BEC World shares surge following return of morning news star Sorayuth Suthassanachinda

webfact

so.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Shares of BEC World (BEC), Thailand’s second-largest terrestrial TV operator, rose over 9 per cent on Tuesday after the return of its famous morning news anchor, Sorayuth Suthassanachinda.

BEC’s price peaked at 14.50, an increase of 9.02 per cent, before falling back to 14.10, but up 6.02 per cent, as of 3 p.m., with a transaction value of 593.7 million baht.

Analysts at Bualuang Securities expected the company’s results to turn around after posting losses for a third consecutive year, thanks to revenue recovery and the reappearance of Sorayuth, which could help attract more viewers.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/28581/bec-world-shares-surge-following-return-of-morning-news-star-sorayuth-suthassanachinda/

ti.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

He's a thief, a loudmouth, anti foreigner, loves his own voice and doesn't give the interviewee a chance.

He is worse than Piers Morgan on a good day. A toad, pond life! I dislike him intensely.

He also zooms on news stories that have anything to do with large amounts of money and anything to do with money. It's an obsession with him.

Regards to his jail sentence, Pathetic and an insult to law and order, but corruption by Thais themselves ranks low in the crime stakes! If it was one of us, we would be paraded before the cameras, finger pointing, and poster board with 20 cops in the background.

Piers bad? Come on man, no one is that bad but the guy himself

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Eight year sentence for massive embezzlement, released after 14 months. Thai justice system at work.

Firstly he repaid the money he stole.

Secondly he was one of 500 prisoners who were pardoned at the same time.

Thirdly he was not set completely free as he is on parole.

Fourthly he was fitted with a tracking device and has to report periodically to parole officials, as required.

Fifthly Why should he NOT go back to a job he was good at?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Fourthly he was fitted with a tracking device and has to report periodically to parole officials, as required.

Because he is in the public eye, on a public platform where he can hold influence over people and should therefore be leading by example. That's why.

How can he go on the TV and tell government where it is going wrong, why there is no public trust because of lies, deceit, and theft when he is doing exactly the same thing?

He paid back the money after he was caught to get a reduction in sentence. It was theft and on a huge scale.

A tracking device and parole!......... so you think that is justified after 14 months of an eight year sentence? What message does that send out?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I liked him before. Now I really like him.

He told it like it was during the flood of 2011 and the sad ability of the bureaucracy before and after. He nailed the feet of the PM and Bangkok Governor to the fire and didn't let up. 

Anti-Farang?? If you say so. Anti-foreigner, probably, but I won't hold that against him.

Never said Anti Farang, I said Anti foreigner. How can he give unbiased reports when his views are bigoted and xenophobic?

So he calls out the government during the flood of 2011, yet he himself is no upstanding citizen, is he?,I am  surprised he found the time to look up from the thieving he was doing to see what was going on in the country.

If you are going to be a journalist or a news anchor asking the awkward and tough questions, you have to have no skeletons in the cupboard yourself and you are there to be shot down in flames if you are not whiter than white, and that's what happened to him.

Now, you "really like him" 

Well, there's no accounting for taste or who one chooses as a role model. I mean even the Bernie Madoff got fan mail.

• Like 1

"Sorayuth returned to the news program last month after being released early from an eight-year sentence. Last year, Sorayuth was found guilty of embezzling 138 million baht from the state-run MCOT. In March, he was granted parole after serving 14 months."

It is really strange who Thai people choose as role models, even to the tune that company shares jump just because a convicted felon returns to his former TV station.

The other aspect is about ethics, of course. Is it ethical and morally right that a TV station - or in fact any company - re-employs somebody who had embezzled a whopping 138 million? He was NOT cleared of those charges and deemed innocent, but was actually convicted.

As another poster noted: He is wearing an ankle tracker, has "repaid all the money" and previously proved himself a "capable journalist asking tough questions" of politicians and influential people, exposing their corrupt shenanigans. I am not sure how that is supposed to be a valid argument. If you are a journalist exposing corruption, you better make damn sure that you are not corrupt yourself. And repaying what you had stolen does not make the crime that had been committed disappear.  

Furthermore, I am wondering how many other "normal" Thai citizens would be granted parole after serving only 1 eighth of their sentence for stealing 4.5 million US$ - and from a state agency, no less.

Actually, I know of a guy in my neighborhood who went behind bars for 3 years for stealing a mere 1,000 baht from our local mom-and-pop store. He repaid the 1,000 baht, yet still had to sit out the full term, dying shortly after his release due to poor health. No parole for the poor.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

So you say.... but you cannot unring a bell... twice rang bell at that.

Were all the other 499 sentenced to a total of 13 years and released after less than 4 of them!

On parole, he should still be in jail ....a typical example of uneven criminal justice here.

Oh dear, a tracking device... in some countries he would be less a hand, so he got off OK!

Because now the Thai media will be presenting a blatant hypocrite!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So you say.... but you cannot unring a bell... twice rang bell at that.

Were all the other 499 sentenced to a total of 13 years and released after less than 4 of them!

On parole, he should still be in jail ....a typical example of uneven criminal justice here.

Oh dear, a tracking device... in some countries he would be less a hand, so he got off OK!

Because now the Thai media will be presenting a blatant hypocrite!

As for the 499 other prisoners who were paroled, I have no idea who they were or what they were jailed for. IIRC they were not paroled as such but given an amnesty by the person who cannot be talked about.

Something that is an annual occurrence. As for who selects the people to be granted amnesty, and on what grounds I have no idea. Presumably some committee is formed to make that decision.

If you want some examples of corruption and moral degeneracy, then look no farther than the government, the military and the police.

I thought I heard his voice on the TV Mrs. Connda was watching.  I can't stand the cadence of his and his co-host's banter so I exit as quickly as possible.  It's utterly mind-numbing.

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Eight year sentence for massive embezzlement, released after 14 months. Thai justice system at work.

That's how it's done people!  ????  Money talks.