At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess all the old farts move out of Bangkok to the boonies. No wonder you feel comfortable in that company.

Personally I prefer to stay with the young people in Bangkok. ???? 

Funny I didn't move out of Bangkok it was a 3 day trip and nothing more that was enough.

As I said I am not a city person and have young friends here in a place in Thailand where I prefer to live.

I wish you well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jack71 said:

in thailand or abroad?

Thailand ........ foreign guys don't seem to last that long over here.

Although my best pal died from AIDS at age 59 in the UK.

Caught it (probably) in Thailand, diagnosed in Cyprus, and took a year to die in a London hospital.

Edited by BritManToo

I started feeling old when I began gaining weight from my usual diet, which was just eat whatever I want whenever I want. When I was young I stayed slim on this diet for many years but at the age of 37, I actually had to start controlling what I ate because my weight went crazy.

So my answer is 37. Another factor was when I couldn't call the waitress "phi khrap", but had to start saying "nong khrap".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The whole "beards are suddenly hip thing" is beyond bizarre. I get it if you are an Oregon lumberjack. But, otherwise? 

And especially here. I have never seen a culture more averse to facial hair than Thailand. Though I would love to grow some Elvis sideburns, just to get a rise out of the locals! Fun, fun! 

I have a very short beard, often it is more like stubble only. Many women in Thailand have liked it. Asians in general can't grow facial hair which is why you don't see it that much.

35 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I started feeling old when I began gaining weight from my usual diet, which was just eat whatever I want whenever I want. When I was young I stayed slim on this diet for many years but at the age of 37, I actually had to start controlling what I ate because my weight went crazy.

So my answer is 37. Another factor was when I couldn't call the waitress "phi khrap", but had to start saying "nong khrap".

"They say"............the male metabolism slows down mid to late 30's..........that is when you need to battle the beer belly.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Most are slim or small enough to be able to make a full foldover with the towel.

You mean you can't?  If my waist goes over 32" I start to panic that I'm getting fat!

Just now, EricTh said:

Is this a 'you look old but I am younger even though I am genetically older' bragging thread?

It not about how you look genetically, its more about how you feel and if feeling old makes you give up on grooming and being fashionable.  

At what point does a person decide to dress like an old man in cargo shorts and those fugly sandals or fake crocs?   Screw them being comfortable, I wear nice jeans and nice shoes because I want to look good.   

At what point does a person decide that being 10 or 20 kilos overweight is a good look and they are just not going to bother trying to keep their waist at the size it was in their 20's?    

I see guys who clearly don't bother tweezing their eyebrows, ears of nose hair.  I don't want to think about what they do with the rest of their body hair but I bet there is very little trimming going on down below.  I look for errant eyebrow hairs every morning and the rest of me is nicely shaved or waxed.   I am guessing that at some point these guys cared about their appearance, so why did they stop caring?   I want to leave behind a smart looking corpse and I don't want the coroner seeing a disheveled mess on his slab!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My waist is 40".

Assuming you get to my age, you will realize the waist gets bigger, and the bum shrinks.

The problem is easily fixed, I just buy bigger towels.

The waist doesn't have to get bigger though, you've just decided the effort to stay at a 32-34" waist was too hard.   Each to their own I guess, but being even slightly overweight bothers me.  I'm 6'1 and 78 kgs which is actually a bit heavy, I try to keep my weight under 75kg.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Late seventies, but nothing dramatic so far. Getting a bit slower walking upstairs but otherwise ok.

That's great.  Hope you keep feeling that way for a while.

2 hours ago, ABCbangkok said:

Physically I was doing great until early 60s and then the juice just wasn’t there. Slowing down physically has been good though as there is less stress about performance and image and keeping up. 

However cognitively I’ve never been better. So much so that I have a theory that the mind (not brain) never grows old. At 65 I’m working towards a PhD in psychology and philosophy. Deeply serious <deleted>.

Unless the brain breaks down due to something beyond my control I’m going to continue the challenge of learning something meaningful on a personal level. 

( At 92, my Mom still has all her marbles and knows how to play them. She’s still lucid, reads, and is still giving her three boys, all in their 60s, motherly advice as to how to navigate life. ???? She simply never gives up.)

That's fantastic!  Great about your mum too, I hope she makes it to the big 100!

I lost my father to dementia 5 years ago and my mum, who's 84 is basically just alive but non functioning because of dementia.  It does worry me a bit that I'll start losing cognitive abilities like they both did, but fingers crossed I won't.

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

The waist doesn't have to get bigger though, you've just decided the effort to stay at a 32-34" waist was too hard.   Each to their own I guess, but being even slightly overweight bothers me.  I'm 6'1 and 78 kgs which is actually a bit heavy, I try to keep my weight under 75kg.

My waist at best was 38". I am 6 feet and 90 kg, can balloon out to 100 kg in Australia.

I suggest you Google the term "somatotype" before making ignorant comments again.

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

32-34" waist  -  was a early teenager.....

I am the same now as 54 years ago in weight and height 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think work is not the problem

I like my work and if I wouldn't get paid to work with computers I would still play with computers.

Personally I think it's important not to stress ourselves with work we don't like and responsibilities.

I make less money than a top manager. And I have a lot less stress. I have time for long lunches and coffee breaks and I take it easy. No grey hair and no ulcer.

Even if I would have an accident today I could think in my last minute that I had a good life.

I work with tech and I plan to keep running my businesses until I die. I will probably stop going to the office everyday once I get to 60 (maybe earlier if my crypto investments take off in that time), but I won't be closing my businesses or selling them.  I'll just hand over day to day operations to other people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My waist at best was 38". I am 6 feet and 90 kg, can balloon out to 100 kg in Australia.

I suggest you Google the term "somatotype" before making ignorant comments again.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but people can lose weight.  How do you balloon out to 100kgs in Oz?   By eating! so don't eat as much as you won't.

When I see a fat kid it makes me sad because they are being programmed by their parents to believe they are big boned or that is the way they are always going to be.  I've seen lots of very large guys slim down to from well over 100kg down to my sort of weight and waist.  

The skeletal structure of a person who becomes overweight doesn't start off different to that of a person who stays slim.  Although people who are overweight for a long time will develop thicker femurs.  

Thing is staying slim requires sacrifice and we all know that most people would rather eat the cake than go without.  I'd rather eat nothing than put on any extra weight.  Food is just a means to an end, I don't have to enjoy it and if I could somehow not waste time shopping, cooking, eating and cleaning up afterwards but stay healthy you can bet I'd quit eating in a heart beat.   I stopped drinking 17 months ago to help ensure that as I get older I don't get fatter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenDeCosta said:

When I first moved here I tried to figure out some Thai and be watching I figured that girl was Phi and guy was Nong.  For a while I used Phi and Nong in that way until I made some Thai friends and discovered I had it all wrong.  I still think addressing people based on apparent age and social level is daft.  

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think the sign of getting old for me was when I was no longer interested in bonking a woman two or three times in the space of a couple of hours, and once was enough.

I know I'm old, no point to worrying about it.

Kenny Everett once said ' You know you're old when it takes all night to do once what once you used to do all night '.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand ........ foreign guys don't seem to last that long over here.

Although my best pal died from AIDS at age 59 in the UK.

Caught it (probably) in Thailand, diagnosed in Cyprus, and took a year to die in a London hospital.

what were the causes of death for your friends in thailand.? anything suspicious?

I’ll be 80 in a few months and I feel great. Still walk round the golf course, enjoy a few beers after it, don’t hit the ball as far as I used to but as long as you have good health life is good. I have never smoked in my life which I think helps a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I'm sorry if you disagree, but people can lose weight.  How do you balloon out to 100kgs in Oz?   By eating! so don't eat as much as you won't.

When I see a fat kid it makes me sad because they are being programmed by their parents to believe they are big boned or that is the way they are always going to be.  I've seen lots of very large guys slim down to from well over 100kg down to my sort of weight and waist.  

The skeletal structure of a person who becomes overweight doesn't start off different to that of a person who stays slim.  Although people who are overweight for a long time will develop thicker femurs.  

Thing is staying slim requires sacrifice and we all know that most people would rather eat the cake than go without.  I'd rather eat nothing than put on any extra weight.  Food is just a means to an end, I don't have to enjoy it and if I could somehow not waste time shopping, cooking, eating and cleaning up afterwards but stay healthy you can bet I'd quit eating in a heart beat.   I stopped drinking 17 months ago to help ensure that as I get older I don't get fatter.

I really don't see a necessity to starve myself just to please some poster on TV who is considerably younger than me. You presumably made no effort to understand the difference between endomorphs, ectomorphs and mesomorphs.

I am a lot healthier than many my age, I exercise every day, and play golf three times a week.

You are right to worry about dementia, you are exhibiting signs of mental laziness already, if our exchange of posts is anything to go by.

I'm in my late 60s but I still feel like I'm around 39.  I think of my father when he was at my current age and he acted like he was in his late 60s--mature and dignified.  Settled.  I guess I feel like I am still young(er) at heart. 

Recently my partner and I bought our very first house.  Before, we had always lived in condos both here and in the US.   We decided it was now or never--especially for me, being older.  The house needs a major, major renovation and will be a lot of work.  I couldn't really see my father wanting to take on a big project like that at my same age--too big an upheaval and too disruptive at that age.   But, I'm still up for a new challenge and find it's still fun.  I think it's good to keep active and interested in things.