Phuket pubs, bars to stay closed for July 1 Sandbox reopening

webfact

3 hours ago, riverhigh said:

The more I read, the more I am convinced the only way out is vaccination. Lockdowns, social distancing, closing bars, etc., are not sustainable and enforceable in the long run. I am already seeing bars in Pattaya open with falangs drinking iced beer, no social distancing, no masks. Not justifying the Pattaya falang and Thai ber owners's disregard for rules just pointing out the reality of the situation.  

Agreed. Lockdowns and stuff are just a necessary evil to buy time for vaccinations. In that context, I really can’t understand what Australians end game is. Are they going to just lockdown every time they get a few cases, ad infinitum? I mean, I know they are good at lockdowns and have had great results, but it’s not a solution.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darkside Gray said:

So they really don't want people to go.

I agree,  I think the government wants this to fail. First only 7 days, now 14 days, can't go here or there, no bars open and so on.  Everyday they make it harder for this idea to succeed. Give the locals some hope and then take away.  Seems to me the PM wants Thailand to be the next Burma , with his picture on every street light just like in Vietnam. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, they got one thing right...it is indeed a "sandbox re-opening"...the only thing a tourist can do is play around in a small sandbox; by themselves. Hope there are no cats around to mess up the sandbox.

• Haha 2

My theory...and you can puke on it all you want if you wish.  This Wuhan Virus is creating a whole new and different life experience paradigm: work from home, mask up in public, keep your "social distance", traditional and historic meet-up places and places of entertainment are passe'. How does this apply to balding middle-to-old age punters wanting to meet their dreamgirl Thai cream-puff ??? Web Up...she'll be there and you'll meet her there; and drop you there after a masked-up meet up romance.

59 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

i wonder how you can have booking from people coming from july ? from what i understand they HAVE TO stay in a certified hotel for 2 weeks so they cant book airbnb /condos /villas ?

I did say later in the year, and the guest we have now already done their 15 days quarantine in BKK, there is nothing stopping anybody going on to airbnb and make a booking for later in the year,

Edited by ChipButty

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Right, I'm sure they will all be lining up to come to Thailand which still has lockdown conditions just as their home countries remove these very same restrictions ????

I remember about a week ago seeing a guy on a motorcycle drive right into a car that was passing a truck in his lane.  He didn't move, didn't avoid, didn't adjust - just drove right into the front of the car.

There is an analogy here.

The PM, every power elite, every minister, the head of TAT, the governor, the mayor, and those supporting these economy devastating "rules" are like the guy on the motorcycle except this time his is carrying his whole family.  They are unwilling or unable to see the obvious heading straight for them.  They aren't moving, aren't avoiding, and are not adjusting. 
They just create illogical plans in the face of global reality and then push the accelerator to the floor.

We know how it ends; they won't see it coming.

2 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

I can’t wait to read what utter garbage they make up regarding the arrival figures from 1st July to say 14th July  !!

Its going to be either the greatest success story spouting thousands arrived when it’s more like a few hundred or it will be a made up new Covid outbreak so they had to cancel it after a few days in the public’s interest  , just to save face because nobody was interested ! ????

I fear it could be the later, also Thai's have cancelled their trips we should have had some family here at the moment, they cancelled and next month July quite a few friends wanted to come do some trips have BBQ few drinks, thats all cancelled

• Like 1

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

So let's try to attract tourists but keep bars, nightclubs and no booze in establishments closed. What planet do these monk..s live on? 

Planet Prohibition!

image0.jpg.6a46ff54d482c8101e7dedf6fac4d555.jpg

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

There is no intention of allowing "normalcy" to ever return.  How can you make any and every law you want and buy up all the real estate for pennies on the dollar otherwise?

However, you have to keep floating hope out there to keep the natives good boys and girls and not revolt.

I think you are close to the money. There is no question that there is alot going on here, that does not meet the eye. The absence of common sense, reason and logic alone does not answer the multitude of questions one has about the questionable behavior, policies and the mass of contradictions we are seeing. There seem to be competing forces at play, and none of them have the same agenda. 

However, I can say some of that applies to Covid policy worldwide. 

• Like 2

It makes sense keeping bars closed to stop the spread. With the exception of those who live here I didnt think anybody would have come anyway due to having to go though hoops and all the extra costs involved  when they return from their holidays and not just the costs and hoops  to get to Thailand its not just Thailand that put up hurdles 

Another brilliant marketing stunt for Phuket / Thailand. The pockets are so empty that before getting 70% vaccinated it will be hart to see any business returning... NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT the vaccination only protecting at a 90% rate and efficacy maybe a year. By the time the last one is done you will restart.

5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Have an election? Bars have to close, tourists can't drink.

Many Buddha days? Bars have to close, even for non-Buddhists and other nationalities.

Important birthday? Bars have to close, tourists can't drink.

Try to kick start tourist economy? Bars have to close, tourists can't drink.

This is supposed to be so that Thais don't get drunk on the day, yet, Thais and government know full well that they can buy booze the day before to drink.

Tourists don't want to drink in their rooms, they want to go out to entertainment areas.

This country shoots itself in the foot over and over and over again.........for no valid reason or gain.

If you are in a rural area you can go to the local mom and pop store and buy alcohol on those days 

• Like 1

And they still expect tourists to come one thing is for sure on July 1st they won’t be posting images of all those arriving . The governor and his hangers on couldn’t organise a PI$$ UP in a brewery ????????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I did say later in the year, and the guest we have now already done their 15 days quarantine in BKK, there is nothing stopping anybody going on to airbnb and make a booking for later in the year,

ok makes sense , i also have some airbnb so was wondering thats all ???? good luck

46 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

....and next month July quite a few friends wanted to come do some trips have BBQ few drinks, thats all cancelled

People going back into the UK need to quarantine too now. And unlike last year when it was a bit of a joke, this year there are follow up calls, checks, etc, and fines for not complying.  So that's 2 weeks to a month of restrictions surrounding the holiday at either end. And then there are the mandatory covid tests for both flights and on entry. More cost, and people jamming rods into your sinuses.

I can tell you as someone currently doing a 15 day quarantine stretch -I wouldn't go through this expensive <deleted> again even if you reversed the cost and paid it to me, never mind having to pay for the ordeal myself. Just not worth the hassle.

IMHO the insane or ignorant are the ones NOT  cancelling their holidays.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aj Mick said:

Phuket entertainment venues "agreed" to keep closed.......? Methinks they had no choice but to agree.

they HAPPILY agreed to stay of out work and keep losing tons of money every months and die financially.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Tomyami's comments (below) are spot on - this 'sandbox' approach to opening makes no sense - as I have said before, if the government really wants to get back to business as usual, they should pull out all stops to get everyone vaccinated before year-end - but, this will never happen as long as they wait for SP to produce the amount of vaccines needed - other vaccines are available, but the government will do nothing - and we all know the reason why.

• Like 2