Sandbox: 50% of foreigners cancel plans to visit Phuket

webfact

the 50% cancellation statistic is a madeup lowball number, a complete farce,  the actual number will be  higher,   I bought a fully refundable that can be cancelled one hour before my flight. I havent cancelled yet as i will wait awhile  and then  will cancel if this cluster continues

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Ouch, such a vote of non confidence by the target group. Well deserved though, with those ongoing flip flops and last-minute "improvements".

And the remaining 50% ain't tourists! They are expats who use Phuket as an alternative to regular hotel quarantine.

I don't believe any of these 50% ever booked in the first place. Now the health minister can blame the foreigners for Phuket's decline.

• Like 1

I have skipped over all comments because I have a tendency to have kneejerk responses that are really not (ahem) productive, but this I'm sure is no surprise and to be expected. I have no expectations of normalcy in any way until October anyway, and I don't think it was ever practical in the first place to think that Phuket or any other place would be normalized this soon. I'm sure that when they increased from 7 - 14 days they knew full well there would be losses. regardless of all criticism I grant Thai officials the right to make these decisions on the fly, given the nature of Covid and its unpredictability

It is a good thing that Thailand is in the low season of their tourism, and the July sandbox may help some expats

that need to get back to Thailand. I think the October sandbox has a better chance at success.  The start of high

season, should have an affect on some decisions, by the excellent Thai governance and TAT deep thinkers.

Maybe by October the vaccinated numbers will be higher and the better vaccines of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J

will be available for those who are willing to pay for these shots.  Though I hear that the AZ vaccines are effective after the

2nd shot as well.  Good Luck High Season!

Geezer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beachboy66 said:

Did anyone think of what happens if one. Of the tests (highly insecure) show positive results. Will they be forced to quaratine then? Where is that quarantine? Will they check all persons that have been in contact and quarantine them as well? Or do they think we are a big quarantine in Phuket, if so, why even bother to test people? If you are sick you stay home. If you need hospital you go there.

Sounds like a money spinner - oh sorry, but someone has tested positive, from your intake,  I am afraid you will all have to stay in this approved Hotel for another 14 days, please go to reception to pay for your stay, have a great day now.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, dyertribe said:

They are planning to bring navy guys in with no bars or entertainment venues open?  Tell them they're dreaming ...

I wonder if they can still get their tot of navy rum before going ashore, that will cheer them up me hearty. 

Unfortunately I believe more and more will cancel as more changes and restrictions come out.  Multiple COVID tests, very few businesses open, increasing from 7 to 14 days, etc etc.  and this for vaccinated and pre-travel tested tourists??   Just does not make sense to spend thousands on air travel and hotel.  I have reservations but will cancel soon.  

• Like 2

I did not book any flight but i had plans to come 1 july.

acctually i canceled my bangkok ASQ entrance plan and waited for the phuket plan.

but than i cancelled the phuket plan too, after i heard that the plan is called SANDBOX.

that was it.

i am sure that this name was chosen with intention to humiliate us the AI farang, and

there is so much for what i can take.

i am also looking now at panama for my next holiday and also residency plans.

in panama anyone can come, if you forget your PCR-PT T test you can do it at the

airport of panama for 50 USD, and if you are found positive you will have to get into

quarantine in a hotel paid by the panama government, yes you heard right.

panama will pay for your quarantine !!

this only proves to you how the thai government treats tourists...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Stop all the nonsense ideas or dreams and just open up completely you got vaccinated " Come on in " no C.O.E. no insurance, no quarantine.

indeed this is the right thing to do.

either that the vaccines are working, or that they are not working.

thailand has no respect for the sceince behind the vaccines.

typical arrogance and ignorance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Still time for the other 50% to cancel, 

As of today, the Embassy has not received any official guidelines regarding the Phuket Sand Box due to an ongoing situation in Thailand. Thus, the regulation at this time would be quarantine for 14 days.
If you plan to travel to Phuket in July, please check back on the Embassy’s website regularly.

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ 

Perfect comment...thanks

• Like 1

Just imagine a boat load of sailors landing here and not a bar open not much pussy available the place looking like ghost town thats a great advertisement they will never recommend the place, 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dyertribe said:

They are planning to bring navy guys in with no bars or entertainment venues open?  Tell them they're dreaming ...

I can't speak for the British but the US Navy has long been enforcing crazy liberty regulations. I don't think bars being closed will stop the port visits.

• Like 1

This is heading into damp squid territory fast. Personally, I had great times there in the early 2000s, later, one or two bad experiences turned me off the place completely. Little empathy from me. Karma hits. You think you're the bees knees, and can do <deleted> you like; sorry, Black Swan and all that, I must say schadenfreude is very heavy with me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

Over 50%....not just 50%..wonder what the true figure is.

Not a shock, constant flip flopping on policy and the decision not to allow bars to open. 

They will still get the long term returning expats who see it as a better option than being stuck inside a BKK hotel for two weeks.

Tourists...you're dreaming.

I would never book travel to that ???? hole. Too many other places in Thailand with much nicer Thai people!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nausea said:

This is heading into damp squid territory fast. Personally, I had great times there in the early 2000s, later, one or two bad experiences turned me off the place completely. Little empathy from me. Karma hits. You think you're the bees knees, and can do <deleted> you like; sorry, Black Swan and all that, I must say schadenfreude is very heavy with me.

More like the Dying Swan