Searching for answers - Van to Motorhome Conversion

A big shoutout to all Thai Visa keyboard warriors out there. In hope of receiving constructive answers, I am inquiring for a bit of help here, asking you guys and gals for some input, your 2 cents, some food for thought, links and other pointers...

My wife and I are still dreaming of converting a van or truck into a motorhome here in Thailand. Yes, we know that you can perhaps travel cheaper and hassle-free just doing road trips with your comfy SUV, checking in at local hotels or resorts... We did this over the past 15 years or so, but this (perhaps stupid) dream of having a camper van / motorhome still sticks with us and it won't go away. We simply can't help it and want to take the next step, what would be finding a proper van, bus or 6 or 10 wheeler to convert. Given that there are only trailers and/or converted pickup trucks available in Thailand and any import bought at i.e. Alibaba would kill us financially given the high import tax and (most likely expected) envelopes to "grease the gear" at customs... Thus, mulling over import is off the table...

Enough babble - here come the questions: Do any of you guys and gals have experience with such conversions and if yes, what kind of wheels and what model (available 2nd hand in Thailand - no import!) would you suggest to get. Could you point us towards good sources for conversion plans, sites, groups, etc. and what are the traps and pot holes to avoid that would save us frustration and wasting money while doing the conversion? Last but not least, do you know of any body shops that do a great job with fibre moulds and "remodelling" the exterior of buses and vans (to perhaps heighten the head space, etc.)? Where are all those large travel Doppeldecker buses being remodelled? Any pointer and helpful comment here would truly be appreciated.  Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to read through all of the above and for supporting us in our (perhaps childish?) dream.

Cheers, Freidenker 

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a thread on this subject, in this Forum.

As well as someone who posted in said thread selling one already converted for - I believe - 2 million baht

A search should find the thread - use google as the search function on this website is ...

motorhome thailand in Mr G will have them

Edited by canthai55

go on facebook, sorry dont have links, you can buy converted vans for about 200k - 400k
or you can find a used van for about 100-200k and convert yourself

other than that carryboy does converted pickups as mentioned above for 2mil

there is also a motorhome seller in bkk and few caravan sellers
there were rows of caravans imported from UK
lined up in Jomtien few months back, not sure if still there or who was selling them

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, patman30 said:

go on facebook, sorry dont have links, you can buy converted vans for about 200k - 400k
or you can find a used van for about 100-200k and convert yourself

other than that carryboy does converted pickups as mentioned above for 2mil

there is also a motorhome seller in bkk and few caravan sellers
there were rows of caravans imported from UK
lined up in Jomtien few months back, not sure if still there or who was selling them

Well, that should really get him sorted out!

• Haha 1

I had the same idea many years ago ...

I did never do it for a lot of different reasons ...

I wanted to buy a small bus ( there are a few nice ones out there , the stainless one f.e. )

I did not do it after I had a test drive ... the one I drove had an incredible hard suspension , it drove like a cement truck ...

may be you are more lucky ...?

Try Kaidee motors ... ( this is a big one : https://www.kaidee.com/product-361915465 )

or , may be , this : https://www.kaidee.com/product-362099244 ...?

That's an easy conversion : https://www.kaidee.com/product-361805032

good luck .

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Should be lots of tour buses cheap right now!   I follow couples building schoolies on IG and watch some you tubes.  The big craze here now is the ram, ford or Mercedes sprinter van conversions.  I was recently on an 8 day trip through 5 national parks, Zion, Bryce, grand canyon, Mesa Verde, arches in southern Utah, Arizona, NM, Colorado, these Vans  are everywhere.   I have talked to guys making them.  They easily get into them over 100k USD.  The pro pre built ones easily top 160k.  They look very nice.  In the Western US there are many public lands to park on to camp for free in safety.  Also WalMart has a policy letting RV'ers park overnight in their lots unless city codes don't allow this.  Many western locations cool off at night so aircon is not needed so these guys live mostly off grid and don't pay the high campground fees.  I priced a KOA campground fir a night near Mesa Verde and just a tent was 31. No fire, power, or water, or sewar  in that spot.  Could use the shower.  Full hook up campsites are easily in the 70$/ night range. 

Before to build one I suggest finding the outfit in Thailand I looked at that rents them and trying a week or 2.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You should start by figuring out what you want, and what your budget is. 

Are you looking for something to live in or spend a few nights in occasionally? 

It should work for road trips of up to 4 weeks without my wife and I killing each other ????