PM Prayut: All sides must manage vaccine quotas

webfact

7ca046e5800394131e5d3f17aee7eef4_small.jpg

By Praphorn Praphornkul

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the Ministry of Public Health held a joint press conference June 14 to clarify issues related to COVID-19 vaccine availability, which caused misunderstandings, and the rollout of vaccines, which is behind schedule. Following the joint press conference, the BMA is fine-tuning its vaccine management according to its quota.

Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, as CCSA Director, said the vaccine doses are gradually arriving in the country. If the government orders one million doses, not all of them are delivered at once. They arrive in batches, and all sectors must manage their vaccine quotas accordingly.

Gen. Prayut explained the issue to the Senate meeting, insisting that the government is addressing related issues while ensuring enough vaccine doses are available until next year. He also told reporters that the government is doing its best to acquire more vaccines. Local agencies must manage their vaccine quotas in accordance with availability at any given time, and the doses have to be given to risk groups first. They include registered people with congenital diseases.

Currently, the COVID-19 vaccine doses are for emergency use. They can be only be accessed through reservation. The government is working to distribute the doses to the people quickly, and agreements have been made to receive them in batches.

Almost 100 percent of medical personnel as well as police, soldiers and volunteers, have been inoculated. The vaccination drive on June 7, which was set as a part of the national agenda, aimed to inoculate people over 60 years old and people with congenital diseases, to reduce the severity of infections and prevent deaths.

Other target groups include teachers and education personnel in preparation for the reopening of schools, people working in the public transport sector as they may come into contact with passengers, and workers covered by Section 33 of the Social Security Act to help drive the economy forward.

This month, most of the COVID-19 vaccine doses managed by the BMA are the AstraZeneca vaccine. A meeting of the BMA’s subcommittee on COVID-19 vaccine management on June 12, approved a proposal on vaccine management, training and monitoring. The first priority is to inoculate those who have received their first AstraZeneca shot, followed by elderly people who have any of seven congenital diseases and have registered for their vaccination, medical workers who have not been vaccinated, and members of the public who have signed up to receive their vaccination at one of 25 venues under the Thai Ruam Jai, Krungthep Plodpai (Thais United, Safe Bangkok) system.

Hospitals in Bangkok and those supervised by the BMA, the Royal Thai Armed Forces, the Royal Thai Police, universities and major private firms, about 100 in total, are also to open a vaccine reservation system for at-risk elderly people who have not registered with the Mohpromt system. The hospitals will set priorities according to requests and inform those who wish to receive a vaccination about their appointments.

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

There's talk that Thai 'friends of friends', some relatively fit and in their 40's, have already get themselves double-shot in Udon Thani. It's easy to imagine that this is being mirrored elsewhere in the country, especially that black hole that is Bangkok. We must assume that this ooze of vaccines from the allocations to "medical personnel as well as police, soldiers and volunteers" has unsurprisingly contributed to the stuttering failure of the vaccine rollout for the great unvaccinated. Typically, the armies of the world are blessed with a good handle on logistics management and indeed are mission-critical in the current 'surge' test and vaccination in the UK's northwest.

Meanwhile, in Thailand...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government’s Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the Ministry of Public Health held a joint press conference June 14 to clarify issues related to COVID-19 vaccine availability, which caused misunderstandings, and the rollout of vaccines, which is behind schedule. Following the joint press conference, the BMA is fine-tuning its vaccine management according to its quota.

Should that not read "lack of availability" ?

There is no misunderstanding, the government is selling the country short !

• Like 1

Misunderstandings...

Gradually...

You had a year to get things in order and work to protect the people you are meant to serve, a whole year. But you did nothing except crow about your success.

However, pretty much 99% of people know the real truth and it's all about money and control. The top dogs have handling the pandemic with stupefying ineptness and idiocy, sprinkled daily with lies and deflections (oops I mean misunderstandings).

• Like 2

Many of the statements in the article are incorrect.  I know health care workers who are still waiting to be vaccinated.  The same with teachers.  People have received vaccinations without appointments and vaccinations have gone to people at little risk while other, older people more at risk have not been vaccinated.  I think more of the vaccines have been Sinovac and not AZ.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, newnative said:

Many of the statements in the article are incorrect.  I know health care workers who are still waiting to be vaccinated.  The same with teachers.  People have received vaccinations without appointments and vaccinations have gone to people at little risk while other, older people more at risk have not been vaccinated.  I think more of the vaccines have been Sinovac and not AZ.

Ah, but "do you know who they are"?

That is probably be of the prime movers in deciding who gets vaccinated - after all, we even had a chap on here crowing about getting a jab on day one " because his wife was friends with the head nurse"!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

How to they expect the hospitals and doctors at the front line to 'manage'?

water down the vaccines to give it to more people? Last week some hospital director in an attempt to suck up to his superior already attempted a hare-brained idea to use shorter syringe needle to draw 13 shots from the ampules instead of 11 or 12at a stretch resulting in the vaccines not reaching the depth required for injection

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Some authorities have slipped up and mentioned "production" issues. Bangkok Governor Aswin was one.

In a separate briefing, Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said there had been some "technical errors" in delivery of vaccines 

The quantity, source and delivery of vaccine supplies remains shrouded in obfuscation and mystery. Some obviously know waht;s going on, but for some reason they choose to shield that information.

Just out of curiosity, have recent articles in the New York Times and Financial Times about things made their way over? Are they blocked?

I came to the States end of May for my jabs etc, so I've been wondering how both articles are being handled there

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

How to they expect the hospitals and doctors at the front line to 'manage'?

water down the vaccines to give it to more people? Last week some hospital director in an attempt to suck up to his superior already attempted a hare-brained idea to use shorter syringe needle to draw 13 shots from the ampules instead of 11 or 12at a stretch resulting in the vaccines not reaching the depth required for injection

Well, the whole 16-week thing is "managing".

Who knows if/when those folks will get their second shot?

If it's a mess now, just wait until the fight between those wanting a first dose, and the second dosers.

Easy to say all will be well come the end of September, but what is that based on? Past performance?

• Haha 1

I have a slightly better (selfish) attitude since I got an apparently genuine appointment for 6/22 on the site yesterday. But there were people who tried minutes later who say they didn't. I kept thinking any such site should be able to discern, well, this is for people over 60 and this guy is 21 YEARS over 60-but who knows. Of course, if my appointment fails I'll do a flip-flop-I have good models.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

I came to the States end of May for my jabs etc, so I've been wondering how both articles are being handled there

Is the internet broken there?

Surely you can folllow developments from afar?

Haven't seen nr heard about any NYT/WSJ censorship here.