Cholesterol reducing drugs

Inderpland

I've been on cholesterol reducing drugs for years and the imported type the doctor put me on is quite expensive. I know there are generic versions of this type of drugs being sold in pharmacies that are quite cheap so my question is does anyone here have any knowledge of their efficacy and safety?

Lipitor will be the most expensive.

Several generics available.  I have tried several I take 10 mg.  They all seem to be about the same

my numbers are consistent for the past few years.

Currently using Sandoz brand which is one of the largest generic drug manufacturers in the world.  About 1/3 the cost of Lipitor from what I remember.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

I have been using Livalo 2mg for the past six months. This is what my doctor at Bumrungrad told me to use. I purchased at my local pharmacy in Asoke.  30 tablets were 769 baht.  Im not sure if that is a good price or not.

Edited by swm59nj
removed a sentence

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Niacin (nicotinic acid) can be used to control cholesterol.  Can be ordered from endur.com at about USD 80 for a year's supply.

Not a good idea for most from my reading - that is very old method and not considered safe - many bad side effects and dangers and my mother experienced them.  

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-niacin-be-harmful-to-control-cholesterol/

https://www.livescience.com/46839-dangers-of-niacin.html

38 minutes ago, mahtin said:

Thought the cholesterol myth had been debunked.

An important hint.

Before simply continuing or even changing medication I suggest to have a blood test for the liver function and let a doctor decide what is necessary or not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

An important hint.

Before simply continuing or even changing medication I suggest to have a blood test for the liver function and let a doctor decide what is necessary or not.

Excellent point. Before I was put on Livalo I was on another brand.  Doctor took a blood test before deciding to change it.

1 hour ago, Inderpland said:

I'm using 20 mg Lipitor tables.

I have found that the drugs here are expensive when compared to back home, and my research led me to a pharmacy in Korat that is the cheapest, if you need details if you can't find them, PM me and I will pass on the details, usually next day delivery for about 35 baht, depending on where your at.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not a good idea for most from my reading - that is very old method and not considered safe - many bad side effects and dangers and my mother experienced them.  

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can-niacin-be-harmful-to-control-cholesterol/

https://www.livescience.com/46839-dangers-of-niacin.html

The worst pain I have ever experienced was muscular pain that was a side effect of lipitor and it persisted for years even after stopping. Turns out that while the risk of myopathy among lipitor users is 15% if you are exercising a lot that risk goes up to 75%.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The worst pain I have ever experienced was muscular pain that was a side effect of lipitor and it persisted for years even after stopping. Turns out that while the risk of myopathy among lipitor users is 15% if you are exercising a lot that risk goes up to 75%.  

Then stop exercising!   LOL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Inderpland said:

Taking a blood test before changing statins is probably a good idea. Are any of the variants mentioned in this thread considered more "liver friendly" than others?

No, but the liger effects are dose related. Low dose statin is usually OK in mild liver disease.

consider to scrap statins. too many bad long term side effects documented. just reduce LDL “ bad” cholesterol to  elow the 130 figure by diet/exercise. 

some people (like me) born producing high cholesterol. good HDL and bad LDL. body adjusts amd copes wothout drugs. High Cholesterol in itself is not dangerous. only when combined with bad diet and little exercise or smoking / drinking ( never for me anyway).

Im 65, quite active physically throughout my life and living proof of no danger with diagnosed near zero risk of heart attack or stoke ( multiple CAT / MRI Heart / Brain Scans). Fit as a Fiddle with NEVER any drugs of any kind...

I take 20 mg of Pravastatin and eztimbe every evening.   Dr. Duane Graveline (Space Doc), the author of "Lipitor: Thief of Memory" recommended a low-dose statin to reduce blood vessel irritation.  I think that his web site Spacedoc.com is still up.  It has a wealth of information.

most GP’s havent a clue......memo says prescribe statins for high chloresterol blood test results so thats only what they do often without advising risks ( side effects).

they know really little about nutrition and refuse to accept the known power of the mind / body  in healing the body when combined with right eating & exercise,they just hand out pills and surgery because body can only be fixed by outside intervention.

15 years ago had some barmy middle eastern “doctor” (assigned by my employer) hysterically telling me I’m “lucky to be alive” and must take statins “for the rest of my life”.... threw them in the bin outside after leaving....... GP also said i have “a defective heart” ( many ECG saying opposite & quite active).

assume anybody recommending statins in writing, without warning about side effects, has a vested monetary interest with no care for your health

• 2 weeks later...