Sangsom Similan. Your views please.

8 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Absolute muck, if you must drink cheap Thai spirits have a look and red and black cock, that's horrible as well but not as bad. Kulov vodka is the best Thai spirit imo. Dewars white label whiskey for me. 

Tried the red and black cock. Horrble. Will check out Dewars. Thanks

22 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Absolute muck, if you must drink cheap Thai spirits have a look and red and black cock, that's horrible as well but not as bad. Kulov vodka is the best Thai spirit imo. Dewars white label whiskey for me. 

Kulov @ Bht 400 a litre is very good value, and taste.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

I have never tried it myself so can not comment but my wife has tried Black Cock but couldn't take too much of it, she said it made her feel giddy, but I'm not sure if she translated that correctly.

She could try back and red at the same time of course ????

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Excel said:

I have never tried it myself so can not comment but my wife has tried Black Cock but couldn't take too much of it, she said it made her feel giddy, but I'm not sure if she translated that correctly.

some say once u go black u never go back....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I have been waiting for this thread for a decade! SANGSOM!!!!! The gift and the curse--and a possible covid cure as it kills everything on contact lol.....

SS has been my LOS drink for many yrs as Im cheap charlie....Ive tried all SS varieties, even the elusive similan as it says its EXPORT by im still trying to find out why it never made it out of the country and what exactly is IN SS as there are many rumors..many thais even telling me it will kill you--make u crazy and some have never even seen the similan version.....which makes me want to drink it more lol

I like mine with ginger ale and lime..but have even pulled off the "tea trick" as I drink bottled tea all day, so when im going out for a SS night i will get a bottle of SS and fill my tea bottle--plastic and easy to smuggle around.....less folks likely to steal a bottle of tea in my mbike basket as well!

I even drink it straight as i wander the town after eating a big meal and getting the bottle-2 mixers and ice bucket at a bar I found that sell ALL the SS varieties..the owner wouldnt even tell me where he buys his similan bottles that are 14 yrs old and come in dusty boxes---where are they keeping these!?

Anyhoo I tried with similan but man what a hangover--the reg SS is ok but I found a local mom-pop shop that sells the PREMIUM BLUE label SS....and even my thai friend shares it with me as he wont touch the similan and the premuim blue label seems to me to be the smoothest of all the the SS varieties

Still its a crappy low grade sugarcane rum so horrible hangovers but its a love hate relationship! ????

The similan label looks cool and has a coconut-vanilla  smell but give the blue label SS a try-Cheers!

Sangsom + Coke for me with a little ice ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

kop khun krup..my memoirs should be out soon....Tuesdays with Somchai..... ????

Set it to music with the "Barbers Shop Band" just to feel inclusive and to attract some other members ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I have been waiting for this thread for a decade! SANGSOM!!!!! The gift and the curse--and a possible covid cure as it kills everything on contact lol.....

SS has been my LOS drink for many yrs as Im cheap charlie....Ive tried all SS varieties, even the elusive similan as it says its EXPORT by im still trying to find out why it never made it out of the country and what exactly is IN SS as there are many rumors..many thais even telling me it will kill you--make u crazy and some have never even seen the similan version.....which makes me want to drink it more lol

I like mine with ginger ale and lime..but have even pulled off the "tea trick" as I drink bottled tea all day, so when im going out for a SS night i will get a bottle of SS and fill my tea bottle--plastic and easy to smuggle around.....less folks likely to steal a bottle of tea in my mbike basket as well!

I even drink it straight as i wander the town after eating a big meal and getting the bottle-2 mixers and ice bucket at a bar I found that sell ALL the SS varieties..the owner wouldnt even tell me where he buys his similan bottles that are 14 yrs old and come in dusty boxes---where are they keeping these!?

Anyhoo I tried with similan but man what a hangover--the reg SS is ok but I found a local mom-pop shop that sells the PREMIUM BLUE label SS....and even my thai friend shares it with me as he wont touch the similan and the premuim blue label seems to me to be the smoothest of all the the SS varieties

Still its a crappy low grade sugarcane rum so horrible hangovers but its a love hate relationship! ????

The similan label looks cool and has a coconut-vanilla  smell but give the blue label SS a try-Cheers!

The mom and pop shop I buy the Similan from here in Chiang Mai have got cases of it. I have not seen it anywhere else. Would hate to find out how long it has been in stock, just as well I am not fussy.

Will give the blue label a go, thanks for the tip. Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganoga said:

Please tell me where you can get Similan Rum. I like it. But its sold out here in hua hin. Im near chiang mai now....anybody know where i can pick some up?

you can buy it in hua hin at the hin lek fai supermarket, along on the pala-u road mate.......  160 a bottle and not even dusty

message me if you need better directions

16 hours ago, Ganoga said:

Please tell me where you can get Similan Rum. I like it. But its sold out here in hua hin. Im near chiang mai now....anybody know where i can pick some up?

would be tricky for me to try and explain the mom-pop shops that sell it....if open, Rudy who owns Gekko garden sells the sets..small or large bottle-2 mixers--ice and can keep the bottle there or take it home

Im trying to get back to cm--so not sure if bars open..if really want it I can try to get u to the "shops"..

23 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

The mom and pop shop I buy the Similan from here in Chiang Mai have got cases of it. I have not seen it anywhere else. Would hate to find out how long it has been in stock, just as well I am not fussy.

Will give the blue label a go, thanks for the tip. Cheers

rumors they get it from some warehouse in lamphun....note the boxes are usually dusty---look at paper label over top of the screw cap or inside the bottle on back of label--the "date" is usually 14 yrs old ????

If they have similan they should have the "premium blue label".....best quality ive found for SS choices...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

would be tricky for me to try and explain the mom-pop shops that sell it....if open, Rudy who owns Gekko garden sells the sets..small or large bottle-2 mixers--ice and can keep the bottle there or take it home

Im trying to get back to cm--so not sure if bars open..if really want it I can try to get u to the "shops"..

I did PM the location of the shop I use south of the moat to Ganoga. Checked the back of the label on one bottle. The date is 2544. By my reckoning that makes them 20 years old. Vintage as well as a bargain. Will definitely try the Blue Label next time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I did PM the location of the shop I use south of the moat to Ganoga. Checked the back of the label on one bottle. The date is 2544. By my reckoning that makes them 20 years old. Vintage as well as a bargain. Will definitely try the Blue Label next time.

Win Win...if one goes down wulai rd to kad kom market--very local there is a shop just past the 7-11 that sell SS varieties..main rd..kad kom behind it.....