Pattaya: Mayor announces that City Hall have applied for 100,000 doses of Sinopharm from Chulabhorn Royal Academy

webfact

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager

Manager reported that Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunplome was the latest local official to take advantage of rule changes that will allow local authorities to procure their own Covid-19 vaccines from sources like the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation and the Chulabhorn Royal Academy. 

Sontaya is spending 88 million baht on 100,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine for 50,000 people on house registration documents to receive two doses. 

Each dose is costing the administration 888 baht.

Pattaya's move follows one by Tha Yang district in Phetchaburi the day before. 

2pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

There are 120,000 people in Pattaya on "thabian ban" or house registration documents. 

Of those there are about 80,000 aged 19 and over. 

Some of these have already been vaccinated by other means so it is hoped that the 100,000 doses will help to created a herd immunity in the tourist city. 

Sontaya said that the purchase request has already been submitted to Chulabhorn Royal Academy who earlier suggested they have themselves procured over three million doses of vaccine. 

The change for Pattaya comes as the government's vaccine rollout continues to stutter after Astra Zeneca from local producer Siam BioScience failed to come through with expected supplies. 

Manager went with "Here Comes Pattaya!" in their headline.

• Sad 1

Dear Mr Mayor. Congratulations on buying the worlds least effective vaccine for your Thai residents. Your country and yourself continue to ignore the long term visa holders that support the economy by simply staying here. When you have a good vaccine available, please know that all of us would like to take that. If I were offered the Chinese vaccine, I and many of my friends here will simply say 'no thanks'. Is there another way to say what I've said to you that has more impact? Unlikely. Also unlikely that you'll ever see this post. But for the record, I had hoped you cared more about the people in this city that to offer them a bad vaccine created by the same people that brought the Covid-19 Virus to your country.

Last minute panic buying as the cut off date for placing orders is tomorrow. Good work, nonetheless.

Sinopharm was WHO approved before Sinovac so it may not be as bad as some make out. I would take it, for sure. Expats may have the chance to buy a jab if the mayor is looking to recoup his outlay.

Doesn't he know 2 or 3 jabs of Wufluvax are needed to get anywhere near 80pc efficacy so he needs 360k not 100k. Perhaps he knows how many on House Books don't actually live here? Maybe a few left over for vulnerable expats?

I'm confused.

I saw two stories saying this CRA initiative was shut down, and will only be operating until such time as the initial vax stock is done, then it would shut down!

As is often the case, no explanation given, which is all the explanation savvy Thai observers need!

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Dear Mr Mayor. Congratulations on buying the worlds least effective vaccine for your Thai residents. Your country and yourself continue to ignore the long term visa holders that support the economy by simply staying here. When you have a good vaccine available, please know that all of us would like to take that. If I were offered the Chinese vaccine, I and many of my friends here will simply say 'no thanks'. Is there another way to say what I've said to you that has more impact? Unlikely. Also unlikely that you'll ever see this post. But for the record, I had hoped you cared more about the people in this city that to offer them a bad vaccine created by the same people that brought the Covid-19 Virus to your country.

This is Sinopharm not Sinovac, Sinopharm is about 73% efficacy. Yes still not 90+% of the western vaccines, but better than 50% of Sinovac.  I know someone who had the Sinopharm and still contracted Covid, but very mild and was not hospitalised, sort of like a mild cold he said. So is effective at keeping people out of hospital/dying, just not as effective as others. Sinopharm is also the most expensive vaccine to buy of all of them.

Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Emdog said:

Any of that for expat residents? Silly question....

Save your breath... as for me I'm not in Pattaya or any of the other resort areas, and I'm not rushing to get an injection of Sino-anything.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Litlos said:

This is Sinopharm not Sinovac, Sinopharm is about 73% efficacy. Yes still not 90+% of the western vaccines, but better than 50% of Sinovac.  I know someone who had the Sinopharm and still contracted Covid, but very mild and was not hospitalised, sort of like a mild cold he said. So is effective at keeping people out of hospital/dying, just not as effective as others. Sinopharm is also the most expensive vaccine to buy of all of them.

Cheers

why do people keep mentioning people got vaccinated and still got covid? You can still get covid after having any vaccine