Eastern Economic Corridor organizers plan to boost investment for Old Town seafood market in Pattaya

webfact

pa.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya – The EEC (Eastern Economic Corridor) planners and relevant agencies are set to boost the Old Town Naklua Market in order to make the market one of the top seafood markets in ASEAN, according to them.

A meeting was held today (June 15th) and was led by the secretary of the EEC Kanit Sangsupan and the Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume.

Mr. Kanit told The Pattaya News reporters, “The Old Town Naklua market is one of the main projects under the ‘NEO Pattaya’ campaign which aims to develop Lan Poe Market with the local community and embrace the last local mangrove forest as a protected environmental tourist attraction.”

“The market will be developed to be one of the top seafood markets in ASEAN countries and become a major destination for domestic and foreign tourists who wish to see a true “traditional-style” market.”  Kanit continued.

“The Thai government will help with some of the investment. Moreover, we are also seeking for more investments from businessmen and interested parties in terms of this and other EEC projects.” Kanit stated, without detailing specifics in terms of investment numbers or budgets.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/15/eastern-economic-corridor-organizers-plan-to-boost-investment-for-old-town-seafood-market-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Haha 1

Even worse than that. These projects cause major disruptions in the area. I would be surprised if that drain project has not failed. There was no drop (and no pump) from the parking lot start of project to outfall in bay/mudflat. Most likely another one of these: Pattaya beach North end.

export1623802628078.jpg

Edited by morrobay

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“The market will be developed to be one of the top seafood markets in ASEAN countries and become a major destination for domestic and foreign tourists who wish to see a true “traditional-style” market.”  Kanit continued.

I think most foreign tourists would be horrified to see a traditional Thai wet market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Just so they can make it more expensive 

Exactly......

They are looking for INVESTORS in this project........

And what do INVESTORS want?  INVESTORS want a return on their Investment.........Which will be achieved through much higher rents........Which will be paid with much higher seafood prices...

The #1 reason the the Nakula seafood market is so popular is because it has LOW seafood prices..........

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

I used to enjoy going to the (tiny) park at Lan Poe and eating my seafood cooked at the market. I guess that will be the first to go. Heaven forbid Pattaya has any green spaces.

No can have nice parks, have make parking lot. There are number of sh*t lots just to South that could be free parking with shuttle bus to lam pho. I guess there are other considerations

export1623814459135.jpg

export1623814499660.jpg

22 minutes ago, morrobay said:

No can have nice parks, have make parking lot. There are number of sh*t lots just to South that could be free parking with shuttle bus to lam pho. I guess there are other considerations

export1623814459135.jpg

export1623814499660.jpg

Hey they turned the Bali Hai park into a parking garage..

So I guess it's only fitting that they turn the Nakula park into a parking garage too.....

I do think the new Jomtien park is a strong candidate for the next parking garage.....  

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Exactly......

They are looking for INVESTORS in this project........

And what do INVESTORS want?  INVESTORS want a return on their Investment.........Which will be achieved through much higher rents........Which will be paid with much higher seafood prices...

The #1 reason the the Nakula seafood market is so popular is because it has LOW seafood prices..........

We shall see how that works out for them . If the shrimp go over 250  baht/kilo there is the Pattaya tai market.

• Like 1

“The Old Town Naklua market is one of the main projects under the ‘NEO Pattaya’ campaign which aims to develop Lan Poe Market with the local community and embrace the last local mangrove forest as a protected environmental tourist attraction.”

That's the end of the mangrove forest

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Most of the issues there could be solved by raising the entire market with a couple of feet of concrete and installing drainage while doing it.

I think everyone here would agree the Nakula market could use a makeover....

But I dread to think what's in store for seafood market....After the likes of the beach roads and khao san road makeovers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Just what we need! Another superspreading market especially selling wet foods. Get vaccination sorted first!

Not that bad just passing through , but the venders have risk. It would help if that roof could be ventilated.

export1623824167931.jpg

Edited by morrobay

On 6/17/2021 at 8:36 AM, mikebell said:

This supposed upgrade is nothing to do with tourism. In these disastrous financial times ANY major building project is all about money laundering or scrabbling for commissions.

There used to be a July/August mini summer high season in Pattaya from Europeans along the beach. Then with multiple drain projects  and these so called promenade upgrades a miserable construction environment along the beach was created for at least two consecutive summer seasons. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Europeans stopped visiting in those months - they finally just had it. So then comes the big push for the mostly oblivious chinese masses as well as Indians to attempt to makeup for it. So the only thing " these upgrades" have to do with (quality) tourism is to destroy it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, morrobay said:

I don't think it was a coincidence that the Europeans stopped visiting in those months - they finally just had it.

Some visa issues for snowbirds didn't help.  It was the 4th month that they would normally stay for that caused the problem for them.  

16 hours ago, morrobay said:

So then comes the big push for the mostly oblivious chinese masses as well as Indians to attempt to makeup for it. So the only thing " these upgrades" have to do with (quality) tourism is to destroy it.

They really just wanted it all here, the quality, and the quantity.  It was never going to work.  Of course, exchange rates and higher prices in Pattaya didn't help.  

Eventually, pre covid times, Pattaya was basically left with just the quantity, which was mainly Chinese and Indian.