If you had no choice but to leave Thailand for an extended period , where would you move and why?

If you had no choice but to leave Thailand for an extended period , where would you move and why?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

As with every place there are a few negatives.

Fuel is expensive, electric rates are (I think) the highest in Europe, But  for the most part the negatives are balanced by the positives. My brother has retired there, and lives a comfortable life on about a $2000 a month   pension. He has a big property in Agion in the Peloponnese , a few minutes from the beach, and he pays about 600 euros a year property tax.  If I moved there I would rent for a while, rents are very cheap, 

Anyway, now that I am retired, and have the time, I will look into it when I go there this summer. I would go now, but I want to make sure I can get back without quarantine. that's why I keep saying end of summer, by then I will have a better idea what's going on with covid in Thailand.  

I do know the prices well as I am greek too, my brother lives in patras ????. As I said before if you have a good pension or other funds available then it is a very nice place to be,  actually it might be a good time for people to move now as the government has introduced new laws to attract foreign retirees to make their base in Greece with some good perks and tax discounts. 

Edited by capriole
spelling
  • Like 1

What, gave up on Turkey so soon, JT?

I picture you living with your bags half packed and surfing Tripadvisor for ideas and airfares.

I'm spoiled by legal cannabis.  You can't beat a place where the adverts on the back of supermarket receipts have stuff like this printed on them.

nice.png.db0f492223e410d7b3d93abbc578acab.png

11 hours ago, Denim said:

I'd like to at least check out East Timor. Might not like it but like to have a look.

Next up....Belize

Like to spend some time in Almaty too.

Been there (East Timor)  a few times when we dropped anchor, never gave a thought about going back on my own dime. It's poor, uses USD currency except for coins. It's poor, kids begging, no kinda depressing.

Edited by EVENKEEL

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Rome....blew me away.......went a couple of years ago......absolutely amazing.

Took Mrs G to Rome couple of years ago, right after she got her US green card, seems to grease the skids for other country visitor visas.

She loved Rome, and we spent a couple of weeks in Positano which honestly is to die for

• Like 2

A few of my friends spent their "covid year" in southern Turkey. They said it was cheap, easy, and quick to get Turkish residency, and they've rented apartments in little expat villages at very reasonable rates.

They report lockdown Turkish style is light, and the food was good.

And as residents they've been vaccinated for free - Pfizer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I heard the next plan is to make Pattaya into a sovereign city-state like Monaco. 

I'll wait for that. 

I think the answer will qualify... I don't think of Pattaya as part of Thailand.. same for Patong and Patpong

Niseko winters and Waimea summers until I die in an avalanche or drown.   Will likely start that cycle anyway (without the dying part right away) after the kids get tired of travelling with us.      

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd buy a run down farmhouse in France, and camp in it until I was deported.

Drink a lot of cheap wine, eat a lot of cheese, and grow cannabis.

I'm with you on that one, but you forgot your first love Britman, you know the 9000 baht a month rented wife. I was married to a French Belgy...very expensive, sultry and totally unreliable after 40,000 miles.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Greenland, in a small town.

Life there is almost like in a small town in Thailand besides a different weather.

Seal blubber salad with salted egg and grilled fermented shark.  Yum