Windows 11

Beachcomber

can you list some hints of (safe) site names pls? 

Googling Windows11download comes up some similarly alike looking pages, but trying not to delve in any Trial environments at the risk of losing what I still have...

- in my orphaned Windows 7 world, my telescope only focuses on MajorGeeks.com ????  It is the only place I feel safe after being dumped 

• Like 1

This is apparently a leaked version from MS. Even if it wasn't only available through the regular torrent sites, I would advise running this either on a virtual platform or a spare computer; definitely not your go-to machine.

Looking at some reviews, this "restricted" release has mostly UI changes/improvements that would change it from the latest W10 21H1 version. There are more changes to come before release.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

This is apparently a leaked version from MS. Even if it wasn't only available through the regular torrent sites, I would advise running this either on a virtual platform or a spare computer; definitely not your go-to machine.

What he said .......

I received daily messages from Microsoft inviting me to the lunch of the new windows.... everyday deleted the damn messages, better look at it in detail when the next one arrives, but I shouldn't be the only one receiving such messages, quite sure anybody running a legal copy of windows 10 may have received similar messages, even Edge advertises it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, katana said:

This was after Microsoft told us Win 10 was their last ever version to be released.

There is no money to be made in that.  I was always very skeptical of the Win10 forever idea. I figured the bean counters would try get that changed eventually.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

There is no money to be made in that.  I was always very skeptical of the Win10 forever idea. I figured the bean counters would try get that changed eventually.

I have a feeling that Windows 11 (if that is indeed what they call it) will roll out like Win 10; free upgrades to previous operating systems. Even though the 'leaked' version is marked as Dev, some people have already upgraded W7 to W11 from the ISO.

The official announcement is on the 24th June (this Thursday), so they should have something to say then. They have already marked Windows 10 end of support as October 2025, so something is going to happen.

Just as a note, I downloaded the ISO last night and have installed it in VMWare without a problem. Even got it activated and setup with a local account instead of the MS account they want you to use for login. The only thing that I see that is affected by the local account is that you can't use the wigets button on the taskbar (I just unpinned it), but there are probably more functions that need the MS sign-on to run. Installed all my usual software (Office 2019, Foxit Phantom, CorelDraw, etc) to confirm they would install and activate; no problems at all.

Regarding VMWare, when installing, if anyone is planning to do this, for operating type use Windows 10 x64, that works. There is obviously no W11 to chose, and I'm not sure if selecting Other would work.

In all honesty, I'm pretty sure this (very early) release is still on W10 code and is only showing the new planned UI. Based on this experience, I won't be upgrading for quite a while, probably September 2025 just before the end of support on W10.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 10:36 PM, chrisinth said:

Even got it activated and setup with a local account instead of the MS account they want you to use for login.

A lot of negative comments about supposedly having to have the MS account - similar to Google and Android and look you can run android apps on 11............

Some interesting comments attached to the article here -

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/24/microsoft_windows_11/

36 minutes ago, bendejo said:

For many there is no need to be concerned, Win11 may not run on your system anyway. 

https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Or use the link on this page

Well, my i7 didn't pass the test, looks like I'll become a full-time Linux user after all.

I am on Bios, not uefi, so it doesn't work 

there are 4 years yet with windows 10, but it's a bad surprise 

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

For many there is no need to be concerned, Win11 may not run on your system anyway. 

Well, my i7 didn't pass the test, looks like I'll become a full-time Linux user after all.

My pc did not pass the test as well.

I think it would be possible to run windows 11 somehow on my pc in future, the fact that MS and Dell have basically excluded a lot of pc processors before gen 8 (about 2017) from the supported list, I will in future also move full time to linux.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, katana said:

Some users are reporting getting around install problems on older hardware by enabling TPM in the BIOS.

Yes, my Dell has TPM disabled in the BIOS by default, but it's TPM 1.2 and it seems mine is too old to update to 2.0. Laptop is a Precision M4800 bought in 2014. So will stay with Win10 until 2025.

Yeah, "time to buy a new computer" is the first message it sends.  Bear in mind that MS is now selling computers, which is a relatively new thing: I don't pay much attention to these things any more, but as late as 1999 MS sold only a few hw gadgets, like mouse/trackball, and those were OEM. 

And there is also the chance that after the rollout, if the numbers are less than expected and the bloodletting in the arena of social media is overwhelming, they might just back down and release a version more compatible with older hw.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, katana said:

Some users are reporting getting around install problems on older hardware by enabling TPM in the BIOS.

I run Win 10 in Bootcamp on my Macbook Air all of the time, so hence Win 11 will not run owing to no normal BIOS to allow TPM enabling

On 6/26/2021 at 2:33 AM, bendejo said:

I would take the results of that app with a pinch of salt. I just ran it and it said my 3 year old PC doesn't support secure boot, which is nonsense.

5 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I would take the results of that app with a pinch of salt. I just ran it and it said my 3 year old PC doesn't support secure boot, which is nonsense.

my 3 year old Dell Inspiron said it's ok, the surprise it took less then 20 seconds to run the test..... how reliable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

<Snip>

And I expect the Win 11 readiness/heath test only list "one" reason a PC does not pass the Win 11 readiness test even if the PC has more than one reason like the CPU "and" not having a TPM/Secure Boot capability.  I expect if my 4 year old did have a Win 11 supported CPU the readiness test would have then said if fails due to lack of TPM/Secure Boot.

</Snip>

I agree with you @Pib. My PC has an Intel i5 CPU, but that wasn't listed, just the lack of tpm/secure boot which is currently disabled in the bios.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:36 PM, chrisinth said:

Even got it activated and setup with a local account instead of the MS account they want you to use for login. The only thing that I see that is affected by the local account is that you can't use the wigets button on the taskbar (I just unpinned it), but there are probably more functions that need the MS sign-on to run.

Thanks for that.  I was wondering.