Possible corruption in provincial lamp post procurements

snoop1130

16-corr-2-1024x576.jpg

Thailand’s netizens are sharing images of “fancy” lamp posts, with Thai sculptures on the top, in many rural areas. One of them is in Nakhon Si Thammarat and has led to a corruption probe by local authorities, according to the provincial anti-corruption agency.

Nakhon Si Thammarat province procured 108 lamp posts, for Karom Road in Pho-Sadet sub-district, with a budget of 10 million baht, as earlier reported by Thai PBS’s Thai-language service. The winning bidder bid an average of over 92,000 Baht per post, a price point which the public has found unreasonable.

The same project also covered 112 new street signs along one road in town, with a budget of over 2 million baht.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/possible-corruption-in-provincial-lamp-post-procurements/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-16

• Haha 2

I do not know about the lamp posts, but the corruption that go's on in the roads that the lamp posts  sit on ,has I think got worse over the past few years, road re laid 6 months ago  near me ,has more crack in it than on my old grans fruit cake  and that is not the only one .

This junta in my area has done a lot to the rural road system ,but a lot will be back to what they were before in  a few years time. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Nakhon Si Thammarat province procured 108 lamp posts, for Karom Road in Pho-Sadet sub-district, with a budget of 10 million baht, as earlier reported by Thai PBS’s Thai-language service. The winning bidder bid an average of over 92,000 Baht per post, a price point which the public has found unreasonable.

The same project also covered 112 new street signs along one road in town, with a budget of over 2 million baht.

Someone's doing very nicely out of all this.

• Like 1

I wondered about this when I saw the fancy dolphin ones springing up all around Pattaya..... one just knows they were a little more expensive than they should have been! Wonder if there is any connection to the companies supplying them elsewhere. 

Ah well, they won't get damaged by that other great monetary cash cow,  flooding alleviation works. 

Follow the money, until someone high up tells you to stop.

Am sensing someone on an MP's staff slipped something into a budget bill re: cultural/civic improvements, with budget that had to be spent by fiscal year end, and then recommended a specific supplier. Kick-backs for all, crappy fixtures for the masses. Yippee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

This is news? I first heard Thais talking about corruption in the procurement of locally-themed fancy lampposts over 20 years ago...

Well not all of us read twenty-year old newspapers.

But thanks for that update, and now lets go to the weather report from 1988.

• Like 1

My personal favorite is U-turn bridges over the railroad tracks in every two samlaw village while the main road gets a traffic light! Literally 30 people and a heard of cows in our village and we get a u-turn bridge nearly the size of the Bangkok toll way! A few hundred million baht well spent. We can use it to safely get the cattle to the other side of the tracks!???? 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Mukdahan...

In a country where some struggle for their daily survival.

Rotten to the bone.

Seen similar examples on the net.

And they are everywhere.

In March I drove on Pattaya eastside along some less than unimportant road along some fields with such kitsch.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Mukdahan...

E3_GfjLVoAA4J-P.jpg

E3_GfjMUYAQAweR.jpg

By the look of the 'fluid' in the glass containers, that's a disguised local moonshine distillery lol

Edited by Caspersfriend