Beware of KLM Visa requirements for Thailand.

One would think that the CoE would be accepted under category 10. Passengers who have obtained authorisation from Thai authorities. If a CoE isn't seen as an "authorisation from Thai authorities" then what is?

Good heads-up from the OP though. Make sure you have printed out everything, just like you would need to do if your were already IN Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

This is a copy of the Facebook post

"Ok first of all I want to thank everyone here for their quick responses and help. I couldn’t reply at the time cos it was mayhem At Edinburgh airport check in ( was going edin-amster-bkk) I went early as I’m blind right now. Had every bit of paperwork poss but they refused to check me in saying tourists not allowed into Thailand. No matter how many times I showed them COE they wdnt allow me to check in. I asked for line manager upon manager. They were cheeky and talking sh@t saying the rules changed yesterday. I called people who are good at this stuff and they told me don’t leave the desk. Check in lady also said she called klm and they said I can’t board but I don’t think she did call. They persistently lied and wouldn’t tell me there names ( I asked many times) after 2 hrs they said go home you are 100% not going on this flight. I then said ok read me the conditions of who can get in. She read residents ( btw I have a house in thai and I’m going for an op) medical, certificate from authorities. I stopped her there and said is that not certificate of entry ? I have that. She said anyone can download it from internet ???? I said you have to jump through hoops to get it. She then called klm while I was there and they said yes I can go. She didn’t even look at me and said why didn’t you show this before doh at least 10 times I showed her. Fckn raging. When I got to security I was detained for around 10 mins and they even went through my wallet ( I think they got a call) I had the white stick and everything and was treated like sh@ t. From then on the flight and transit were fantastic If anyone’s coming do not and I mean do not take no for an answer. They have no clue. I could easily have gave up and lost a fortune, missed my drs appt etc. It was a scandal so hope if anyone is coming they read this and prepare for some snash Cheers again y’all appreciated the support ????????"

Sorrythese stories are not getting enough attention.  I was told completely wrong info, by an airline I was to board to Thailand in January they had no idea about the COE and ASQ process. No way this is acceptable 6 months later.  I would send a concise letter addressed to the CEO of KLM by FedEx to ensure it is at least read by someone in the executive offices.

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Sorrythese stories are not getting enough attention.  I was told completely wrong info, by an airline I was to board to Thailand in January they had no idea about the COE and ASQ process. No way this is acceptable 6 months later.  I would send a concise letter addressed to the CEO of KLM by FedEx to ensure it is at least read by someone in the executive offices.

Thanks, in later part of the thread he has been advised to do so. I think his priority at this time is to get his eyesight sorted out.

From the Facebook quote, it looks like KLM have a serious issue with their EDI check-in staff who, if it's like ABZ airport, are not KLM employees but staff under contract from (maybe) Swissport. I fully agree with his suspicion that security was advised to give him a hard time by the check-in staff because they had been shown up as unapologetic numpties (and run security as well).

Ultimately, KLM are responsible though and if I had gone through that nightmare, I would be filing a complaint with both KLM and Swissport.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

From the Facebook quote, it looks like KLM have a serious issue with their EDI check-in staff who, if it's like ABZ airport, are not KLM employees but staff under contract from (maybe) Swissport. I fully agree with his suspicion that security was advised to give him a hard time by the check-in staff because they had been shown up as unapologetic numpties (and run security as well).

Ultimately, KLM are responsible though and if I had gone through that nightmare, I would be filing a complaint with both KLM and Swissport.

Yes Swissport has been mentioned. Thanks

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes Swissport has been mentioned. Thanks

It will likely just be Swiss Port, I had a problem at Edinburgh on that route, but that was quite a few years ago though, not very good at communication are they!

'Never had a problem with KLM / Air France staff.

Edited by UKresonant

Swissport is a vendor for all kinds of ground and cargo handling services

Let KLM know their subcontractor is doing a crack all job (not) 

Swissport Intl certainly won't be forwarding any customer complaints to the desk of Pieter Elbers, I would.

On the airside handling  often experienced workers are laid off, furloughed,  to be replaced by what contractors and service  goes down. Or even the veteran airline staff are offered the same job back at lower wages / benefits with subcontractors so they can train the new guys with neck tattoos and facial piercings.  Very happy campers then, expect loading delays.

Nightmare for folk who have gone through the process of getting COE and then have this issue!!  It does seems a few folk have had issues with KLM.  Surely the traveldoc guidance should just state "passengers must show certificate of entry".  I'm so glad the person from Edinburgh managed to make flight!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Swissport is a vendor for all kinds of ground and cargo handling services

Let KLM know their subcontractor is doing a crack all job (not) 

Swissport Intl certainly won't be forwarding any customer complaints to the desk of Pieter Elbers, I would.

I'm sure [email protected] would be interested to hear about this issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/klm-airlines/

Edited by nkg
  • Like 2

I flew with KLM from UK 2 weeks ago, had no problems at all checking in or boarding with free visa on arrival.

They wanted to see COVID PCR test certificate, COVID insurance, COE for Thailand, and ASQ reservation details.

I flew from Newcastle. No problems boarding in Amsterdam either. 

• Thanks 1

This happened to me in LHR, check in staff said only residents or with a residents visa, what the heck that may be? Asked for manager, she was reading from the KLM website I think, said no one on just a tourist visa can go to Thailand and no one ever has with KLM???! Showed her my COE with the requirements, she took a picture and contacted immigration in Amsterdam. Within 15 mins she said OK. At Amsterdam no issues at all, they checked COE, Insurance and ASQ Hotel, onward flight, I'd booked a cheap one to Hanoi. KLM staff have no idea and have not been informed, it's not their fault, it's some prat at the KLM head office!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

One would think that the CoE would be accepted under category 10. Passengers who have obtained authorisation from Thai authorities. If a CoE isn't seen as an "authorisation from Thai authorities" then what is?

A letter from the Ministry of Foreign affairs. That's what I used to get in which Qatar accepted.

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

question is whether it is airport staff, responsible for check-in, or the Airline Rep, who is usually around somewhere, that denies boarding.

KLM used to be good, then, after AF came in service has been going down.
I avoid them since spending the night on the floor at Paris Airport,
after AF in their good judgement decided to cancel an onward flight to South America.
We had to stay on the airfield until next days' flight, so overnight, no accommodation offered, no visa support to get out of the terminal, and that after arriving on a four hour or so late evening feeder flight.
No Bonjour, only Au Revoir.

Some months later, I got 20.000 (?) airmiles from KLM ... 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Out of interest, how did you get that and what was the enabling criteria?

Thailand Elite organised it for me. Before the TEMQ system was setup, PE visa holders had to apply to the Ministry of Foreign affairs for approval to enter.

Thanks to the multiple individuals who have shared specific Thailand/COVID travel issues, and possible solutions to them.

For those who say they'll never travel on KLM (or any other specific airline for that matter)... The originally-mentioned experience does sound unacceptable, true. However, some have said that the check-in staff might not have been KLM - and customers of essentially every airline sometimes have bad experiences. For deciding whether to avoid an airline, looking at experiences by customers on average might be more helpful? Skytrax seems to rank KLM #18 out of apparently >400 airlines.

Again, the originally-mentioned experience does sound unacceptable - but if essentially every airline sometimes provides bad experiences, average customer experiences might be better.

18 hours ago, KKr said:

question is whether it is airport staff, responsible for check-in, or the Airline Rep, who is usually around somewhere, that denies boarding.

KLM used to be good, then, after AF came in service has been going down.
I avoid them since spending the night on the floor at Paris Airport,
after AF in their good judgement decided to cancel an onward flight to South America.
We had to stay on the airfield until next days' flight, so overnight, no accommodation offered, no visa support to get out of the terminal, and that after arriving on a four hour or so late evening feeder flight.
No Bonjour, only Au Revoir.

Some months later, I got 20.000 (?) airmiles from KLM ... 

With AF/KLM already hemorrhaging money before the pandemic, I doubt that either airline has an actual AF/KLM employee acting as supervisor at MAN, EDI, NCL or any of their regional UK destinations. More likely a 'senior' member of the Swissport ground services team at that airport has that responsibility. I was reading how Swissport themselves have had to use a chainsaw to their staffing levels globally since the pandemic shrunk air travel. Before that, there was also Union action being taken in the UK due to pay freezes and the like. Don't expect the best customer service from someone who may unknowingly be on their last day of work.

Agree that KLM went down the toilet after AF bought them out. They used to be my airline of choice as they had the best network, fares and baggage allowances for global offshore workers. They were also the maritime industry's airline of choice for the same reasons. AF trimmed that market considerably (what's French for cutting off your nose to spite your face?) as they already had their Oil Club (now defunct) that was supposed to serve the oil and gas industry but was totally <deleted>. It assumed you worked in the known oil provinces like West Africa and the North Sea for a known oil company like Total or Shell.

AF canceled a red-eye special flight out of ABZ "because of snow" that meant I missed my non-daily onward flight to Conakry. There was no snow at either Aberdeen or Paris. Anyway, on arrival at CDG, I went to their ticketing desk to reschedule my flight to Africa which meant an overnight at CDG. No problem, done. I then asked about a hotel voucher and was answered with the famous Gallic shrug and, "Pourquoi?" After I pressed on their "snow" excuse, I was advised that the actual problem was due to a refueling tanker drivers strike at CDG. So, where's my hotel room? They said that the tanker drivers are not AF employees so AF aren't responsible and I need to find and pay for my own airport hotel which I did.

I was not quite 'still seething' when I returned to check in the following morning and was a bit surprised when I was bumped up to Business Class on an otherwise quite empty flight. I asked the check-in guy if this unexpected upgrade had anything to do with snow or paying for my own hotel which was met by that other great Gallic customer service obfuscation of, "Pardon?"

On 6/13/2021 at 1:56 PM, OJAS said:

The traveldoc COVID-19 Infopage* does, however, appear to set out current entry requirements after you have selected Thailand from the drop-down menu correctly as I understand them to be. So it looks like a case of KLM sending out mixed messages, depending on from where you source their information, which, of course, is hardly helpful. But even the Infopage gives the inaccurate impression initially of a complete ban on entry into Thailand before completely contradicting itself after you have clicked on Thailand from the drop-down menu! Looks like consistency isn't a strong point of their so-called "dedicated team of researchers"!!

https://infopages.traveldoc.aero/information/coronavirus

Infected by Thai methodology ??? 5555