New Debit Card from UK Bank.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to let us know. Halifax Bank have the same concerns and suggested the same method. Santander say they have no issues posting replacement cards to Thailand. However, they only accept notification of addresses abroad via hard copy (download a form from their website, fill it in and post it to them in Bradford with proof of ID and abroad address).

I've just done something very similar to OP in the last few days and in the past. Changed to a UK address temporarily, had a new card posted to that address for forwarding (or bringing in person if someone was coming to Thailand) then, via online banking with Natwest, I've frozen my new debit card only and will cancel the freeze when it's in my hands after posting from UK. Can then revert to my usual Thai address. All other aspects of the accounts remain the same as ever.

Photos of cards are fine but not much use in card readers.

@from the home of CC - you're correct of course. If posting to an untrusted overseas country, they could automatically freeze a card and have it activated on receipt. In fact that's what my bank did in the past, until a year or two ago, but their policy changed. Like you, I've never had a new card go astray.

1 minute ago, Disparate Dan said:

It's a neat solution as long as you trust the person holding the card itself!

And no problems with activating the card?

Yes you need someone you trust either way, once I've got a photo of the card I get them to scratch the 3 digit security code on the back off. Ive had 2 new cards recently and they didn't need activating hence why posting is a risk

I just received my new Natwest International debit card about a week ago. They didn't seem to have any problem mailing it to me in Thailand (it did come via recorded delivery).

I had to call them and go through the normal security procedures for my phone banking, for them to activate the card and unfreeze my online banking account.

I had my NatWest MasterCard ( unfortunately they have stopped issuing Visa credit but still have Visa Debit ) sent from my daughters address.

In the NatWest banking app I could freeze the card and unfreeze it when it arrived.

A very practical service, especially in the case of theft or loss .

With my bank I have my residence address as Thailand and correspondence address as my Fathers house in UK. He sends cards on by registered mail. No need to change addresses back and forth. Don't bother freezing account as I know when it gets posted and I get notifications of any activity on the card on my phone.

Lost my Lufthansa Miles & More credit card last year. I had it blocked and asked if they could send me a new card with courier fees charged to my account. DKB Bank (the issuer) couriered me a replacement card from Germany to Thailand. The bank absorbed the DHL fee. 

It helps to have been Internet banking on your phone. No problem paying bills or sending money to an account here in a Thai bank. My pass code key from the bank stopped working so my phone now,can generate a pass code itself. Big improvement

I bank with HSBC back home so to say and they have not sent a card over here for years. I get it sent over by a third party.. 

The banks and credit card companies all have different policies, some have sent to me by courier. Mostly I leave my address registered at a family member because some banks are closing the accounts of people they know are living overseas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just get a photo of my cards, don't bother with getting them sent here

me too

I get a photo of the front of the card, and ask my friend to call me with the last 3 digits.

I find that if you do Internet banking and activate fingerprint id on your device ,even if the transaction is large (I recently sent 500k baht) they send a verification to the app which you confirm with your fingerprint. Never had to use the card reader - all I need is the information off the card,most of which is securely stored on my device.

HSBC UK are okay with my having an account and a non-UK address, probably as I've had the account for 30+ years, although a couple of years ago I had to get a Thai lawyer to sign some papers relating to it and confirming my Thai address when, I think, they were ring-fencing accounts. They also send my ATM card to Thailand.

Barclaycard Visa will not, however, and I have it sent to my sister in the UK and she sends it on. I believe they have her address registered to the account - I'll have to check that - but when I purchase my Thai address is accepted.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

HSBC UK are okay with my having an account and a non-UK address, probably as I've had the account for 30+ years, although a couple of years ago I had to get a Thai lawyer to sign some papers relating to it and confirming my Thai address when, I think, they were ring-fencing accounts. They also send my ATM card to Thailand.

Barclaycard Visa will not, however, and I have it sent to my sister in the UK and she sends it on. I believe they have her address registered to the account - I'll have to check that - but when I purchase my Thai address is accepted.

Just received my new Barclays debit card mailed to my address in Bangkok. Now in use with no problems.

Had not received my HSBC Debit Card as current one had expired.  Emailed (internal HSBC mail) and told them the issue, but not to rush as I had cash in my Thai Bank Account.  They replied a few days later, on the same day that the Card arrived, so told them not to investigate any further as the problem was now solved.  It would appear that sometimes, mail can be held up when it reaches Thailand.  As for a UK Bank refusing to send a Debit Card to Thailand, because of security I believe is just being down right unhelpful and inefficient.  I wonder if it is only Thailand they have security  concerns about.  What a lovely xenophobic Bank?

16 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I just received my new Natwest International debit card about a week ago. They didn't seem to have any problem mailing it to me in Thailand (it did come via recorded delivery).

I had to call them and go through the normal security procedures for my phone banking, for them to activate the card and unfreeze my online banking account.

Many people recently reporting their banks are closing their accounts if they have a foreign address or telephone number, personally i would avoid that

• Like 1