Acronym madness

KarenBravo

It used to be LGBT, then LGBTQ which could be remembered.

Now it is LGBTQIA+. What the h3ll does that mean? How is the average person supposed to remember that?

The acronym is now longer than many words. Why not just invent a word that encompasses all that the acronym means?

So, could someone spell out what this acronym means....

• Like 1

No idea, but always makes me smile when an article uses an acronym, then follows up by explaining (in brackets) what is stands for; thereby defeating the whole object.

There's only 1 that I know everyone is familiar with  and that's BBC. Depending on where it crops up obviously.

LGBTQAI is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual and/or Ally.

I hadn't heard of the AI part.  I have seen LGBTQ+ used.  The first I saw the AI part was with the coming out story of David Archuleta this past week.  He was a contestant on American Idol, season 7.  He was the runner up, but had largely been favored to win.  He is Mormon and from a very religious family, so it was mildly interesting.  

At any rate, the acronym is meant to be inclusive.  It might be better to try and not include every letter of the alphabet though.   I think I'll stick with LGBTQ+.

• Like 2

Back in ancient times, lesbians accepted to be included under one word -- GAY. So that would be G. 

So when lesbians insisted on the L word (reasonably so), that's when this all started. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Scott said:

LGBTQAI is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, and Asexual and/or Ally.

I hadn't heard of the AI part.  I have seen LGBTQ+ used.  The first I saw the AI part was with the coming out story of David Archuleta this past week.  He was a contestant on American Idol, season 7.  He was the runner up, but had largely been favored to win.  He is Mormon and from a very religious family, so it was mildly interesting.  

At any rate, the acronym is meant to be inclusive.  It might be better to try and not include every letter of the alphabet though.   I think I'll stick with LGBTQ+.

Yes, I saw the acronym for the first time on the same story.

Doesn't Q have the same meaning as G?

With today's attitudes, you might offend an I and A if you use only LGBTQ+.

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I saw the acronym for the first time on the same story.

Doesn't Q have the same meaning as G?

With today's attitudes, you might offend an I and A if you use only LGBTQ+.

No, Q is not the same thing as G. 

To be clear, not everyone that would fit under those letters is really thrilled by this kind of alphabet soup. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Let's add X for those of us who are into eXtraterrestrials of male, female, non-binary or non-existent gender. Of legal age, obviously.

Submit your proposal to the alphabet soup board of governors. You never know!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

No idea, but always makes me smile when an article uses an acronym, then follows up by explaining (in brackets) what is stands for; thereby defeating the whole object.

Normally one writes the whole expression then the acronym in brackets. After having done this one can then use the acronym as many times as one wishes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans Queer Intersex Asexual and don’t forget the “+” = Q questioning A ally and asa gay man I refuse to use any acronym. To hear young people describing themselves at LGBT plus, actually saying, plus. Ridiculous 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The acronym now grows to 2SLGBTQQIA: Two-Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual. If you see this on a parking space in Germany, find another spot. Much like Handicapped Parking, now some places have designated "2SLGBTQQIA Parking Only". They call them "Diversity Spaces". Soon coming to a parking lot near you.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne