Sandbox: 50% of foreigners cancel plans to visit Phuket

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pipat Ratchakitprakarn, Minister of Tourism and Sports, told Spring News that after the Center for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) increased the minimum period of stay from 7 days to 14 days, 29,700 foreigners have now cancelled plans to visit Phuket.

Just where do they get these numbers from?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ouch, such a vote of non confidence by the target group. Well deserved though, with those ongoing flip flops and last-minute "improvements".

And the remaining 50% ain't tourists! They are expats who use Phuket as an alternative to regular hotel quarantine.

Probably also because they stopped bars opening as well!! Som Nam Naah!!!!????????????????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

Over 50%....not just 50%..wonder what the true figure is.

Not a shock, constant flip flopping on policy and the decision not to allow bars to open. 

They will still get the long term returning expats who see it as a better option than being stuck inside a BKK hotel for two weeks.

Tourists...you're dreaming.

Unfortunately, I didn't see that as an option on my application for COE. I am finishing up quarantine in BKK and there was no option given for returning expats, whether work, Elite, retirement, or special visas to do the quarantine in Phuket. It appears to be only one category, STV, or special tourist visa that can go to Phuket. If anyone has other information to the contrary I would enjoy seeing it. If I have to travel again instead I would do it  instead of staying in a  torture chamber on Sukhumvit 11. 

"Mr Pipat said that among the first people to visit the island in July will be  sailors from the US and British navies"

They will leave after one day. What they gona do the whole day without beer bars and the bar ladies? ????

Edited by FarangJon
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FarangJon said:

"Mr Pipat said that among the first people to visit the island in July will be  sailors from the US and British navies"

They will leave after one day. What the gona da the whole day without beer bars and the bar ladies? ????

Enjoy local cuisine and culture, oh but wait, most restaurants are closed and hardly anyone around????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biffski said:

Unfortunately, I didn't see that as an option on my application for COE. I am finishing up quarantine in BKK and there was no option given for returning expats, whether work, Elite, retirement, or special visas to do the quarantine in Phuket. It appears to be only one category, STV, or special tourist visa that can go to Phuket. If anyone has other information to the contrary I would enjoy seeing it. If I have to travel again instead I would do it  instead of staying in a  torture chamber on Sukhumvit 11. 

Anyone can come to Phuket, visa type is not important, even visa exempt entry can come. The problem is that the sandbox is still not approved so the rules are not clear yet and it is still not possible to apply for COE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

The Hotel Association's plan now seems to be in tatters. There were always just too many moving parts in this to control. ... including returning country quarantine, flights and an unvaccinated expat population.

Chaos.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Seems there's much fake news.

Way too many people making comment, much of which is personal wishful thinking, mostly for personal gain. And some which is not aligned to or supporting safety.

Media not checking anything and publishing things which contradict what other outlets are publishing and have no basis.

Some politicians making comment about subjects which they are no familiar with.

The news reporting/media meetings/announcements re the supply of vaccine a total mess and causing more and more confusion, and obvious that there is no proper coordination/management.

Sad for Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So now in addition to having subs that aren't capable of forward progress or submerging under their own power TAT can be classified as "Naval Destroyers" ! No Navy skipper worth his Grog would dare chance bringing a Carrier battle group ( 10 ships plus real subs) at least 6500 plus sailors to a dry country where R&R has been banned ....

• Confused 2

53 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

I take it that when they say the British Navy, they mean the Royal Navy. Shore leave for 14 days in Phuket? Is this what I continue to pay taxes for?

Perfect opportunity to ship millions of doses of vaccine for British and US citizens here.  Plenty of soldiers to distribute and set up field deployment. But, makes too much sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dyertribe said:

They are planning to bring navy guys in with no bars or entertainment venues open?  Tell them they're dreaming ...

Just what we need 100’s of bored and sober navy guys running around the streets with nothing to do, they may as well stay onboard ship????

3 minutes ago, martin81 said:

I do not believe their numbers. How can they know how many have booked or have cancelled. I myself have already booked and cancelled twice in Agoda for Phuket hotel bookings. And I am sure airlines do not give them daily booking numbers for flights to Phuket.

They probably just invent their booking numbers. I do not think all Phuket hotels sends them daily booking numbers.

Of course not you are absolutely correct. People who booked originally are possibly only in their hundreds but of course the administration would never admit that this shambolic exercise was a complete flop so hence imaginary figures being bandied about.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Perfect opportunity to ship millions of doses of vaccine for British and US citizens here.  Plenty of soldiers to distribute and set up field deployment. But, makes too much sense.

No they will not have 14 days shore leave

even if the vaxes were being administered by the truckload imo you would have to be a FOOL to want to travel across the world for a 'vacation' presently. Some morons though consider 'their' pursuit of personal happiness to be above all else, hence the nearly 4 million dead at present. If responsible countries would of been proactive, they would not of turned their airports into worldwide 'covid hubs' just so some could keep enriching themselves.. 

Forget the remaining 6 months of this year nothing is going to change.

The government would be better off assisting it's citizens to survive the rest of the year and concentrate on vaccinating them and getting the pandemic under control then hopefully come January they can confidently open up for tourism.

A bunch of useless greedy clowns who have no empathy or concern for their fellow Thai's. ????

• Like 2

So on t.hese figures just under 60,000 had booked and around half have cancelled. That's not going set Phuket alight!

And there always the risk of testing positive at some point in the stay and being moved to a hospital for which you will pay if your insurer does not accept symptomless hospitalisation.

Not in the least bit attractive is it?

• Like 2