Just got Astra Zeneca vaccine---hope all foreigners can

neilrob

So they're going to deny you a vaccine and risk your life because you suffer from hypertension, an extremely common problem for older, somewhat overweight people? I've never heard of this being the case anywhere else in the world, why are the Thais being so picky?

On 6/12/2021 at 2:44 PM, neilrob said:

I was treated throughout with courtesy and consideration---certainly no sign of resentment that foreigners were taking jabs that might go to Thais. I hope that all who want can get vaccinated soon

You would think that simple math would work, e.g. Thai can get infected, Farang can get infected, both can spread it, so both should get it. I take it math wasn't a pass subject for most, you know, you have failed, bring me a new broom for the classroom and you will pass, etc, etc.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

my blood pressure  is up or down depending on the nurse's age and looks   555

So that's why mine was elevated when I went into Bangkok Hospital the other day, the wife looking at my trouser with eyes rolling back again when the nurse was standing next to me, she was one of those real pretty ones that you just want to give more than a smile, perhaps a tip.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

So that's why mine was elevated when I went into Bangkok Hospital the other day, the wife looking at my trouser with eyes rolling back again when the nurse was standing next to me, she was one of those real pretty ones that you just want to give more than a smile, perhaps a tip.

For all we know, the nurse might appreciate your tip...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Guderian said:

So they're going to deny you a vaccine and risk your life because you suffer from hypertension, an extremely common problem for older, somewhat overweight people? I've never heard of this being the case anywhere else in the world, why are the Thais being so picky?

Elevated blood pressure is not considered a contraindication for Covid vaccination in other countries. Trials of all the approved vaccines included people with heart conditions, and many nations actually prioritize those with hypertension because of their increased risk of bad outcomes if they become infected with Covid.

Which is riskier for people with heart conditions: COVID-19 or the vaccine?

There’s no question: Having COVID-19 is much riskier than the vaccine, especially for people with an underlying health condition. 

The COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. In comparison, having COVID-19 can cause severe illness or death in people with heart problems. For example, you may be more at risk for COVID-19 complications if you have:

Because of this, the CDC has recommended that people with heart conditions should get the vaccine. 

"Can People With Heart Problems Safely Get the COVID-19 Vaccine? - GoodRx" https://www.goodrx.com/blog/covid-19-vaccine-and-heart-disease/

• Like 2

@neilrob

This is obviously a loophole of the system. There are foreigners who have the same visa and stayed almost as long in Thailand who are still unable to get an appointment just because they don't have a pink ID.

This phase  actually should be for Thai people only.

Pink ID holders are not permanent residents, they are just temporary residents on a yearly renewal.

As usual, Thai system is unsystematic.

Edited by EricTh

22 minutes ago, JTS said:

Bangkok, age o092C1FEF-6310-4CDC-833B-A333A9D63938.thumb.png.635424c626ffff6a1767e27504babc8b.pngver 60.

In the https://thailandintervac.com/ website, how does one “select a convenient date to receive the vaccine”?

Tapping in this screen on any date this year does not work.

I have tried this numerous times... only once was I successful in securing a date (which was for AZ at MedPark) I didn’t confirm the booking because I’ve already been vaccinated (I was just ‘testing’ if the booking worked). 

I noticed that the system is extremely buggy and numerous attempts need to be made before a date becomes available, then when the date becomes available there are no times available or the vaccine is not available. 

It seems that securing an actual booking with Thai Intervac is extremely hit and miss, ultimately mostly miss. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have tried this numerous times... only once was I successful in securing a date (which was for AZ at MedPark) I didn’t confirm the booking because I’ve already been vaccinated (I was just ‘testing’ if the booking worked). 

I noticed that the system is extremely buggy and numerous attempts need to be made before a date becomes available, then when the date becomes available there are no times available or the vaccine is not available. 

It seems that securing an actual booking with Thai Intervac is extremely hit and miss, ultimately mostly miss. 

Happy testing , very thoughtful of you

The fact that another nurse queried whether a foreigner should be able to get the vaccine ! Think about it ' a member of the health profession '. Fact it even crossed their mind .  Nasty vile people

Edited by pixelaoffy

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Can you relax?

I feel relaxed but become overly talkative in these situations. For my turn I focused on breathing slowly, about 4 breaths per minute, but the BP was still way higher than I've had before. I'm now looking for ideas to help my MIL and potentially other Thai visa members. So far we've tried to help her focus on breathing, let her try to sleep on a stretcher, let her watch TV, listen to calming music, all to no avail. Once back home her BP drops back to normal as she watches TV and sleeps... 

45 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

The fact that another nurse queried whether a foreigner should be able to get the vaccine ! Think about it ' a member of the health profession '. Fact it even crossed their mind .  Nasty vile people

When i got my vacine,none of the nurses batted an eye,just checked my pink card smiled and gave me a form, at every stage they were as nice as pie.

• Like 1

Well that's me stuffed then, my BP has been known to be 172 & higher over 89 & higher when getting tested at hospital, and that's with me taking regular BP medication, when at home my pressure is normal.

I did have minor surgery under general anaesthetic a few months back and my BP was high then so hopefully if I get the jab at a private hospital & I'm paying they might not be so fussy.

Unfortunately no matter what I try I can't get a jab anywhere, I went on the Intervac site earlier, now I just get some waffle that it's for diplomats and certain groups, of which I'm one ie: overweight, well over 60 but it won't let me progress but no worries as the Bangkok Pattaya hospital has been removed from the list anyway.

HOW CAN I GET INT0 THE FOREIGNERS 60+ WITH ILLNESS QUEUE?????

There's a special website for the above group of which I'm a more than well qualified member - it's https://thailandintervac.com - different from  the general expats one which is https://thailandintervac.com/expatriates

It took me days to get my basic registration done - The website only opens 12: noon till 3pm each day and even then it was not letting me enter district and subdistrict - similar (I think intentional) glitch to the 90 days reporting scam. Eventually on Tuesday I got registered su h that I could then make a booking.

But now after three days of trying I can't book an appointment for vaccination because when the calendar loads up there are no slots showing available.

Meanwhile, I know many youngster is their 20s and 30s who've had the vaccination and there is now news that vaccination will be opened up to many other groups from mid June.

I'm stuck. what can I do?

On 6/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It's natural that it will drop a little.

My Pressure was 137 / 93 (highest its been for a while), but I’d just walked from the carpark, register and then straight to blood pressure test (plus I’d had too many beers the night before !).

After the post vaccine 30 minute post vaccine ‘sit and chill’ my blood pressure was back down to 125 / 83 (which is the norm for me). 

Thus: Quite often, when people arrive at a hospital etc, have walked somewhere etc their blood pressure may be slightly elevated - if it is, a short wait can bring the blood pressure back to that persons normal levels. 

IF the blood pressure does not go back down to ‘normal levels’ that may mean the person does have an underlying medial issue and receiving the vaccine may not be a good idea from the hospitals point of view.

Thai nurses have no clue how to take blood pressure. They sit you down immediately and don't ask if you've been walking a while, do not account for being outside in extreme heat for prolonged period of time, place the blood pressure cuff on the wrong arm, might place it over clothing even though it could be pulled back.

What's really funny is their reaction 200/105 nothing. Do you think that's a little high? No, well maybe...

Lol

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Thai nurses have no clue how to take blood pressure. They sit you down immediately and don't ask if you've been walking a while, do not account for being outside in extreme heat for prolonged period of time, place the blood pressure cuff on the wrong arm, might place it over clothing even though it could be pulled back.

What's really funny is their reaction 200/105 nothing. Do you think that's a little high? No, well maybe...

Lol

Totally agree. They often place the cuff in the wrong place and use small, battery powered Amron units. 

I have one at home and being 70+ take BP regularly, as recommended by a highly respected cardiologist in Hong Kong. He also said to take 3 or 4 readings and average them out.

I keep a photographic record on my phone, and this proved useful when at a dental clinic recently. Theirs read 168/90, twice. So I dragged out the phone and showed her my photo reading of a few hours before at home. So she recorded my reading of 133/77 and that was it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alien365 said:

Does anyone have a method of bringing their BP down in such situations? 

Only thing that works for me in those situations is valium.No matter what i try a trip to the hospital always makes my BP soar. 170 + when at home it is usually 130/72.

4 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Totally agree. They often place the cuff in the wrong place and use small, battery powered Amron units. 

I have one at home and being 70+ take BP regularly, as recommended by a highly respected cardiologist in Hong Kong. He also said to take 3 or 4 readings and average them out.

I keep a photographic record on my phone, and this proved useful when at a dental clinic recently. Theirs read 168/90, twice. So I dragged out the phone and showed her my photo reading of a few hours before at home. So she recorded my reading of 133/77 and that was it.

We all know they are just trained monkeys..... and they wonder why they cant tranfer their godly skills to the west....

Edited by Seeall