Voltage Levels Are Shockingly High

humint

1 hour ago, berrec said:

I think as stated previously you are on a single phase 230 v 50 Hz feed from a PEA sub-station distribution electrical network.

It is actually the MEA that does a  nominal 230v. 
the PEA standard is nominal 220v, though both supplies are often quite a bit away from the standards. 

On 6/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Anecdote:  About 6 years ago, our local voltage began going into the 240-250V range to accommodate a new water purifying factory.  At 250V and above, my smart TV would shut down, my AC wouldn't start, fans on steroids, and my refrigerator made abnormal noises until it finally died.  (Easily fixed after the local guy replaced something.)

Anyway.... That's when I bought my first AVR(AVS) and no issues since.  Now, the mains voltage stays in the 230's but the AVR's maintain between 218-224.

Something similar happened here a couple of years ago, I fell asleep in my office and then woke up to the sound of my AC going crazy, the UPS on my computer going bonkers. I went outside to investigate and there was a dead snake bridging between one phase of the high tension side to the low volt side. There would have been thousands of volts coming into the house. Everything survived (except for the snake), it could have been worse if not for the good voltage clamping I have installed, but it's just an example of what can go badly, badly wrong.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1