Tourism minister: Phuket unlikely to be ready for "sandbox" opening - "sealed route" share with Samui proposed

webfact

7 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Errrrrrrr Just a minute, does the tourist have a say in any of this? For example maybe some maybe do not want to go to Samui or anywhere else for that matter except maybe the mainland can they stay in Phuket for the whole two weeks?? Then proceed directly to the mainland...........

I really  don't  think  that you will  be forced to go ko samui  if u don't want.  ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I would say No as it is all about the money being distributed.

That is all part of this scheme Koh Samui has been aggressively vaccinating and are 50% fully vaccinated already claiming to reach herd immunity and ready by July 1.  So, they want a piece of the tourist dollar pie.

Exactly what I was thinking - "Please cut me a slice of that tourist cake"  There again, nothing really on offer if all bars, fine dining (without wine), all other forms of public entertainment are closed    .................LOL

• Like 1

Just to clarify, plan is not only to force tourists which hotel they can stay but also to be forced to move around every 7 days? 

something like luxury self paid prison where you pay top dollar but get told where to stay , where to sleep and where to eat.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Ahhh, there we are. Today’s flip flop is on the board already.

now where’s the post saying xyz million vaccines have been bought and will arrive on the 12th never? Haven’t seen that yet today.

As they sing on the football stadium terraces:

"It's all gone quiet over there,

It's all gone quiet over there!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Ahhh, there we are. Today’s flip flop is on the board already.

now where’s the post saying xyz million vaccines have been bought and will arrive on the 12th never? Haven’t seen that yet today.

Give it till tomorrow'... 

• Like 1

"Earlier Thaivisa reported that bars and entertainment in Phuket would not be open for tourists to enjoy on July 1st prompting many to say such news would hardly inspire foreign tourism. "

Got news for ya baby! Neither are the bars in Samui!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well done lads, get the hopes up of 100's of hotels, get them to sign up to SHA, employ and get their staff ready, get the tour operators geared up. Then pull the rug from under them again...............

Now do the right thing with no delusional targets, wait until Phuket is really ready, that will probably be a few months yet.

More like years I'm afraid

42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I would say No you will be forced to go as it is all about the money being distributed.

That is all part of this scheme Koh Samui has been aggressively vaccinating and are 50% fully vaccinated already claiming to reach herd immunity and ready by July 1.  So, they want a piece of the tourist dollar pie.

And if so, where are the tourists going to spend it? The situation is the same in SAmui as Phuket - the bars are all closed, and no alcohol is allowed to be consumed in restaurants. Or is there a nice surprise for Samui hiding round the corner?  

Why am I not surprised ?

Why did Thai embassies and consulates did not get any information that this "sandbox model" could go ahead ?

Now we know....it was clear right in the beginning that this model would not be followed up seriously .

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Heck, those 10 Americans who'd booked to come to Phuket in early July are going to be fuming!

Not only that, I understand their tickets are non-refundable.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sharp said:

They are talking about the Samui addition to the scheme if not mistaken the Phuket opening still in play?? "yes /no 

My initial thoughts were the same, but after reading the article again I’m not sure. 

So we have a bunch of delegates from Surat Thani having a meeting about getting in on the Phuket Sandbox program, with the tourism minister informing the delegates to forget it as Phuket isn’t ready.

Not ready ? Phuket is not ready to open, or Phuket is not ready to share its visitors by agreeing a sealed route with Surat Thani ?

I seriously doubt the tourism minister would inform the governors of Surat Thani the Phuket sandbox program will not be going ahead, before he informs the governors of Phuket.

I reckon this is fake news, nothing more than a rumour, probably stirred up by the Surat Thani delegates after being disappointed at being told they have to wait.