Motorbike without license plates

I am looking to buy a second hand motorbike for son and he has found one. On the plus side, the bike has green book and chassis number matches, appears to have all sellers paperwork, photos and signatures. On the downside the tax is only paid til 2563 but the big concern is that there is no license plate. 

Can bike be transferred from seller without existing plate and what is required and cost to get new plate? Thanks for any advice 

Just refuse to purchase it without regular number plates, as simple as that. Let the seller settle everything before purchasing. If he refuses, no regrets, the second-hand motorbike market will certainly offer you valid alternatives in a short while.

• Like 2

I had a bike which I didn't use for years. And then I wanted to sell it.

I still had the original number plates but I hadn't paid the tax for at least 5 years (the bike was in my garage).

I asked a professional bike shop and they told me I could just register it again but I have to pay the tax from the last couple of years.

I imagine even without number plates the procedure will be similar.

If you are in Bangkok, did the bike previously have a yellow motorcycle taxi plate?

That might indicate a high use vehicle.

Regardless, the previous owner should arrange new plates before you pay any money. I can assure you that after the money is paid they will not want to know.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, London Fog said:

Thanks again. If a bike has plates, when the registration is complete, does the bike retain the same plates or are new plates issued? 

If you do the transfer at the DLT where the bike is registered it will keep the plates. If you do it in another province it will get plates from this province.

• Like 1