Marriage Visa Extension

I applied for and goet a marriage visa last year and it will expire in about three months. It was my first and I had the 400,000 Baht in the bank two months in advance. I had the bank print out the 400,000 Baht document, took it to immigration along with with my bankbook, wife's house registration, ID card and my wife.  I can't remember exactly what I else I needed but I must have had all the correct papers. Soon after, the immigration officer came to our house, took pictures, interviewed our two selected neighbors, and checked the house. The immigration official, very polite, consumed huge quantities of our carefully prepared Thai cuisine not to mention lots of my very expensive single malt scotch. All good though.

When I go to apply for another one-year extension I am wondering what I need to take. I know I will definitely need proof of the 400,00Baht in the bank two month in advance and my bankbook. No problem. Does the 400,000 Baht proof document have to be updated the day a actually apply for the visa? Would my wife have to come with me again? What other documents might they need? Is it advisable to apply for the extension a few weeks before my present visa expires? And after I get the visa, I have to keep the 400,000Baht in the bank for two more months. I am curious if they actually check that I have not touched  that 400,000 Baht. 

Thanks for your time.

You have a one year is extension of stay (visas are not extended) based upon marriage last year.

Your wife will have to be with you and you will need all the same documents to apply for another one. Whether they will another home visit depends upon the office where you apply.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months before you apply and until your return at the end of the under consideration stamp at many offices and they want a copy of your updated bank book. At some office the 30 day under consideration period starts from the end of your current extension.

You will need to update your bank book on the day you apply at most offices. You will also need a letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance on the day the letter is done.

At most office you can apply for your extension up to 30 day early. I suggest doing at least 2 weeks early incase you need to get additional documents.

Here is my general list of documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• Like 1

I just picked up my extension of stay from Nonthaburi Immigration this morning. I concur with everything Ubone Joe mentioned, except for bank balance. Nonthaburi required not just a letter from the bank and a copy of your updated passbook, but also a statement of the account on the day I applied for the extension. (No if's or buts) When I went back to the bank and asked for the statement, they were like..... why? (It's an investment account and everything was on the one page of of my bankbook and has been in the bank for several years) I tried explaining this to immigration, but it was like hitting my head against a brick wall....I just gritted my teeth and complied.

Not what my wife wanted, but I instructed her to supply nothing more than water, lemonade or juice to the visiting officers. 

Edited by thaiwally

I just did my marriage extension of stay application in Hua Hin last week.

In addition to everything on UbonJoe's list they wanted copies of the witness's blue book and ID card. In my case, since my wife is not the "house master" they wanted a copy of the house master's ID card as well.

One thing missing from Joe's list - you need 2 passport-size photos.

5 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Soon after, the immigration officer came to our house, took pictures, interviewed our two selected neighbors, and checked the house.

Never even lived at our registered address....it belongs to the out-laws. As soon as the papers were done and finished we left and started to tour around......... living hotels .......not sure what would happen if immigration ever pitched up!!!!!

"The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for months before you apply and until your return at the end of the under consideration stamp at many offices and they want a copy of your updated bank book"

Hi Ubon Joe. In your reply to my post did you mean "for 2 months"? Sorry, I just read the the marriage extension requirements that you were good enough to send me and it states "Proof of 400K in the bank for 2  months." So I have just answered my own question. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

Hi Ubon Joe. In your reply to my post did you mean "for 2 months"?

Just edited the typo in my post.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months before you apply and until your return at the end of the under consideration stamp at many offices and they want a copy of your updated bank book.