The true cost of paradise.

I agree you should not live in Thailand without health insurance, but covering both my wife and I with high deductible insurance is less than $100 a month for us. This is US Based Blue Cross insurance and it does work in Thailand for emergencies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, josthomz said:

Is that not the same as smokers when they are perfectly healthy ("Sooner or later I will die anyway") VS when they get diagnosed with cancer ("Argh, fuc***ing tobbaco, I can't believe am dying shoulda quit earlier")...

Not really.  I think with smokers it's complete bravado and untrue while being far from the time that they will see any ill effects from smoking, whereas with an elderly retiree they're a lot closer to the event in question and a little more serious.

8 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Perhaps $250 month. Recently competitively quoted $3,000 annual Health Policy from Thai Reputable Broker / Company providing mid- level benefits like 3 million baht cover per case, with no deducts. 

3 million baht coverage is like nothing and for 250 dollars a month very very expensive too. If you would get something serious you end up in the better hospitals most times for treatment, 3M wouldn't even get you start to finish. 250K USD coverage would be minimum reasonable.

Anyway, it seems many of the people with this problem also did not prepare there general cashflow that well, neither have a very proper retirement with exceptions left and right. 

My insurance keeps you in for a lifetime if you pay a bit more from scratch at least, now I am only paying around 80 dollars a month and get covered for 500K euro. Lucky to not be old yet I guess. I'd not wanna be old with less than 300-500K USD in the first place though, better to stay home then.

And in terms of what the OP says, Thailand isn't cheap at all unless it are shorter stays, as an expat I am spending as much here as I do in Europe in a small family setup. The only benefit is I could change to 'thai survival mode' and then live quite a while, as long it lasts basically, on much less than in Europe.

I guess the latter is what many people seem to do here, and then eventually a big bump in the road ends it. Might also explain why most don't make it after 3-4 years in Thailand average.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

my post said “competitive” quote,  age 65, starting from scratch etc. (had five other quotes).

so “very very expensive” it clearly is not. for the circumstances it is “best market value” here.

gets complicated because many guys have good medical policies linked to their pensions

(having paid an average 50% Income / Other Govt. Tax for 45 years; not for me......)

your figures are only possible perhaps from massive employer (US govt. perhaps) subsidy or starting policy around early 20’s ( or both) so well done but you’ve likely already paid out what $50k in subsidized premiums plus what $1 mill. + in Govt. Taxes ?  not comparable to my relevant thai-based commercial non -subsidized example at all.

you also ignore the Free Health Care which we enjoy in Western Europe but which you clearly do not have or need, in USA I guess.......

and having $500k savings + great pension, will not save anyone for long if they have grossly abused their body and (statistically) start contracting cancers / dementia / heart & lung diseases......

maintaining strong preventative healthy conditioning is all important, esp. towards the end of life.......

otherwise start planning to hand over all your hard earned wealth to multiple ungrateful relatives......

Interesting post and I also have had several friends report in with severe physical ailments in the last few months... 

Of course every person's ailments and finances are different... and health insurance [or not] is just one piece of the puzzle. What would be the difference in quality of life in the home country on the same amt of funds? I can see how a younger retiree might not want to exchange a Thai lifestyle for a cold, clammy, lonely existence in the West... some are enjoying life more than they ever had... 

unfortunately, we cannot know our future... 

• Like 1

My health insurance is my biggest single cost living in Thailand- so yes, it's a major consideration when planning to live here.

My property, car and motorcycle are paid for, I have no debt, and the Mrs is very cost effective - so insurance is easily my biggest cost.

With MTL I have a fixed annual cost until I'm 90, but don't plan on living that long.

Though I think I'm healthier living than in my home country, where the sun only shines for 3 days a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

They are almost to a man grossly overweight, heavy drinkers / smokers with bad diet, no exercise and no medical checks

No pity for those who during the course of their lives cared so little for their own health to get themselves in such a state.

And now cry because they can't afford medical insurance ?

Sit down and total up what they spent on booze and cigs for the past 20 years and they could have gold plated world class health insurance with hot and cold running nurses.

Dance to the Music - Pay the Piper

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You'd need to say what was wrong with him before I could comment.

If he has cancer why bother with treatment?

If it was an ingrowing toe nail, he's been overcharged.

It's unwise to give hospitals a blank check, because they'll cut you and start pulling parts out, even if it isn't really needed or cost effective.

First time bad case of Pneumonia, mistaken at the public hospital as a flu.

Second time breathing problems worsened, stent required due to narrowing of an artery.

1.6 + 1. =2.6 mil

Age 60 which is still young in my opinion.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Yes my health is my only worry in Thailand.

I have a UK policy for 6 years now with £325k (Baht 14 million) cover, premium £1200PA. I could take one big hit self insured if they refuse a claim, and I got the Roojai Covid-only insurance, but I still think I am at risk.

My UK policy was due up to a 50% hike as I turned 66 in Feb, so I emailed them for a quote to see if I should be looking around. To my absolute surprise they wrote to me offering the same price for one more year (no increase) due to my loyalty and no claim situation, even changing their mind about cover for my pre-existing conditions and Covid.

So if my UK policy doesn't pay, Roojai cover proves useless and I run out of savings there's always a Go Fund Me as a last resort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Pneumonia is an odd one, usually reserved for those already dying of something else, old age, AIDs, etc.

I did mention he was 60, that isn't old, and lets not forget, 45,000 cases of death recorded in Thailand in 2018 from Influenza and Pneumonia.

I will say that's 123 deaths per day, and they are recording 20-30-40 cases a day from Covid, well what can I say, I got my jab on both, but not on the experimental vaccines as this jury is out.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, swissie said:

Conclusion: Add US$ 500 to your monthly expenses (health-insurance). An then I will be willing to discuss the matter of "cheap-living" in Thailand once more. Equipped with my pocket calculator. Wanting to calculate "the true cost of "paradise".
Cheers.

Many cannot get health insurance because of age.

Stay healthy and take care of oneself is the only thing to do.

My 4 monthly check ups have been good for me and doc is happy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I did mention he was 60, that isn't old, and lets not forget, 45,000 cases of death recorded in Thailand in 2018 from Influenza and Pneumonia.

Which makes Pneumonia odd ......... my pal had Pneumonia age 58, medically shipped back to the UK and promptly diagnosed as having AIDs. Yes, 45k deaths is probably includes a lot of AIDs victims.

Did they give your pal an HIV test?

It's only 250bht.

Edited by BritManToo