Koh Tao deaths

I was sceptical that it was anything more than a tragic accident.

But yesterday I spoke with an Indian Thai friend in Bangkok who knew them. Naturally I asked him opinion and he really doubted it was an accident saying the wife was strong, a good swimmer and liked to party and was a very good drinker also.

So, I doubt it would be a local who carried it out and thinking sadly if it wasn't an accident, maybe the son had something to do with it.

I have been to Ko Tao many times, it is a party place with a lot of drugs and alcohol. Which can lead to accidents happening especially young tourists who get over excited.

Obviously that blonde birds death wasn't an accident but I feel it wasn't the best idea to take a fella (who wasn't her boyfriend) down to a dark beach for public sexual contact in South East Asia. She was at the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing. 

I will go back and don't think it is anymore dangerous than anywhere else in Thailand. You get a lot of people carrying on about it who have only read the bad news but never actually been there. It is a beautiful place.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But personally I find it difficult to understand when, it seems, lots of people are now concerned about going to that island. Is it safe?

This happened around 15 years ago.

A few farang were sitting at a table at one of the cafes/bars in the wharf area.  Someone told a story that had them all in stitches laughing, and one of them accidentally knocks his beer bottle to the floor.  The owner of the place is sitting at another table, she pulls out a revolver and places it on the table in front of her, with a hairy eyeball aimed at the offenders.  This was told to me by the guy who knocked over the beer.  I was there for about a week, and my conclusion is the natives were probably the most unfriendly Thais I've come across.  The few Thai people there that I did speak with (in English) were from other parts of Thailand. 

I wouldn't worry about getting killed there -- if they did something like that it would cost a lot of $$$ for police.

Myself, I had planned to visit the other islands as well, but scrapped that and headed back to the mainland.  Otherwise, in my own experience and speaking very generally, the people in the south are pretty congenial to foreigners.  Even in the big town of Hat Yai.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, khunPer said:

Seems like they are awaiting further autopsy results, which may take about three more weeks; so far the cause of death is drowning.

Statistically 42 percent of deaths among tourists are caused by water accidents, 22 percent by road accidents, 16 percent due to medical problems, and 7 percent caused by suicide, which leaves 14 percent for others.

Chiang Mai Province is the most dangerous destination for death among tourists, Surat Thani province comes in second - don't forget the relative high number of road accidents on Samui, and the number of drownings - Phuket is third, Krabi number four, and Chon Buri (including Pattaya) number five.

Highest number of tourist death by nationality is Chinese, which also are the majority of tourists, 79 died in 2016 (the year my statistic is from). Second is French with 18, Third is British with 17, Fourth American with 12, and fifth Germans with 11.

More deaths in water than on the road? That's surprising.

• Like 1