Cautious optimism infects Thailand as mass vaccination heralds reopening

webfact

UK is experiencing a rapid increase in cases and now hospitalizations, heading possibly to yet another wave even though 80% are thought to have antibodies to covid 19, and it uses 3 highly effective vaccines.    Sadly it looks like the new normal is going to have to be full vaccination, plus some social distancing.  You'd think there must come a time when things return to pre-pandemic normality, but it's a heck of a long way off for Thailand, especially as it has very little natural immunity.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Cautious optimism infects Thailand

They better be careful with their choice of words like "infects Thailand"  Those in the government could easily construe  "optimism" as a variant of Covid 19 and we will be in for more measures to stop the spread of optimism. 

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

UK is experiencing a rapid increase in cases and now hospitalizations, heading possibly to yet another wave even though 80% are thought to have antibodies to covid 19, and it uses 3 highly effective vaccines.    Sadly it looks like the new normal is going to have to be full vaccination, plus some social distancing.  You'd think there must come a time when things return to pre-pandemic normality, but it's a heck of a long way off for Thailand, especially as it has very little natural immunity.

Whatever comes out of all this, the old normal is certainly over for everyone everywhere ... we can only hope for the best and adjust to whatever the new normal is. It's not inconceivable that masks will be part of life for good. The question is how much disruption will remain.

The only good news is that virus mutations that thrive tend to be those that are successful in transmission but don't kill the hosts. Usually. Problem is this beast can hide for up to 14 days before showing its hand.

Maybe the best we can hope for is that levels are kept so low that medical treatment is available and services not overwhelmed, that death rates are low, and economies can function reasonably well.

But annual (or even twice annually) boosters seem to be a certainty.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Got so fed up of trying to register with different apps for the vaccine I decided to drive to my local Government Hospital the staff at one section of the hospital were busy giving vaccines to Thais . I was directed to a registration room took all of 5 minutes to complete and the young lady told me to expect a phone call in 1 to 2 months where a date and a time would be given to me . I did explain that although fit I was over 70 she told me that the hospital were concentrating on giving the vaccines to Thai nationals first which I understand , at least I am now registered so it’s a case of waiting to be contacted .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The third wave of COVID-19 that erupted in April has stretched the public health system to breaking point as daily cases soar into the thousands coupled with dozens of deaths. New clusters are still being found in Bangkok and other provinces, indicating the disease is spreading and evading controls.

Quick run for the hills.....

Scared GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mass vaccination going on eh!! Only this morning they announced that in Sangkhlaburi in Kanchanaburi Province, they had received ONE, yes only ONE shot of vaccination <deleted>!!!

I don't think they should build up there hopes yet somehow!!!!????????????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The third wave of COVID-19 that erupted in April has stretched the public health system to breaking point as daily cases soar into the thousands coupled with dozens of deaths. New clusters are still being found in Bangkok and other provinces, indicating the disease is spreading and evading controls.

I'd say the public health system, such as it is has done a sterling job since the outbreak.

What they haven't had is the full cooperation from the government when and where it was needed.

And now they're battling a shortage of vaccines which is compounding their already precious time and resources.

The people working within the "health system" have made it cope, the breaking point comes when government get involved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eastendanto said:

be a long time before woke culture infects the Thairistocracy

Infects ? Strange way to think that you become infected when Thai culture begins being les racist .

• Like 1