Worried about getting blood clots from a Covid-19 vaccine?

rwill

25 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

But you have to figure that in Thailand you have a very low chance of actually catching covid.  Almost certainly less than 1% of the population has had it.  Take 1% times 1/20,000 and your chances of catching covid and getting a blood clot as a result are less than 1 in 2 million vs 1 in 100k for the vaccines.

Unless Covid-19 just somehow disappears we will all be exposed to it at some point.  Just like influenza, even though we have some immunity to it and vaccinations for it, people still get exposed to it every year.  Around 500,000 people die from influenza complications every year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

I'm not worried. Once your number is up, off you go, there's little you can do.

And since we're talking about Thailand, the probability that an idiot driver will hit me is much higher than a vaccine related demise.

Reduce 50% chance by being vaccinated. Once vaccinated, you only have to careful of the idiot driver hitting you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get your INR checked with a simple blood check. I'm on blood thinners at the moment and get a monthly check up my INR needs to be between 2 to 4, for normal people it should be 1 . I asked my doctor a similar question about the risk after vaccination and she told me no problem.

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

Go and check your blood platelets next time you're at the hospital. If they are in normal range then the risk is presumably much lower

It doesn't work like that. I quote :-

What exactly is thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome?

Although we don’t yet have the full explanation, it appears that the AstraZeneca vaccine can activate platelets, which are small cells in our blood important for forming blood clots that prevent bleeding.

In some people, activated platelets can release a protein called platelet factor 4 (PF4), which binds to the AstraZeneca vaccine. It is thought that this binding of PF4 can induce the immune system to activate more platelets, making them stick together and thereby diminishing their numbers. This leads to blood clotting (thrombosis) and a low platelet count (thrombocytopaenia).

Having blood clots with a reduced number of platelets is a key feature of TTS.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rwill said:

Unless Covid-19 just somehow disappears we will all be exposed to it at some point.  Just like influenza,

Maybe, but why not just wait 3-6 months until you can get one of the really effective mRNA vaccines that don't have the clotting issue either?   Certainly that would be the lowest possible risk of getting a clot.

Slight off topic but is there any test in Thailand one can get to see if you have antibody's against covid-19. Reason I ask is that I think I had covid-19 in  Jan 2020, after a trip to Rayong, fever for about 4 days and just wanted to sleep. I took some anti-histamines and drank the brown mixture to knock me out.

Australia just changed it's AZ policy.

"Australia’s expert immunisation panel is recommending AstraZeneca should now only be given to people over the age of 60. The update is a change from the current advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation, which recommended the vaccine for people aged over 50.

My colleague Rachel Clun reports that seven of the 12 new cases of the rare clotting disorder linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine confirmed in the past week were in people aged 50 to 59."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-news-live-nsw-on-high-alert-as-two-new-local-covid-19-cases-recorded-in-sydney-victoria-restrictions-to-ease-20210616-p581lh.html

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Another pseudo-medical diversion without a reliable source, commented on by pseudo-doctors of forums on now a pseudo-risk of thrombosis.

Were you commenting on my post above?

If so, that's now the official policy of the Australian Govt as determined by their medical experts.

Nothing pseudo about it.

I'm not anti vax. But if you're under 60 and have the option of an alternative to AZ, then you'd be a fool to ignore the advice of experts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

No, I was not responding to your message precisely, but to everyone in general, including me.

I find it laughable and a source of misinformation when Neophyte go into detail about a subject they don't know. The problem is that these empirical digression obscures the essential.

Covid is dangerous. Without the vaccine, it would end up infecting us all and leading to the death of 2%. The unfortunate cases of side effects are tiny in comparison.

In short, we all need to get vaccinated.

No, we don’t all need to get vaccinated and Covid does not kill anywhere near 2% of people infected. You are not taking into account the vast majority of people that get Covid and have nothing more than a cold and are never tested. 
The risk is highly weighted to the elderly so if you are under 60 and healthy you are much lower risk. 
Let’s have a look at some official UK government data. Firstly, you would think from the news that there was an apocalyptic amount of people dying. So when was the previous year with this amount of deaths. Have a look:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/deathsintheukfrom1990to2020

Now, let’s have a look at the risk from dying in each age range.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/deathsfromcovid19byageband

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/ukcovid19deathsbyagewithnounderlyingconditions

From this you should be able to get an idea of the risk from Covid compared to the vaccine. And from what medical experts are saying only a small amount of the adverse reactions are reported. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone interested, this is the official statement (in part) released today from the Australian Govt's Department of Health (Australia was mainly relying on AZ, then parachuted in Pfizer when the blood clot issue arose);

"The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) recommends the COVID-19 Pfizer vaccine (Comirnaty) as the preferred vaccine for those aged 16 to under 60 years. This updates the previous preferential recommendation for Comirnaty over COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in those aged 16 to under 50 years.  The recommendation is revised due to a higher risk and observed severity of thrombosis and thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) related to the use of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine observed in Australia in the 50-59 year old age group than reported internationally and initially estimated in Australia.

For those aged 60 years and above, the individual benefits of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine are greater than in younger people. The risks of severe outcomes with COVID-19 increase with age and are particularly high in older unvaccinated individuals. The benefit of vaccination in preventing COVID-19 with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca outweighs the risk of TTS in this age group and underpins its ongoing use in this age group.

People of any age without contraindications who have had their first dose of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca without any serious adverse events should receive a second dose of the same vaccine. This is supported by data indicating a substantially lower rate of TTS following a second COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca dose in the United Kingdom (UK).

In making the decision to revise the previous recommendation, ATAGI has considered several factors that have been monitored closely, including:

The potential risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19 over the coming months

Minimising harms to people due to adverse events following immunisation

Australian data on the age-specific risks and severity of TTS following COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca

The expected vaccine supply over the months ahead

The impacts of any change in recommendation on the COVID-19 vaccine program."

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-statement-on-revised-recommendations-on-the-use-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-17-june-2021

• Like 2

11 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Slight off topic but is there any test in Thailand one can get to see if you have antibody's against covid-19. Reason I ask is that I think I had covid-19 in  Jan 2020, after a trip to Rayong, fever for about 4 days and just wanted to sleep. I took some anti-histamines and drank "the brown mixture" to knock me out.

You talking rum?

On 6/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, Caldera said:

Excellent advice. This is why I prefer to vacation in highly active war zones. I figure if my number is up, there's little I can do. So what does it matter where I am when it happens. 

On 6/16/2021 at 8:22 PM, DavisH said:
On 6/16/2021 at 6:41 PM, jack71 said:

Go and check your blood platelets next time you're at the hospital. If they are in normal range then the risk is presumably much lower

It doesn't work like that. I quote :-

What exactly is thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome?

Although we don’t yet have the full explanation, it appears that the AstraZeneca vaccine can activate platelets, which are small cells in our blood important for forming blood clots that prevent bleeding.

In some people, activated platelets can release a protein called platelet factor 4 (PF4), which binds to the AstraZeneca vaccine. It is thought that this binding of PF4 can induce the immune system to activate more platelets, making them stick together and thereby diminishing their numbers. This leads to blood clotting (thrombosis) and a low platelet count (thrombocytopaenia).

Having blood clots with a reduced number of platelets is a key feature of TTS.

There are two different types of Blood Clots... 

The most common type (impacting 1 in 1000 people per year or 1 in 4 people in their lifetime) is a DVT which can migrate into a Pulmonary Embolism - effectively this is ‘blood thickening’ and is caused by a number of factors primarily dehydration - it has been noted that Thrombosis (conventional) is a commonly observed in Covid-19 patients. 

Thrombotic thrombocytopenia (as described above) is a different type of blood clot cause by excessing thinning of the blood, rather than thickening. Due to excessive thinning the plateless can fall out of suspension and themselves cause a clot - this is the type of blood clot which has been associated with the AZ vaccine (and possibly others) and occur at 4 in 1,000,000 people. 

Those 4 in 1,000,000 people may have a natural susceptibility to heparin induced Thrombocytopenia, whereas more commonly, a lot of people have a natural susceptibility to conventional Thrombosis. 

6% of Caucasians have a Factor V Leiden mutation which presents a strong susceptibility to Thrombosis.

In summary: People should be worried about conventional Thrombosis anyway. 

The calve muscles are ‘pumps’ for the circulatory system, thus, remain active, do not sit for long periods of time. Do not allow the blood flow in your legs to be restricted. Remain hydrated, drink lots of water.

The risks of conventional Thrombosis may also be elevated after taking a vaccine if the patient encounters symptom, feeling feverish, aches, headache etc due to the higher potential for being dehydrated. 

The same can be said of anyone suffering any illness, cold, influenza etc - the body naturally becomes dehydrated when handling illness.

The recent hysteria surrounding Thrombosis is brought on by the media - the risks of conventional Thrombosis have always been present at rates which would alarm many of us. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, rodknock said:

why should i worry about blood clots, i can not get vaccinated.

Read the above post - you should ‘be aware’ of your risk and mitigate accordingly in every day life. 

This is why doctors are always telling us, drink lots of water !

On 6/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, brianthainess said:

Slight off topic but is there any test in Thailand one can get to see if you have antibody's against covid-19. Reason I ask is that I think I had covid-19 in  Jan 2020, after a trip to Rayong, fever for about 4 days and just wanted to sleep. I took some anti-histamines and drank the brown mixture to knock me out.

Yes... lots of hospitals are advertising Anti-Body tests....  

These are of course, useless in finding out if you have had a past case of Covid-19 if you have been vaccinated - its also possible that antibodies may have diminished below detectable levels in 17 months since you suspect you had Covid-19 - thus any result will remain relatively inconclusive, the anti-body tests are also not highly accurate. 

On 6/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, Caldera said:

And since we're talking about Thailand, the probability that an idiot driver will hit me is much higher than a vaccine related demise.

I know what you mean... once your numbers up.. thats it... 

Amulets help though....   so when I’m walking across a road without looking I don’t need to worry. 

I don’t need to wear my seatbelt, I don’t need to wear my motorcycle helmet. 

If I catch Covid-19 and die or get seriously ill, it was just my 'number coming up’  !!!

No point taking a vaccine to prevent my number from coming up is there.... lets just be fatalistic and ignore medicine...

I think I won’t bother with antibiotics... when my numbers up, its up !!!  ????

On 6/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, Centrum said:

You talking rum?

Not sure if you were trying to make a joke. But No Leopard medical brand Brown mixture in a small green box with a red Leopard on it. A cough mixture with a small % of camphorated opium tincture in the ingredients, available everywhere even in Ma-Pa shops about 22b.

Brown mixture is worth a google.

More concerned with missing out on some fresh powder two seasons in a row.   Only one day slightly feverish and less than gym workout level soreness in my arm.   

Bring on that 2nd jab!

...of slightly greater concern, now that my wife and I have been AZ'ed, I am a bit uncomfortable with my kids being the first in the family to get the Moderna or Pfizer jab when the time comes.   Will probably end up going through with it, but would have felt better to be able to get it first (as a father).   

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1