Probably a dumb question, so rip into me if you wish.

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

It's an IT term for an isolated system where you can experiment and test stuff out without risking messing up the real set-up. It's a sandbox because you can 'play' in it, like kids play in a real sandbox.

Now, it seems to get used for any sort of isolated testing/practice/experimental situation. 

Indeed. They like to look really modern using 1990s technology terms. Next week I expect they'll upgrade the forms to Adobe Flash.....

• Haha 1

Basically what it means is that whatever sandbox area you go to you will not be allowed to travel outside of it.  So if there is a virus outbreak it will be contained in just that area.  That's the theory anyway.

• Like 2

A sandbox with regards to Phuket is similar to a 'kitties litter box ' Deposits of misinformation are deposited  and removed on a  daily basis by desperate officials trying to lure tourists to return to the island

The original term sandbox is from 20th century N. America. We had a sandbox when growing up. This meaning may be more appropriate to the Phuket sandbox organizers.

1. 1.
    North American
    a shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.

2. 2.
    Computing
    a testing environment in a computer system in which new or untested software can be run securely.

• Like 2

According to Thaiest.com, Phuket Sandbox is a new program that should allow foreign travelers who are fully vaccinated to enter Thailand without quarantine. The program is scheduled to start on 1 July 2021, before Thai borders will be fully reopened.

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Basically what it means is that whatever sandbox area you go to you will not be allowed to travel outside of it.  So if there is a virus outbreak it will be contained in just that area.  That's the theory anyway.

I wonder about that theory.  So you can all move about freely in the Phuket sand box for seven days, spreading the virus around, then some of the sandbox tourists can travel to Bangkok?

And do the hotel staff never leave the sandbox environment?

It's more of a sandseive.

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I wonder about that theory.  So you can all move about freely in the Phuket sand box for seven days, spreading the virus around, then some of the sandbox tourists can travel to Bangkok?

And do the hotel staff never leave the sandbox environment?

It's more of a sandseive.

14 days now

13 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

More like playing in the kitty litter box than the sandbox at present. 

OK an IT expression. To me it's a designated place in a park where you can take your dog for a d**p. There is one round the corner...and yes it has sand in it.

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

14 days now

OK .... but still mixing with Thai staff and other tourists during the 14 days, with people leaving for Bangkok all the time as their 14 days end.  The science is suspect.