Need info, entering Phuket, what documents are required?

arfandy

We are living in Bangkok. I (expat) has received Sinovac jabs, twice. 

Wife (thai) has received first dose of Astra vaccine.

Kids, no vaccinated yet. Ages 15 months, 4 years, and 7 years respectively. Do they require PCR test to enter Phuket for shot brief vacation? 

Does Phuket still require 14 days mandatory self-lockdown for ALL visitors?

Is now a good time to visit Phuket before July 1 Sandbox plan? I've heard that after Sandbox plan takes effect, it will be even complicated to enter Phuket, therefore it is now (June) or never.

How is the weather in Phuket now? We are going for the beach and maybe some sightseeing/photoshot at famous tourist destination (but i'm not sure if those attractions are still open or closed)..

Please help with current informations.

Thank you ????

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

First of all understand that there are two categories of people entering Phuket.  Domestic travelers, such as yourself and your family, and international arrivals (people subject to the Phuket Sandbox requirements that are not finalized yet).

You, your wife, and children under age 5 are fine to enter without testing.  Your 7 year old will need to be tested, but it can be the less expensive antigen test and it need only be done up to 7 days before entering Phuket.

The only 14-day quarantine required by Phuket is for people who don't otherwise meet the DOMESTIC requirements.  As said already your entire family meets the domestic requirements assuming your 7 year old gets tested.

Is now a good time to visit Phuket?  Yes, if you like it quiet and uncrowded.  If you can be happy with choosing between 10 restaurants that are open in your immediate area rather than 60, then you'll be OK.

The Phuket Sandbox rules are very unlikely to affect you directly because again you are domestic arrivals not international arrivals.  You don't have to stay in SHA Plus hotels, you don't have to be tested according to the Phuket Sandbox schedule (whatever that turns out to be).

How is the weather?  Well, it's low season in Phuket.  Phuket is in the Andaman Sea, so we are experiencing the southwest monsoon.  It's not unheard of for it to rain for a while, sometimes every day, sometimes not for a few days.  Sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour.  It's usual that for a very large portion of almost every day it will be dry.

To be honest, weather is better in July and August in the Gulf of Thailand than in the Andaman Sea, so places like Samui would in general have better weather than Phuket during this period.  If swimming is a big deal for you make sure where you're staying has a pool as rip tides and waves make swimming at many of the west coast beaches unadvisable.

Temples, Big Buddha, viewpoints etc. are open, places like FantaSea and the like are not.  Bars are not open, nightlife is not happening.  No alcohol is (legally) sold in restaurants.  The big Central Festival and Floresta Malls are open in Phuket town, Jungceylon mall is closed in Patong.  Generally, more activity in Phuket Town and Rawai than in places like Patong, Karon, Kata because a greater number of people living in those places (locals and expats).  I'm not very familiar with the north of the island but some of those areas also have more activity (places open) than the traditional west coast tourist towns such as Patong/Karon/Kata.

In my opinion, you have to look at the positives as well as the negatives.  Traffic is simply never going to better than it is now in Phuket.  The beaches are never going to be as uncrowded as they are now.

Only you know if that's what you're looking for.  Phuket Sandbox shouldn't really affect you, unless hordes of tourists come, and nobody is really expecting that (not even TAT and that's saying something!).

1623303082_1-org.jpg

Thank you very much for valuable information.

Yes, we are likely to visit Phuket now than waiting until sandbox scheme happens. For family trip, which beach (or part of Phuket) do you recommend us to stay? Nightlife is not on our list, maybe places with more local restaurants rather than pubs, kids are probably just wanna play all day on beach....maybe one day at kids waterpark or kids zone (i'm not sure if those places are still closed or open)

And as myself is foreigner, do i better bring my passport with me? Does the checkpoint border/police will check up driving license, valid visa? Sorry for asking since we have not been to Phuket for many years now, and this is my first time driving car from Bkk to Phuket instead of taking the flight.

And lastly, does everyone require to wear on mask while playing on the beaches or swimming? Or going around the town?

Appreciate your great help. Thanks

Hi Skatewash, thanks for your input, as I find it to be also applicable to my own upcoming plans. I do have one question for clarification, please

If I read the OP's opening query correctly, his wife is vaccinated, but he is not. I understood from the attached requirments that doomestic travellers who are not yet vaccinated are all required to take a test up to 7 days before arrival. Is this not correct? Thanks

9 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

Hi Skatewash, thanks for your input, as I find it to be also applicable to my own upcoming plans. I do have one question for clarification, please

If I read the OP's opening query correctly, his wife is vaccinated, but he is not. I understood from the attached requirments that doomestic travellers who are not yet vaccinated are all required to take a test up to 7 days before arrival. Is this not correct? Thanks

From the OP:

Wife (thai) has received first dose of Astra vaccine.

I understood that the OP has received a full course (two doses) of the Sinovac vaccine.  His wife has only received one dose of AstraZeneca but that vaccine is the exception and for purposes of entry into Phuket without testing is sufficient.  [The argument is that of the two vaccines available locally the effectiveness after a first dose of AstraZeneca is better than Sinovac.  Of course, there is also a shortage of vaccinations available so relaxing the requirements in this way allows more people to enter.]

Anyone not vaccinated (and over age 5) would need to have a negative covid test within seven days of entering Phuket.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, skatewash said:

Anyone not vaccinated (and over age 5) would need to have a negative covid test within seven days of entering Phuket.

We live in Thailand, is the covid test available at the bridge? Or how does that work? 

Edited by Venom

2 hours ago, Venom said:

We live in Thailand, is the covid test available at the bridge? Or how does that work? 

No you would need to get a covid test, rapid antigen or RT-PCR, within seven days of crossing into Phuket.  I don't believe you can get one provided at the checkpoint after crossing the bridge.  I understand you can get one, rapid antigen, from Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga (for instance) for about 620 baht.  The list of medical test center labs in the country is here, you can look for a specific one or sort by province:

https://service.dmsc.moph.go.th/labscovid19/indexen.php

If flying in domestically you would need such a negative covid test before boarding to come to Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, arfandy said:

Details for Phuket Sandbox are still missing, however this article from today's news might have your interest...