SURVEY: Is it time to let foreigners own land?

Scott

SURVEY: Is it time to let foreigners own land?  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There has been some discussion of the possibility of loosening the restrictions on land ownership.   In your opinion, do you think it is time for foreigners to be allowed to own land?   Feel free to post your ideas, including conditions and restrictions you think should apply.

For further reading:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1220094-easing-restrictions-on-foreign-property-ownership-in-thailand-a-good-idea-says-leading-industry-figure/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Country by country, the UK is the biggest foreign investor in Australian farmland, owning 10.2 million hectares, followed by China with 9.2 million and then, each owning two or more million hectares, the US, the Netherlands, the Bahamas and Canada.

Moot point really as the Crown owns all the land there anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I think you can own the house....just not the land it sits on.....you just need a chairlift and pulley system to get to the house.

House is not much good to me if it is not planted on a block of land.

I'd be happy with a 99-year Crown lease though.

• Like 1

For once, I think the thai laws... are natural, efficient, and coherent with the human history, psyché and behavior.

And as a westerner, I would add : it's us who have lost the... plot (No pun intended)

It's our ideology of "openborders", of "a country is a hotel", of "globalism" that destroys everything.

To welcome a foreigner is good. And it's practised since the dawn of times. But... he should remain a foreigner. A guest.

The land can not be shared. You can only invite foreigners onto your land.

This idea is not racist, nor bigotery.

On the contrary, it is deeply modern.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

no such thing.

I'm suggesting that single people who aren't married to Thais who have lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years should have the right to the privilege of owning land and having equal rights as a local. It's just a suggestion. A person married to a Thai who has been living in Thailand for five years should also get those same rights/privileges.

• Like 2