Tourism minister: Phuket unlikely to be ready for "sandbox" opening - "sealed route" share with Samui proposed

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Provided tests at the end of the first two weeks came back negative they would then be free to travel in the rest of Thailand. 

But the rest of Thailand won't be ready?

Dreaming again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I would say No you will be forced to go as it is all about the money being distributed.

That is all part of this scheme Koh Samui has been aggressively vaccinating and are 50% fully vaccinated already claiming to reach herd immunity and ready by July 1.  So, they want a piece of the tourist dollar pie.

No they wont make you go there. BUT , you will have to book and pay 7 nights in advance at a Samui hotel , regardless of whether you have already done that in Phuket , or you own a condo or luxury villa in either destination. Because the reason you can come is to save Thai tourism and we really dont give a damn if you have a good holiday or not.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

The article didn't say "why" Phuket would not be ready. 

I expect that Phuket is indeed ready but there are so few bookings to arrive in July it would be a huge loss of face to have a grand opening but practically no one showed-up except maybe the CNN new crew to televise worldwide a failed grand opening.   

Therefore, better to just delay the grand opening to a future date (subject to constant change).

Sure, that’s certainly possible, or a realization that a lack vaccine means the targets wouldn’t be met.

either or both odds on favorite I think.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Next, and I have said it already, the airlines will just pull the plug as they aren't about to lose a load more money on top of the colossal amounts already only for the Thais to change their minds at the last minute or bowing to the flip flopping of an Incompetent government.

Exactly, something I’ve also said myself before. To all the people who think the final say will come from the Thai government you are all wrong, the airlines will have the final say.

Whatever decision will been made by the Thai government, whatever is eventually confirmed on the Royal Gazette, if the airlines don’t like what they see they will not be putting flights on for you. 

Anyone who has a flight booked start praying now your airline doesn’t pull the rug, instead of worrying about getting a beer on Bangla Road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

While not surprising, such a last-minute flip-flop is obviously very bad, as it alienates those who have already booked flights and accommodation.

Here's a new slogan for TAT: Amazing Thailand never fails to disappoint. Guaranteed. 

I don't think there will be many disappointed because I don't think that there's much chance that anybody apart from the foolhardy or downright stupid had booked ????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

So, the sandbox plan has become a ," basket case "

Bound to happen.

No word from our glorious leader the "vaccine Czar? "..????????

and the sand is leaking out the basket faster that the beach in Pattaya after a bit of rain...

• Like 2

Im thinking it's more about TAT know how many tourist are coming or not coming and it's a complete failure, when normally this is low season get everybody jabbed and ready to open November 1st which used to be the start of high season then they could have the lady boy carnival in Patong beach 

18 minutes ago, Desire2016 said:

Does the Thai government really know what they are doing?????, I lived in Phuket for 17 years I have never known of a government that can move the goal posts so often 

Do you really need to ask this question ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

While not surprising, such a last-minute flip-flop is obviously very bad, as it alienates those who have already booked flights and accommodation.

Here's a new slogan for TAT: Amazing Thailand never fails to disappoint. Guaranteed. 

I strongly doubt that anyone have booked flights and accomodation. The first tourists to arrive in the sandbox, will most likely be freebies invited by TAT, in order to promote the opening, hence the plan to fly them to Samui for days 8-14.

It’s unbelievable!

Any project manager with a record like this would join the rows of those unemployed, not getting any contract anymore.

They had months!

Even worse: they seem to think, there aren’t any touristic alternatives in world...

Most potential tourists will try to base their vacation planning on more reliable announcements.

“Amazing Thailand“  

Yes !   ...  However: said in a total different meaning, than you guys are intended it to be. 

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No surprise.  But, most with common sense knew it was a failed "scheme" from the beginning.

Hope all those folks got refundable flights, etc.  The plan now fly people to Samui from Phuket?

What a cluster... Unbelievable.  

Sorry and sadly cannot see any of these plans working until the vaccination process is complete here, bars and all businesses are fully prepared to open which my guess unfortunately will be sometime next year. 

As we all know Bankok Airways own the Airport thats why Fligts triple from Swampy so i will give you 1 guess how much it will cost to fly to Samui to get to phuket.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No surprise.  But, most with common sense knew it was a failed "scheme" from the beginning.

Hope all those folks got refundable flights, etc.  The plan now fly people to Samui from Phuket?

What a cluster... Unbelievable.  

Sorry and sadly cannot see any of these plans working until the vaccination process is complete here, bars and all businesses are fully prepared to open which my guess unfortunately will be sometime next year. 

Spot on!.  No one should be surprised with this decision, the only people who are TOTALLY out of step with everyone else are the current Government. I only have one question, when are they going to be held accountable for undermining Thailand's future or are we gonna wake up one morning to find they have all shot through to South America LOL

• Like 1