ISP Advice Needed

PaulDee

Good Morning,

For more than 10 years I've been using a True SIM card on my PC to access the Internet.

The connection has been slow and erratic lately, so I am interested in finding another

ISP that offers online access via a SIM card. (I do not have a land line.)

So far I've not had any success. Please tell me if you know that True is the one and only

such provider in Thailand, and/or if you have a suggestion for alternative providers.

Thank you,

Paul

• Confused 1

is this an intended-offtopic-shít-hits-the-fan thread?

well, if you are serious - go to Lazada and search for "dtac unlimited sim" or "ais unlimited sim", there are 2 varieties - unlimited traffic but limited speed (10 Mbps), or unlimited speed (usually about 50 Mbps, max 80-100) but limited traffic (60 Gb monthly)

Edited by fdsa

51 minutes ago, fdsa said:

well, if you are serious - go to Lazada and search for "dtac unlimited sim" or "ais unlimited sim", there are 2 varieties - unlimited traffic but limited speed (10 Mbps), or unlimited speed (usually about 50 Mbps, max 80-100) but limited traffic (60 Gb monthly)

Thank you, FDSA,

I will do that now.

I posted my question in the IT- Computer forum.

Why would you suggest it might be "intended-offtopic-shít-hits-the-fan thread?"

because the fact that you haven't found any ISP except Truemove is either ultimately naive or an intended request for offtopic.

If you have ever been to any large shop you should have seen offices or at least advertisements of another mobile ISP, such as DTAC or AIS.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

these sim cards cost about 1500 THB for 12 months (~120 THB/month), I've ordered mine from "ALOT shop".

8 hours ago, PaulDee said:

I do not have a land line.

Nor do most people who have "wired internet in the home. You don't need one.

You don't say where you are but can you not get True,3BB, or AIS fibre connected? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fdsa said:

Your speed estimates are way off base. You cannot write "usually about 50 Mbps", when actually you have no idea as to the speeds the OP can achieve at his location. So you are simply giving misleading info in that case. Not knocking your somewhat helpful advice; just managing the OP's expectations. I achieved 15 to 20 Mbps in the same city as the OP. Remember that they are using it in a residential building, rather than outside on the street.

Also your price estimates are a bit.....averaged out.

DTAC 10 Mbps unlimited is around 1350 baht and AIS 8-10 Mbps unlimited is 2200 baht.

DTAC SIM may have lower upload speed than download. AIS tends to be more symmetrical; though obviously you pay for that.

Limited data SIM are virtually useless if used as a main connection. 2 GB per day could be a very tight fight.

An alternative if DTAC offers good speeds at the OP's location; is https://finnmobile.io/en

First step? Buy a normal DTAC SIM for 50 baht and run a speed test. If consistently over 10 Mbps; then buy the 1300 baht DTAC SIM. If not, look at AIS.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-10-mbps-unlimited-i2321362697-s7843127435.html

https://www.jd.co.th/product/_4174189.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-8-mbps-ais-8-mbps-10-mbps-24-1-i1585018171-s4298422945.html

As an aside; if anyone wants one for a phone, as opposed for just use as a HotSpot, you can order one with a choice of number: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1-10mbps-dtac-dtac-by-simhub-i2325276189-s8425829727.html

In addition the USSD code for unlimited free calls to all networks is supplied. 50 baht per month for perhaps up to three months. Free calls within the DTAC network already included.

OP, I would start by talking to true and see if you can upgrade your exsisting sim. If what you say is correct and you have had the same sim for over 10 years (circa 2010), that would indicate you have a 3G sim/service/device. 4G wasn't introduced by true until 2013.

I think you may have to look beyond just changing cellular networks as it sounds like your actual device is most likely a 3G device.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I would start by talking to true and see if you can upgrade your exsisting sim. If what you say is correct and you have had the same sim for over 10 years (circa 2010), that would indicate you have a 3G sim/service/device. 4G wasn't introduced by true until 2013.

I think you may have to look beyond just changing cellular networks as it sounds like your actual device is most likely a 3G device.

Though it would be better to change the SIM and package anyway. Very unlikely that he has an unlimited service and certainly not at the price that is available now. 

Thank you, Peter and Eindhoven,

You make good points.

I AM using 3-G; even says so on my air card. 

I will visit True this afternoon and look into upgrading.

Thanks again,

Paul

10 minutes ago, PaulDee said:

Thank you, Peter and Eindhoven,

You make good points.

I AM using 3-G; even says so on my air card. 

I will visit True this afternoon and look into upgrading.

Thanks again,

Paul

Better to upgrade everything...and not with a Truemove H shop.

Reason being that they won't offer the same packages available from the independents and the fact that your Aircard is 3G(what is the model number?), which limits your available speeds anyway.

I would suggest perhaps a new router and one of the 12 month SIMs suggested(after testing which offers the best signal in your place of abode).

Example of router: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tp-link-300-mbps-wireless-n-4g-lte-router-tl-mr100-3-by-vnix-group-i1360246763-s3435058265.html

Edited by Eindhoven