Updating to Apple iOS 13.4

chicowoodduck

Well, those folks at Apple are no dummies....when I tried to update my iPad Air to the new iOS 13.4 system was told my Apple product is too old.....need to purchase a new iPad that will run the 13.4 and beyond system.....not sure if the Apple store guy was blowing smoke up my <deleted>, but from the looks of it, he might be right? ????????????

Guess I might have to add to my iPad and laptop collection....darn! ????????

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

Well, those folks at Apple are no dummies....when I tried to update my iPad Air to the new iOS 13.4 system was told my Apple product is too old.....need to purchase a new iPad that will run the 13.4 and beyond system.....not sure if the Apple store guy was blowing smoke up my <deleted>, but from the looks of it, he might be right? ????????????

The current iOS is at 14.6 not 13.4 Your iPad has to be over 9 years old depending on you bought it can run 12.5 and is certainly still usable, one of mine is running iOS 9.3.6, is over 10 years old and still usable for some tasks. 

SWMBOs iPad Air is on 12.5 and she uses it daily, it is not able to run some programs but every thing she wants to do is no problem. 

If it is the original iPad Air that was released in 2013, the newest iOS it can run is version 12. iOS version 13 will run on the iPad Air 2 that was released about a year later. If you have the earlier version, the person at the Apple store is correct.

If I get five or six years use out of an iPad before it either quits or can't run the newer apps, I'm satisfied. It would be nice if they would last ten years, but technology moves forward too quickly for that.

I have an iPad from 2011 running iOS 6.1.3 and have re-purposed it as a bedside clock and streaming device. It works just fine in that capacity.

2 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

iOS version 13 will run on the iPad Air 2 that was released about a year later.

The iPad Air 2 will run iOS 14. The only way you could have an iPad Air 2 running iOS 13 is if you buy a used one that has been updated to iOS 13 but hasn’t been updated recently. 

You can not install an intermediate  iOS version on a device that will accept a newer one, unless you have hacking skills not normal available. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

You'll find that some apps won't run on old ios  !  2 of my banks would only accept ios 14 +

Sad cause I  had a 5s for almost 7 years  ! That model wasn't getting updates anymore after 12.4 I believe !

I had to buy a 2020 SE

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The iPad Air 2 will run iOS 14. The only way you could have an iPad Air 2 running iOS 13 is if you buy a used one that has been updated to iOS 13 but hasn’t been updated recently. 

You can not install an intermediate  iOS version on a device that will accept a newer one, unless you have hacking skills not normal available. 

You're correct. Thank you for clarifying.