Koh Larn open again - to tourists but not migrant workers

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that following two recent closures Koh Larn - off the coast of Pattaya - was once again open to tourists. 

They went to Bali Hai, the port on the Pattaya side, but found few tourists except for a smattering of families and groups of friends. 

But they said this was just a working weekday - resorts were booked at weekends.

Checkpoints had been manned at two places on the island Na Ban port and Ta Waen beach as the island was largely sealed off from May 5th to 20th then again from June 1st to 13th.

Now from yesterday to 30th June outsiders are allowed again. They must have Thai ID, passports or other official Thai documents to show.

This is to stop migrant workers entering the island, the media said. 

Boat operator Wiruwan Buncheun, 27, said it was great that the island was open again and that a normal schedule of ferries would run to and from the island daily. 

That's seven crossings from Pattaya from 7 am to 6.30 pm and eight from Tha Na Ban between 6.30 am and 6 pm. There are also two crossings each way to Hat Ta Waen. 

Wirawan welcomed the chance to get some income and help staff again noting that a clean up of the island had been in progress, around half the population had been vaccinated and tourists could have confidence and should come. 

Siam Rath gave no explanation for the ban on visits by migrant workers, notes Thaivisa. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-15

And again the same question : what they did achieve with those 2 "closures" ?

They voted the closure from 5 to 15 may... then extended to the end of may.

Source : https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/koh-larn-extends-closure-to-end-of-may

Great.

May 5 we close : Thailand = 2000 cases.

June 15 we open : Thailand = 3000 cases.

????

Where is the famous "science" in those decisions ?

Tomorrow a thai "tourist" (even vaccinated) can arrive on the island, and contaminate many islanders (even... with vaccines)

Here is what happened... The principle of reality came back with a vengeance :

-"We are terrorized by the virus"

-"Yes but if we stay closed, then we are going to die...  from starvation."

-"Yes you're right. Let's open again"

-"Ok great. I feel better"

????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now from yesterday to 30th June outsiders are allowed again. They must have Thai ID, passports or other official Thai documents to show.

What does this mean? That you now need to take your PASSPORT for a day trip to Koh Larn island? This is nuts.....The one and ONLY place I take my passport is to the Immigration office.........I guess I will not be going to Koh Larn any more....

I bet the speed boats are quite happy to take anyone to Koh Larn without all this other nonsense....

This is to stop migrant workers entering the island, the media said. 

Migrant workers do almost all the work on the construction projects in Pattaya and I am sure Koh Larn too.....You will not hear much Thai spoken when you walk past construction projects......

So day tourist with IDs don't have covid and migrant workers do have covid or what?

Edited by redwood1

17 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

No covid test needed?

Good point.......

These security gates they installed a few months ago I think give you a thermal/face scan before they open, plus you need a temperature check, plus I guess now you also need a passport.......So I guess a covid test 72 hours before would be next......

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What does this mean? That you now need to take your PASSPORT for a day trip to Koh Larn island? This is nuts.....The one and ONLY place I take my passport is to the Immigration office.........I guess I will not be going to Koh Larn any more....

I bet the speed boats are quite happy to take anyone to Koh Larn without all this other nonsense....

A copy of your passport on your phone would likely suffice.

How can one differentiate between a bona fide day tripper tourist and a migrant worker? Racial profiling? 

As others have stated, I would be more concerned about the Bangkok weekenders arriving at the island en masse. If hotels are fully booked it sounds like a superspreader event to me.

22 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So day tourist with IDs don't have covid and migrant workers do have covid or what?

I guess that is possible. There seem to be frequent clusters among the foreign workers and they often live in situation where transmission is very likely. They want to make it tourists only and I can see some reasoning behind it. 

• Like 1

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-koh-larn-coral-island-reaches-70-vaccinated-mark-360436

It seems the number of people wanting to go to Koh Larn has seen a big decline since they started requiring identification......

The passport is expats main identification.....And as I said before its a huge risk to be carrying your passport around........

They still have not made clear what identification is ok for expats......I predict expats will stop going to Koh Larn if they require a passport...Most farangs are not so stupid as to be carrying  their passport around.....Especially to a wet sandy beach.. 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I went to Koh Larn yesterday, no identification required.

I watched the 7:30 ferry come in this morning, it was filled.

Thanks for the update......The identification thing was just DUMB.......I mean come on, any one with 2 working brain cells could figure out Koh Larn would be the most easy place in the world for illegal immigrants to sneak into...