Do only foreigners have to wear masks?

Ned Ludd

I ask this because I am puzzled that all of the pictures that my Thai "relatives" post on Facebook and send me by email show them on the beach, at restaurants and in town not wearing masks. All the information I have seen so far state that masks MUST be worn but the locals in Phuket seem exempt.

I have asked them why they do not wear masks and they say they do not have to as they are local and have had a covid vaccine injection and that the wearing of masks only  applies to foreigners.

Really puzzled over this.

Well, eating at the restaurant obviously one can not wear a mask, and then on the beach with no one around, and going swimming in the ocean that's another nope no ne wears them.  I just returned from Hua Hin and it was much the same as your pointing out.  However, tonight running in Lumpini Park everyone was wearing a mask and the park police were using their whistles and pointing towards the scofflaws that had then under their nose and yelling at them to wear it correctly.   

Mask wearing is mandatory for everyone here even while driving in cars with more than yourself.  First offense is 1k Baht, second up to 10k baht, and the third time up to 20k baht fine. 

I think they are drinking to much lao kao, your relatives not the government as they are drinking the good stuff....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

When asked further about the masks, I am told that masks only prevent those who have covid from coughing and spreading it and as they have been vaccinated they cannot catch it or spread it but they are Thai and we are only foreigners so what de we know?

All I know is that it will be many years before I think of visiting Thailand unless there is a drastic change to the way that they are now treating foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It has got a bit ridiculous. Even TV presenters are wearing masks, even though they are not near anyone else. The Royal news presenters similar. I'd guess this is just used as an example to others but no one doing exercise is likely to pass Covid as they're running past someone; other countries have research that shows the virus doesn't spread so well outdoors.

But they do seem to believe wearing a mask means social distancing is unnecessary, as can be seen in the myriad of publicity photos with people standing right next to each other.

It's mostly a question of where in Thailand they are. In my neighborhood in Bangkok, pretty much everyone (Thais and foreigners alike) wears a mask right now. In the countryside and/or in places with fewer cases, it can be much different. Personally, I haven't noticed any different expectations with regards to mask wearing by me as a foreigner vs by Thais in the same place.

• Like 1

PHUKET:
on the beach i only see thais wearing masks>
as to shots of people in restaurants, you dont need wear a mask if ur eating or drinking>

Some thai's & Farangs dont wear face masks but chin masks   LOL

• Like 1

13 hours ago, connda said:

Do only foreigners have to wear masks?

No.  But only dirty foreigners are publicly excoriated on social media and on Thai news.  Thais are given a pass.

"No.  But only dirty foreigners are publicly excoriated on social media and on Thai news.  Thais are given a pass."

Totally not correct, time for you to watch Thai language news sources and see Thais get blasted.

• Sad 1