Official Translations, Documents, Etc.

chanchao

Does anyone have experience with translation services in Chiang Mai to translate things like house registration documents and statements indicating that a particular Thai national is not married? What is the latter called in Thai anyway? I know house registration is 'tabian baan', but what would you call a declaration that someone is not married?

After translation, the documents have to be legalised at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I've been there before, it's on Chaeng Wattana road in Bangkok near Laksi. Does this absolutely have to happen there or can it be done in Chiang Mai as well? And do they require some kind of certification on the part fo the translator or can any “Farangs 'R Us” kind of agency do the translating? In that case I think I might as well do the translation myself, I’ve used some agency in Pattaya before and while it wasn’t expensive at all (200-300 baht), it also gave me the feeling that I would have done a better translation myself. Then again a translation service would likely have form-templates for these kind of documents using the language that the Thai Ministry expects, so I might as well use a translation service/agency if it isn’t overly expensive. Any recommendations in Chiang Mai?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Can't give specific information but the translator must be certified by the MFA (understand this can be done later as an extra charge from some reports but be best to make sure translator has MFA status). Some translations services here in Bangkok will do the MFA registration process but others will not. Suspect most in Chiang Mai would include this service (it will be done in Bangkok AFAIK).

Thai ID card serves the marriage status purpose so not sure there is any such paper available. Suspect you would have to have District Office draw up something based on ID and/or search of marriage data base.

MFA? Is that the same as getiting the translation legalised at the Foreign Affairs ministry? Last time I used an agency they said they could take care of that as well but the charge was rather high so I did it myself. (Having to go to BKK Airport anyway, pretty close to Laksi/Chaeng Wattana)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I have used a couple of services. One on Huay Kaew, just before the first lights after the Orchid hotel, & the old Australian Consulate, now no longer there. I do not reccomend the one on Huay Kaew, they did a lousy job and caused extreme grief.

A friend of mine used one in the Swedish Consulate, in the YMCA near Central.

Hope this helps

P

Some years back I had a court case that required documents translated from english to Thai.

The woman (in Chiangmai) who did the translations (and also the enterpretation in court) had some sort of embossed stamp that certified the translated document.

In the court at the first sitting she had to produce her degree showing that she had majored in english.

This was accepted by the judge as were the translated documents.

Maybe your requirement is for a different purpose but for me there was no need to get anything legalised in Bangkok or anywhere else.

Believe it or not, it's for officially claiming an unborn child as being your own. This way the child can receive automatic dual nationality at birth, even when the parents are not officially/legally married. :o

Did that. They didn't list much in Chiang Mai, AND they don't guarantee anything about the suggested translators.. I think I will try the one at/near YMCA? Part of the Swedish consulate? I wonder if that makes it expensive.. Last time I had something translated (a birth certificate for someone) it cost just 300 baht or so..

Cheers,

Chanchao

Maybe your requirement is for a different purpose but for me there was no need to get anything legalised in Bangkok or anywhere else.

You had a local requirement. For international use the MFA registration makes it a legal document outside, as well as inside, Thailand in my understanding.

Assuming you are translating English-Thai or vice versa, almost any registered translation agency will do. Noi, David's wife at GMCM does a good job, I'm told. Their office is on the left hand side on the Moon Muang end of Rachamankala road, about 4 or 5 doors from the end.

As i gathered from a previous post the Australian Honorary Consul is 'no longer there'. Has it moved or closed up shop for good?

The previous consul, of a year or two ago, has closed up shop and gone away. Their premises have been taken over by a Farang run computer company.

A friend of mine was asked to take over the position, but he was unwilling to do so for the ridiculously small honorarium the Aus' Govt' was offering. Not shure if that was sorted or if someone else took over. Best contact the Bangkok Embassy for details.