• Like 1