Sandbox: 50% of foreigners cancel plans to visit Phuket

webfact

42 minutes ago, martin81 said:

I do not believe their numbers. How can they know how many have booked or have cancelled. I myself have already booked and cancelled twice in Agoda for Phuket hotel bookings. And I am sure airlines do not give them daily booking numbers for flights to Phuket.

They probably just invent their booking numbers. I do not think all Phuket hotels sends them daily booking numbers.

Flight cancellation can easily be tracked via a decent Amadeus lookup

It will grow to 80-90% cancellations.The decision- makers could simply do a survey in the key target countries- Russia, the UK, Germany, Israel etc - and save everyone this letdown. People will NOT come if restricted to 2 weeks in Phuket.Tourists similarly will stay away if you force them into 7 days of quarantine in hotels in Pattaya at ripoff rates, come October. It ain't gonna work!!

You are destroying the prospects of reviving the Thai tourism industry, and huge numbers of locals will not get their livelihoods back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

The article says "...29,700 foreigners have now cancelled plans to visit Phuket."

Yes I saw that, any idea what the figure is for total bookings made?.

So the " over 50% "..which is political spin for the media...can actually be quantified. 

2 minutes ago, McGregor21 said:

Yes I saw that, any idea what the figure is for total bookings made?.

It says "...29,700 foreigners have now cancelled plans to visit Phuket", so total must be 59.400, I presume...????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Still time for the other 50% to cancel, 

As of today, the Embassy has not received any official guidelines regarding the Phuket Sand Box due to an ongoing situation in Thailand. Thus, the regulation at this time would be quarantine for 14 days.
If you plan to travel to Phuket in July, please check back on the Embassy’s website regularly.

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ 

From the Thai embassy website, the requirement to travel to Thailand is still the same

14days quarantine -cost to be Bht50,000

purchase insurance - cost =Bht20,000

submit the COE document.

For Phuket, you wont be in the room for 14 days.

No bars and few restaurant opened.. how can it be considered a vacation. in Phuket.?

Unfortunately, Until the quarantine is removed, things will not go back to normal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the green light said:

From the Thai embassy website, the requirement to travel to Thailand is still the same

14days quarantine -cost to be Bht50,000

purchase insurance - cost =Bht20,000

submit the COE document.

For Phuket, you wont be in the room for 14 days.

No bars and few restaurant opened.. how can it be considered a vacation. in Phuket.?

Unfortunately, Until the quarantine is removed, things will not go back to normal.

Weeks ago I stated exactly this. They're always going to be too many hurdles - one the embassies and the other the airports. The ticketing agents are only going to have some requirement about visiting Thailand. They won't have any detailed information that allows Phuket to circumvent the national policy. That's just way too advanced for Thailand to navigate.

Further, I would expect that the national government is really sabotaging this. They are being forced into allowing this and it is obviously so begrudgingly.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

Quote: 'The island is pinning its hopes that the Sandbox project will 'resuricate' the local economy, which is so heavily dependent on tourism and which has been left decimated due to the pandemic'. 

Any ideas? do you think they meant 'Resurrect' or 'resuscitate' or is Thailand about to become the hub of new 'English'?

I have to admit, I don't know this word, 'resuricate' - do you?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

I drove through Patong today, its still a ghost town but now some of the massage girls (and LB) are back 

and I have heard that their numbers are swelling on tinder ????

11 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

I drove through Patong today, its still a ghost town but now some of the massage girls (and LB) are back 

and I have heard that their numbers are swelling on tinder ????

Not to mention 50% tourists less 'swelling' chances also!

• Like 2

14 years of coming to Thailand and I have never been to Phuket .I have been to Krabi a couple of times but never to Phuket.

If you cant go on excursions to near by places like Pi Pi island, and if the bars are closed, What's there to do in Phuket for 14 days?  I can see 7 days. but 14 ? 

I can see why people are canceling. 

• Like 1