Direct deposit account for American Social Security

Mansell

Hi guys.

I recently moved here from Korat. I opened a regular bank account here with BKK bank. They told me I didn’t have to open a direct deposit account as I had one in Korat and they could just transfer the money to my Pattaya account. I have done this twice and it is easy. But it suddenly occurred to me that I will need a letter for Immigration from the bank stating a year of deposits for my Extension in September.....it supposedly has to be the same day, but usually you go into the bank five days earlier and they order it from Bangkok. That isn’t going to work if the account is 400 kilometers away.

So I pointed this out to my Pattaya bank yesterday, and they didn’t seem to have a clue. They wouldn’t open another direct deposit account while the other one existed. Told me I had to contact SS in Manila in the Philippines. Somebody on here must have run into this same situation when they moved here from another city......if so what did you do? Thanks for any responses.

• Confused 1

I have a direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank in another province. I have gotten 2 one year bank statements and bank letters for my extension from a branch here. They have also issued new bank books when I need one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have a direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank in another province. I have gotten 2 one year bank statements and bank letters for my extension from a branch here. They have also issued new bank books when I need one.

Thanks Joe. They seemed to think they couldn’t do that, and also rambled on about the money coming through Citibank USA to Citibank Thailand and then to Bangkok bank here. I’ve never heard of SS coming through Citibank. What are your two provinces?

15 hours ago, Mansell said:

Thanks Joe. They seemed to think they couldn’t do that, and also rambled on about the money coming through Citibank USA to Citibank Thailand and then to Bangkok bank here. I’ve never heard of SS coming through Citibank. What are your two provinces?

If you set up you set up a international direct deposit to a Thai bank it is transferred from the US treasury department in baht and some are routed through CITI bank or the Bank Of Thailand (BOT).

What you apparently have is a direct deposit through the Bangkok Bank branch in New York that is transferred in dollars and appears as FTT transfer.

I deal with a bank branch here in Ubon and my direct deposit account was set up when staying temporarily in Pattaya. Several years ago I went through everything and opened a new direct deposit at Bangkok Bank here but it never got set up with the SSA via Manila. Apparently the main office in Bangkok never finished getting it set up since I am able to use the account with online banking. 

53 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought that my NYBB direct deposit was set up using my SSA change that I made online two months after requesting at SSA.gov

You have to set up a direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank first.

Info is here on the Bangkok Bank website. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ross163103 said:

A little off subject; will SSA send to any bank in Thailand or only Bangkok bank?

It can be sent to any Thai bank after changing to International Direct Deposit.

It will be transferred in Baht by the US treasury and will go through the Bank Of Thailand before going to account.

Enrollment form is here. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

• Like 1

Another question relating to the monies IRS sends for Covid relief. I got the first two checks by mail which took a few months to arrive. But the latest for 1,400 dollars hasn’t arrived ........yet! I was wondering if anybody has received that one by mail? Thanks.

50 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Another question relating to the monies IRS sends for Covid relief. I got the first two checks by mail which took a few months to arrive. But the latest for 1,400 dollars hasn’t arrived ........yet! I was wondering if anybody has received that one by mail? Thanks.

My first two were direct deposit to my BKB. The third was to go out March 16. They included a letter was to go out first to my current address. I was told that was to be a bank card. I updated my address while on the phone. I emailed  that I had a new address and so far nothing,  so would they send another. That letter arrived May 25 and was a forwarded from old address. The Check arrived May 31st. 

23 hours ago, Mansell said:

https://www.irs.gov

I assumed you did check Get My Payment