Import duty on shipping cost when bringing an item personally on a flight?

OneMoreFarang

We just have another tread about high import duties. By now many of us are aware of that problem.

Personally one part which I hate most is that the import duty is also paid on the shipping cost, not only on the imported item.

Now my question is: If I travel to Europe and I buy an item and bring that with me on a flight to Thailand. Is there any duty on shipping cost?

Lets make this imagined example: Item price in Europe: 1,000 EUR, 10kg weight.

If I would ship it to Thailand, i.e. with DHL, I would pay i.e. 30% duty on the 1,000 EUR and 30% on the shipping cost. For 10kg that could be a lot of money, let's say i.e. 200 EUR for shipping = 30% of 200 EUR more duty to pay.

I know that's the way when an item is shipped to Thailand.

Now what would happen if I come on a flight with that 10kg item? I declare it with the value of 1,000 EUR. Would I only have to pay import tax on the price of the item? Or would customs still charge extra for imagined shipping cost? Let's assume in this case that I didn't pay any extra charges and the transport was included in my ticket price.

Because there is no shipping cost as you are carrying it with you, there would not be any basis to tax shipping. On the dozens of entries to Thailand over the last 20 years I have only ever been stopped twice by customs. Both times when bringing in furnishings/fittings for my condo and both times with brown cardboard boxes. If you can transport the item in handcarry or a suitcase then the chances of being stopped are minimal. On one of the occassions, my large box was full of high quality new bed linens (probably about £600 value). The agents seemed to think I should be paying tax on it but after about 5 minutes they gave up as it was probably too difficult for them to value and calculate. They even offered to help me repack and seal the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now what would happen if I come on a flight with that 10kg item? I declare it with the value of 1,000 EUR. Would I only have to pay import tax on the price of the item? Or would customs still charge extra for imagined shipping cost?

post-87530-0-69743200-1461032786.jpg.5214d5282134d4e7884203739d7b6eb0.jpg

59 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you make it look used (no original packing) the chances are good that even if you declare it the customs chaps won't be interested and will file it under "too hard".

The airport officers are after the easy targets, too much booze, too many ciggies. Simple limits, simple penalties.

To answer our OP's actual question, I suspect they would just charge you the duty on the item plus VAT.

EDIT In 30 years of buzzing around the known universe I've been accosted by customs twice.

• Once in The Netherlands (arriving from Thailand), "are these Diesel etc. shirts real?" - I bought them here before going to Thailand (actually the truth although I could never have proven it), thankyou sir.
  • Once at Swampy (arriving from India), "what's in this box sir", "it is what is says on the box, a computer monitor", thankyou sir.

Travelling with the wife into Ireland with 55Kg of Thai food.  2x 30Kg suitcaes.

Customs: Anything to declare in your luggage?

Me: Ah, I have a few packs of noodles and soups.

Customs: Gowan

• Like 1

Remove from original box, have no receipts or anything identifying it as a new item, pack in a crappy box, declare nothing breeze through customs without a though in the world a la johnny Depp in blow. 

I think you're personal exemption now is 20kthb. Traveling with wife 40k. If it can be packed in a suitcase then I think you'll be pretty good. If it's in a box it might be a little more suspect.

They definitely apply for more scrutiny these days at least free covid. I've been stopped once or twice but that's over many many years. It's also coming in with the wife with luggage completely maxed out.

I bring back car parts into Thailand everytime I return and also often get friends to being me car parts.

Never been an issue.

Due to covid I had to send some over by registered post and i was made to pay.

I have a mate who brought his whole Harley Davidson over in pieces over multiple plane trips and he also had no issues.

• Like 1

In dozens of entry to Thailand, most from China, I've only been stopped once going through the x-ray at the green lane.   I brought a bunch of fishing hooks, lures, weights and swivels that I couldn't find at shops in Thailand.  Hundreds of identical items showing up on the x-ray triggered them.  I declared the value honestly at around $100USD and paid import duties of  few hundred baht.  Pleasant agent, and he basically told me that he had to hit me up because of the quantity, even though the value was so low.  There was no fine, just the duties- so there was no downside to going through the green line declaring nothing, and "getting caught".  He also accepted my declaration of value without discussion.

Unless your item is in a separate box that screams "new and expensive" (or booze or smokes or dope that everyone knows about) I wouldn't even worry about import duties bringing something in luggage.  Many of us carry thousands of dollars of laptops, phones, media players, etc. and never get a second look.  

Of course, your mileage may vary during Covid, when there are so few arrivals that they have the time to scrutinize everyone.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I brought back a 13.5kkg Hesston Barista coffee machine brand new in the box in a case a couple of years ago with no problem but there could have been and my £350 saving could have been toast that's the lottery???? 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

...Now what would happen if I come on a flight with that 10kg item? I declare it with the value of 1,000 EUR. Would I only have to pay import tax on the price of the item? Or would customs still charge extra for imagined shipping cost? Let's assume in this case that I didn't pay any extra charges and the transport was included in my ticket price.

In the Thai company where I worked years ago, an employee in my department brought back a spare part for her motor car and had to pay import duty on the assessed CIF value. The "imagined shipping cost" was calculated at 1% of the first class fare for that flight, which was according to the regulations at that time and if they have not changed in  meantime, the same will apply today.

• Thanks 1