Michelin Guide to Introduce Starred Restaurants in Ayutthaya

webfact

screenshot_13936.jpg

BANGKOK, June 16 (TNA) – The 5th edition of the Michelin Guide Thailand will have Ayutthaya as a new destination where it will introduce starred restaurants because the province possesses outstanding foods and cultures.

Ayutthaya will be the 5th province that Michelin Guide Thailand will survey for quality restaurants. The book entitled the Michelin Guide Bangkok, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket & Phang-Nga 2022 will present the food tourism potential of Ayutthaya.

Gwendal Poulllennec, international director of Michelin Guides, said Ayutthaya was one of Thailand's food gems. The province had been a hub of global trade and diplomacy and thus been influenced by Portuguese, Japanese, Indian and Persian cultures especially when it came to local foods. 

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-718116

tnalogo.jpg

There are some amazing restaurants of all shapes and sizes in Ayutthaya, but sadly there is no Portuguese, Indian or Persian to be found. You can get lots of Japanese and Korean, but that's because of the industrial estates.

I wonder if one of the traditional "Noo Nah" (BBQ'd Farm Rat) will make it in the list? 

• Haha 1

I have lived in Ayutthaya for more than a decade.  (I divide my time between Ayutthaya and Bangkok, and in the latter I eat at Michelin-starred restaurants a few times a year - on birthdays, anniversaries, that sort of thing.)  I can honestly say that I have never encountered a restaurant in Ayutthaya that is anywhere close to Michelin-standard.  I suspect this is a stunt by TAT, paying Michelin for inclusion in its guides to boost tourism.  Anyway, I await the list of recommended restaurants with bated breath.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

sadly there is no ... Indian ... to be found.

You're forgetting Chang House on Soi Naresuan 1.  (It is currently closed, though, thanks to COVID, AFAIK.)

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You're forgetting Chang House on Soi Naresuan 1.  (It is currently closed, though, thanks to COVID, AFAIK.)

They had 2 Indian curries by name, but not really by nature.

It's a little surprising their aren't any actual Indian restaurants, as a lot of factories have them working in machining. 

Once Michelin started including street stalls like dumplings in Hong Kong & crab omelets in Bangkok, like the Old West, they became a star for hire.

If you ever get to dine (eat is too coarse a word here) in a starred fine restaurant--and somebody else is paying--you're in for a treat. They were overpriced before Michelin 'discovered' them. And absolutely worth it for a special occasion.