Human trials of first Thai developed COVID-19 vaccine begins Monday

webfact

KCMH1706.jpg

Human trials of the first Thai COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Chula Vaccine Research Centre (CVRC) at Chulalongkorn University and King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, began today (Monday).

Called “ChulaCov19”, it is the first vaccine developed in Thailand, but will be the second to be locally made, if approved, after Siam Bioscience’s production of the UK’s AstraZeneca vaccine.

It is also an mRNA vaccine, a type that provides instructions to human cells on how to make a “spike protein” that triggers the body’s immune response.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/human-trials-of-first-thai-developed-covid-19-vaccine-begins-monday/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, J Town said:

This is most likely the reason for bungling all other attempts. There's gold in them thar shots and those in power want that gold.

No. No.

This was not supported by the government, they literally don't want this to succeed.

Chula and mahidol are decent labs. They complain about those <deleted> in power all the time.

They begged for some funding and got nothing...

• Like 2

The project is a joint venture between Prof Kiat Ruxrungtham from the Center of Excellence in Vaccine Research Center and Development (ChulaVRC) and Professor Drew Weissman from the University of Pennsylvania. The vaccine will use mRNA technology to trigger an immune response against Covid-19, similar to the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna shots.

https://www.chula.ac.th/en/clipping/47302/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No. No.

This was not supported by the government, they literally don't want this to succeed.

Chula and mahidol are decent labs. They complain about those <deleted> in power all the time.

They begged for some funding and got nothing...

That is very interesting.

If it works ( and I know nothing about the capabilities of the labs or scientists involved, but I hear what you say) I wonder under which (whose) auspices it will be put into production!

I read subsequently that they have a company lined up to produce it. That will of course have to be licenced, and as it will challenge a very important monopoly I could predict a problem there.

There may be gracious permission to produce it in an existing facility though, taking into account all the circumstances...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

With people dropping off like flies with the Brit-swede Astrazeneca muck from blood clots, the Chinese syrup being quite ineffective, the USA Johnson and Johnson balls up and the impractical Pfizer rush job I am hopeful that the Thais will come up with something better.

How is 32 deaths in the UK out of over 21 million dropping like flies? 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-04-uk-deaths-clots-az-jabs.html

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

That is very interesting.

If it works ( and I know nothing about the capabilities of the labs or scientists involved, but I hear what you say) I wonder under which (whose) auspices it will be put into production!

So far the samples are produced in the USA.

I am sure there will be some asian producer if it works out, hopefully outside of Thailand in Singapore, Korea or so....

5 hours ago, realfunster said:

Fully agree mate. It rings of ‘local’ propaganda and these scientists trying to remain relevant.

That’s a tiny sample group and then they plan to possibly skip phase three for approval (whatever that means - by mid 2022). That is a year from now and production is not even mentioned….

The haste seems unnecessary as they have already missed the worst of the global outbreak, and although it is likely ongoing COVID vaccines may be required for some time, already established vaccines will be flooding the market by early next year. As for local use, well I presume even the delayed AZ from SB will be pumping out tens of millions of doses a month come year-end. 

So, I doubt come mid-2022 anyone is going to be particularly interested in a hastily approved, phase-3 skipping, tiny sample sized vaccine from Chula. 

If the problem is a lack of money for Phase 3, why not appeal to Gates Foundation or GAVI? Of course by the time Phase 2 is done, it may be difficult to find study subjects who have not been exposed to Covid or been previously vaccinated, but there will still probably be many other countries with low vaccination rates for doing Phase 3 trials. With sufficient know how, by middle of next year they should be prepared to tweak the vaccine just as Pfizer and Moderna are doing to account for new variants. Then this vaccine can function as a booster for AZ.