Advice on what very small fish for an indoor aquarium where temperatures range from 28 - 33C?

We've been gifted an 18 gallon indoor aquarium complete with light, pump, filter and matrix etc and my wife wants to keep little fish in it. But we don't know what will survive and thrive in the ambient temps in our home which according to google are too high. For instance today it is 30.5 C in the lounge, but it can drop to 28 C overnight and go as high as 33 C during the day at which point we might well turn on the air-con and drag it down to 26-27 C.

So does anyone keep an aquarium here and what tiny fish can we keep please? Really need some advice as I've only ever kept goldfish in the UK. I remember setting up the tank a couple of weeks ahead of the fish to let the water age, and buying plants to oxygenate the water and provide hiding places, and perhaps snails to graze on the algae? But what guppy or tetra sized fish to look for that won't simply expire in the heat. Thai houses built of concrete blocks cement-rendered are like sponges soaking up heat and releasing it like storage heaters at night as we all know!

55 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Just go to the shop I have found they are very knowledgeable about what is best I have kept fish both indoors and outdoor ponds for years,

My favourite fish are arowana's 

Good luck

Err - thanks but I just read up on the arowana - a tightly controlled endangered species costing  a lot of money so defo not for us! But a very good point about asking the the shop - we live near Minburi Market, well fairly near, ok, 10 miles away maybe 15, anyway - I'll get my wife to go there and ask advice and see about prices and so on and look at some. They got all manner of creatures  there!

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

Siamese fighting fish. Betta.

Look on Line for a woman ChampagneXXX she has some real beauties.

You cannot keep two males together.

Not found on LINE and I did try. Had a look on Google - Siamese fighting fish are beautiful for sure but seem to need the place to themselves pretty much. Not sure that will work for my wife who would ideally like a little school of fish.

Anyone keeping Tetras successfully? Temperatures are too high here according to Google, are there varieties that would thrive here?

8 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Not found on LINE and I did try. Had a look on Google - Siamese fighting fish are beautiful for sure but seem to need the place to themselves pretty much. Not sure that will work for my wife who would ideally like a little school of fish.

Anyone keeping Tetras successfully? Temperatures are too high here according to Google, are there varieties that would thrive here?

Fancy guppies?

Breed like crazy too.

• Like 2

Guppies, Platy's and swordfish  they will be OK, many colours, and a sucker fish,

don't put the aquarium in direct sunlight, DONT over feed, change

1/4 of the water weekly.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Fancy guppies?

Breed like crazy too.

I have a fellow mod (no, I'm not naming names but he loves golf) whose good lady can use up even guppies.

They are supposedly indestructible like Captain Scarlet!

Loads (yes, even more) of plants will keep everything in balance even without clever filtration systems.

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Big clouds of neons in a well planted tank.

Pretty, cheap and easy to look after.

Assuming a Fresh Water Tank.

Again in a planted Tank.

Other species to keep may include the Glowlight Tetra. In a group spectacular

Guppies are also an excellent choice. Hardy, Colourful, and seem to do well in slightly high water Temperature.

They are also readily available and cheap to buy ( about 5 Baht  each usually somebody will buy 10 and get an Asda deal of 2 free on them.

Excellent advice about not putting the Tank in direct Sunlight, but I would change out 50% of water on a weekly basis. And do not forget to put the dechlorinating Fluid into the replacement water.

And the number 1 reason fish die early, is Overfeeding, so remember to feed only what the fish will eat in one minute ( and no more )once a Day in the Mornings.

I am afraid to tell you, that you will get very little advice in the Fish Shop. These shops are nothing like the ones in the UK.

They exist to just sell anything to anybody, and the owners are not very knowledgeable.

Every Fish species that has any beautiful colouration will be called a Peacock 

• Like 1

We had a 30 gallon fresh water tank with about a dozen discus.  We will probably repeat that when our new house is built.

Perhaps they are a little bigger than you would like but certainly beautiful and easy maintenance.   Image stolen from the web, but our fish looked very similar.

discus.jpg

Edited by gamb00ler

A small tip to help keep the Water cooler is to play a Fan across the surface Water of the Tank.

This causes an effect called " Evaporative Cooling ", and it certainly does reduce the Tank temp by about 3-4 Deg C ( depending on how strong the fan is blowing )

• Like 1

Guppies are a great starter fish, males are colorful and swim a lot (they are also cheap) i have a tank of them in a room without aircon most of the time, the temp in my tanks shows around 29-30 deg, they are also very tolerant of dirty water(should you forget water changes), as someone said you can buy a clip on fan cheaply for aquariums, that will reduce the temp a few deg, 

14 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Err - thanks but I just read up on the arowana - a tightly controlled endangered species costing  a lot of money so defo not for us! But a very good point about asking the the shop - we live near Minburi Market, well fairly near, ok, 10 miles away maybe 15, anyway - I'll get my wife to go there and ask advice and see about prices and so on and look at some. They got all manner of creatures  there!

Thats the Red ones when you buy one it should be chipped, the cheapest are the silver ones usually around a 1000 baht each, I've seen the Red one go for almost 3 million baht