Dimming LED Rear Car Lights

Does anyone know how to dim a rear LED Car Plate like Photo attached for an example ?

I know there is a fair bit of discussion on how the brightness of these things annoys/affects other road users, not debating that, just if i purchased a set how could i dim these LEDs so as not to affect/annoy anyone ?

Googled a few things and seen that you can insert a resistor into the positive feed to reduce the brightness, not been able to work out exactly what i would need, or find any resistor on Lazada to order and try ? although there appear to be lots of listings, would need to know what exactly to buy, or a few to try
Any help please ?

31CFD-lBDrL.jpg

81EpcMeVJkL._SL1500_.jpg

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If that's a permanently "on" illuminated nameplate, or it lights up with the brake lights, not just as an additional reversing light, it's illegal and adjusting it's brightness so as not to annoy following drivers would be academic.

Showing a white light to the rear of a vehicle (except when reversing) is not permitted under Thai law or internationally ratified vehicle lighting standards.

Thankyou for the Thai Law Information, The question remains the same, if you get stuck on what is legal or not, try imagining this LED as being Inside the Car as a pretty LED display for your young daughter in the rear of the Car then . . . . 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If that's a permanently "on" illuminated nameplate, or it lights up with the brake lights, not just as an additional reversing light, it's illegal and adjusting it's brightness so as not to annoy following drivers would be academic.

Showing a white light to the rear of a vehicle (except when reversing) is not permitted under Thai law or internationally ratified vehicle lighting standards.

Should I  cut the wires on my numberplate lights ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0NMGZ2A5M

Any LED shop can make this for you if unable to do it yourself.

Or electronics shop doing repairs on whatever - TV's Stereos, ...

Even adjustable !

Thanks for this, was led (No pun intended ????) this way by another user and have actually seen them on Lazada now
Thanks

7 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Thankyou for the Thai Law Information, The question remains the same, if you get stuck on what is legal or not, try imagining this LED as being Inside the Car as a pretty LED display for your young daughter in the rear of the Car then . . . . 

You're welcome.

That imagined situation is still illegal if your vehicle is showing a white light to the rear, regardless of whose amusement it is for.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, because they are shielded from showing a light directly to the rear, that light is directed forwards or sideways to the plate.  

Ahh righto, your post was a bit vague just generalizing white lights.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do  you have a link to the Thai road law were it mentions white lights on rear of vehicle.

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Ahh righto, your post was a bit vague just generalizing white lights.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do  you have a link to the Thai road law were it mentions white lights on rear of vehicle.

Thailand is a participating member of the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic and the 1968 United Nations Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which specify standardised vehicle lighting, it's covered by that.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thailand is a participating member of the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic and the 1968 United Nations Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which specify standardised vehicle lighting, it's covered by that.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is pretty simple. Take off the trim and unplug the offending "Everest" light. Or if you only want a dimmer version apply layers of darkest window tint to the letters until desired dimness is achieved. No resistor required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

No, I don't need to as it's covered by those conventions that Thailand has ratified.

34 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Got a link to those conventions that Thailand has ratified ?

I'm sure you know how to search for it same as I did.

If you don't believe that my comment was correct, could you explain why no vehicle manufacturer, anywhere, produces vehicles with white lights showing directly to the rear?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm sure you know how to search for it same as I did.

If you don't believe that my comment was correct, could you explain why no vehicle manufacturer, anywhere, produces vehicles with white lights showing directly to the rear?

Did not say I don't believe, I just like to read up on this sort of stuff.

Hence I was asking for a link.... Either English or Thai.

• Sad 1

On 6/16/2021 at 1:17 PM, pattayapip said:

Does anyone know how to dim a rear LED Car Plate like Photo attached for an example

Just add a resistor to the supply line for the particular LED.

First identify the wire supplying power to the offending light, (usually on the plug going into the light) cut it so both ends are accessible, solder in place an appropriate resistor.
The resistor can get warm so an air gap between it and anything else would be recommended.
Most probably a 1 watt or 5w wire wound ceramic would be appropriate, the value of which should be determined by trial and error.

These are cheap so I would suggest buying 1 x 500ohms, 1 x 1k ohms and 1 x 2k ohms and then try each one till the desired 'dimness' is achieved.

Tip: If after use of the highest value still does not reach the desired dimness, they can be added together, or even all 3.

ceramic 1.jpg

wire wound.jpg

• Like 2

Perhaps if the OP has asked how to dim an led in the electrical section he would not have got any flack.

Whilst appreciate that the OP is trying to improve things for those unfortunates following behind, many are not impressed as this sort of thing can only add to problems encountered whilst driving at night.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Perhaps if the OP has asked how to dim an led in the electrical section he would not have got any flack.

Whilst appreciate that the OP is trying to improve things for those unfortunates following behind, many are not impressed as this sort of thing can only add to problems encountered whilst driving at night.

There is many many worse problems on the roads here than this......for example everyone else driving!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, mikebike said:

This is pretty simple. Take off the trim and unplug the offending "Everest" light. Or if you only want a dimmer version apply layers of darkest window tint to the letters until desired dimness is achieved. No resistor required.

Window tint will cost approx a 1000 times what a resistor would cost.... 

2 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

First identify the wire supplying power to the offending light, (usually on the plug going into the light) cut it so both ends are accessible, solder in place an appropriate resistor.
The resistor can get warm so an air gap between it and anything else would be recommended.
Most probably a 1 watt or 5w wire wound ceramic would be appropriate, the value of which should be determined by trial and error.

These are cheap so I would suggest buying 1 x 500ohms, 1 x 1k ohms and 1 x 2k ohms and then try each one till the desired 'dimness' is achieved.

Tip: If after use of the highest value still does not reach the desired dimness, they can be added together, or even all 3.

ceramic 1.jpg

wire wound.jpg

Why define by test & error? It's easy enough to find the formula to calculate Voltage drop if you don't know it...???? 

Correct method for everest or fortuner rear red white led badge is connect red glow to brake circuit and white glow to reverse circuit.

Good car electric shop can modify the red led circuit to dimm level for continuous operation at night times and go full bright when brake is operated.

Law in thailand is not so hard about car light but is not so smart to have white light at rear when moving forward

• Like 2

4 hours ago, millymoopoo said:

ceramic 1.jpg

wire wound.jpg

Thankyou for this, Much appreciated a direct answer to the Question I asked ????