Samet Island Achieves 100% COVID-19 Vaccination Target

snoop1130

4ddeddd224fe01ea4bfa61de4bd08d5c_small.jpg

RAYONG (NNT) - The Public Health Ministry says the COVID-19 vaccination campaign has achieved a 100% success rate among its target group on Samet Island in Rayong province, which will boost tourist confidence in traveling to a COVID-19-free island.

Deputy Public Health Minister Satit Pitutacha said, during his visit to the Ban Koh Samet Community Hospital, that the island is a significant tourism site in Rayong, with more than 1.5 million visitors per year, who provide more than 200 billion baht per year in income, so the province wants people on the island vaccinated as soon as possible.

Everyone living on the island, including locals, foreign workers and forest officials working in the national park were listed as the first priority for inoculation. In total, 1,800 people have received their first doses.

Mr. Satit said the ministry wants to see the island free of COVID-19, as this is a way to ensure confidence among tourists. The island is now ready to welcome visitors, who can visit under “new normal” practices. The vaccine is a tool for economic recovery.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-06-10

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Everyone living on the island, including locals, foreign workers and forest officials working in the national park were listed as the first priority for inoculation. In total, 1,800 people have received their first doses.

your announcement is predictably premature 

Vaccinated is 2 doses as already pointed out many times - why are these people not getting it - is it blind ignorance or are they just plain thick

what's the point?

there is no "samet sandbox", the only one is phuket one - this island has an international airport.

But even that project is not confirmed yet and can be cancelled anytime.

Clearly domestic tourism is discouraged.

I would strongly suspect that very many resorts on samet are army/police owned, hence they were able to jump in vaccination even beofre phuket (here some 60% got it)

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

They only need to give them all a second dose in about 10 weeks to achieve the 100 % stated.

I'm surprised that a island official didn't declare that the island has now reached herd immunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Seems Thailands target level is somewhat lower than others.

"In total, 1,800 people have received their first doses." I'm certainly not an expert on Koh Samet, but I have been there a few times and there is NO way that I can believe that 1800 is the total population of people (or even 70% of the adults for "herd immunity") living and working on Koh Samet.  There are many more than that.  Perhaps a "0" is missing there?  Or am I misunderstanding this article.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, carlf said:

"In total, 1,800 people have received their first doses." I'm certainly not an expert on Koh Samet, but I have been there a few times and there is NO way that I can believe that 1800 is the total population of people (or even 70% of the adults for "herd immunity") living and working on Koh Samet.  There are many more than that.  Perhaps a "0" is missing there?  Or am I misunderstanding this article.

January 2013, the population of Koh Samed was estimated at 2870 residents,  mostly Thai and Cambodian.