AstraZeneca side-effects mostly found in people of working age

Jonathan Fairfield

7b01909400009b7c9adbcc76c69710ca_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Department of Medical Services (DMS) has reported that the side-effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine are more commonly found among people of working age than among the elderly, as their bodies respond more rapidly to the vaccine.

DMS Director-General Dr. Somsak Akkasilp said AstraZeneca is a viral vector vaccine, which stimulates the body’s immune system, making recipients more prone to developing side-effects than with inactivated virus vaccines like Sinovac.

He said the possible side-effects of AstraZeneca include fever, shivering, muscle ache and localized numbness, which usually subside in a few days. Allergic reactions might also vary, depending on a number of specific factors. Some recipients of the Sinovac vaccine might experience these symptoms as well.

Dr. Somsak added that the department is satisfied with operations at the Central Vaccination Unit at Bang Sue Grand Station, which is inoculating members of the general public who registered via the Thai Ruam Jai website or with four mobile phone operators since June 7.

nnt.jpg

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

There might be a good reason why AZ is recommended to be given only to people 65 years or older after a number of vaccination-death linked to AZ among younger people in Europe.

there seems to be an idea that it might be because it doesn't react well in people who have already had the virus and have immunity already - mostly younger people

• Like 1

"Covid Arm" is a side-effect I haven't seen mentioned in Thailand. I know about it because i have had it for the last 2 1/2 days. It didn't begin until 3+ days (78 hours) after vaccination with AZ on Monday 7th June 3 PM.  It is a hot red rash distinct from the vaccination site (10 cms away)  but on the same arm. It worried me enough that I returned to the hospital that gave me the vaccine. That was a waste of time as the doctor said he had never heard of it (He got out his phone and Googled it the same as most of you are doing right now!)  and he had no medication or advise for me. The "Internet advise" is not to worry as it's the immune response doing it's thing. It would of been nice though not to have been surprised by the reaction and more prepared. 1+/100 people could get the rash (10cm x 7cm oval)I also have a very slight tingling in the fingers on only that arm. I have been fatigued but no fever or shivering. The rash is much less obvious today. I asked my wife to report it on the Mor Phrom App, but there is no reporting channel available it seems.

It looked similar to be image below.

What's the New Phenomenon Called “COVID Vaccine Arm”? | Psychology Today

Edited by rbkk
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

I had my AZ vaccine on April 14 and had nil side effects at all. My GP told me he had a sore arm and headaches, body aches that lasted up to 48 hrs. 

Not everyone has side effects after the vaccine.. I'm 62yo with autoimmune issues. Now I've taken the flu jab also which I do annually.. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

there seems to be an idea that it might be because it doesn't react well in people who have already had the virus and have immunity already - mostly younger people

Or it could be that they can't hide the effects among healthy young people like they can with old people who almost surely have some other condition on which they can blame the death.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Or it could be that they can't hide the effects among healthy young people like they can with old people who almost surely have some other condition on which they can blame the death.

Older people have a slower immune response, so they tend to show weaker reactions to vaccines - that's why they are more vulnerable to severe illness from covid. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rbkk said:

Covid Arm" is a side-effect I haven't seen mentioned in Thailand. I know about it because i have had it for the last 2 1/2 days. It didn't begin until 3+ days (78 hours) after vaccination with AZ on Monday 7th June 3 PM.  It is a hot red rash distinct from the vaccination site (10 cms away)  but on the same arm. It worried me enough that I returned to the hospital that gave me the vaccine. That was a waste of time as the doctor said he had never heard of it (

Thanks for showing this before my upcoming AZ shot. It's a delayed local allergic reaction.  Here is a paper that discusses it. It's treated with ice and antihistamines. The authors agree with you that doctors are unprepared:

"Clinicians may not be prepared to address delayed local reactions to the mRNA-1273 vaccine. Given the scale-up of mass vaccination campaigns across the world, these reactions are likely to generate concerns among patients and requests for evaluation."

They say it is less common in the second dose, which you should not skip.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

Yes the incidence of killer blood clots has been much lower in Korea and Australia where of course there hasn't been much infection.

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

Older people have a slower immune response, so they tend to show weaker reactions to vaccines - that's why they are more vulnerable to severe illness from covid. 

Exactly, but most people are ignorant of this, even though it is all over the internet, including TV.

Myself and my wife (who is 19 years younger than me) were bed ridden for maybe 30 hours.  After day three, we are almost back to normal.  We both eat and sleep well, take our vitamins, and exercise 4-5 days a week.

It’s good to know our systems are strong enough to put up a vigorous fight.

One more to go-whenever that may be.

4 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

in OZ if you over 50 you can only get AZ

I am 45 and have had both doses of astra zeneca. Slightly itchy arm after first and mild headache, nothing after second. I'm not aware of any alternative ever been offered for those over 40 at my GP. Excellent uptake and very well organised

With the AZ vaccine do not forget the other rare side effect,  Blood Clots,  and they may cause the other rare side effect Death.

There seems to be a lot less side effects with Pfizer, and even Moderna,  but the wait until October or next year, is a long time,

and the cost will be a lot more.  

Good Luck

Geezer

On 6/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, bert bloggs said:

Had my AZ 5 days ago,no reaction so far,have flu jab yearly always ok not even achy arm, 

Are you sure it was not a placebo?  I also had no reaction, not even a sore arm.  Very suspicious but there is still the possiblity of blood clots within the first month.

Edited by Dogmatix

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Are you sure it was not a placebo?  I also had no reaction, not even a sore arm.  Very suspicious but there is still the possiblity of blood clots within the first month.

These are not trials mate. ????

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:36 PM, rbkk said:

I had insects bites worse than that, as far as itching or swelling goes. Just don't mind it, take a Paracetamol.

April 2020 I went to a hospital in Patty to get my jabs for influenza and pneumococci, the good doctor started on advice that I could get... then, having leafed through my yellow International Vaccination Passport (filled front to back, top to bottom) stopped mid-sentence, saying "I stop talking now, you had so many vaccinations, you know what happens." So much for that, never had anything more than what felt like a muscle burn like from working out mildly. And it usually is delivered into your non-dominant arm. Never mind, if you don't think of it, you're not gonna get it.

In that lady's case it's a bit interesting how low that splotch is. Depends on the needle (usually 26 gauge, have seen 27 gauge) and injection technique. Injection point for females is obviously higher than the red splotch, short lateral deltoids; or it was a 27 gauge, injected at 90 degrees, where that little red dot is, muscle is long enough for that, still low.

"Covid Arm" is a side-effect I haven't seen mentioned in Thailand. I know about it because i have had it for the last 2 1/2 days. It didn't begin until 3+ days (78 hours) after vaccination with AZ on Monday 7th June 3 PM.  It is a hot red rash distinct from the vaccination site (10 cms away)  but on the same arm.[...]

It looked similar to be image below.

What's the New Phenomenon Called “COVID Vaccine Arm”? | Psychology Today

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Don't quote me and then put your words into the quote box. You should type your response below the box. It comes across that I said something when I didn't. ????