Time to buy a new Fridge Freezer – But what type – Any advice Please

Bill Poster

Well my old fridge freezer is on its last legs and I’m sure any day now its going to finally stop working.

Ive had a look around some stores and the choice is large. I was wondering if the technology has moved on and now there’s some better options to look for . Basically I’m looking for a free standing fridge freezer ( freezer compartment on top ) , but I'm not sure about some of the other options I've already seen like , auto defrosting / cold drinks dispenser / Energy Star / built in water filters /  Ice dispenser – maker / quick freezing / Inverter cooling / dual fan cooling / door open alarm /digital display Etc.

As the new fridge freezer should be around for a long time to come I really want to make sure that I get things right when I buy a new one . 

Just wondering if any one has a fridge freeze with any of the above options and can comment or make any recommendations / advice .

Thanks ????

• Haha 1

Two years ago in the US I bought a side by side. Big mistake. I hate it. the freezer side is very inconvenient and everything falls out when treeing to look for things.

Don't get one of those. 

Here in Thailand, about three years ago, we purchased a Sharp with the freezer on the bottom and French door . Love it! Looking for the things you use most of the time, is easy and you don't have to bend down. The freezer part has four draws, so I can divide frozen things by category. and when looking for something , look at the appropriate draw.

Easy to rummage through as I like to buy things when I find good deals, vacuum seal them, and freeze them. 

So far so good with the Sharp. I had an issue not able to restart it after I wad unplug it for two years , we called  Sharp. and even though by then it was out of warranty, after explaining that we were stuck  out of the country for the past two years , they send someone out with in a day and reset it for us free of charge,

We were so grateful, we gave the team a good tip.????  

• Like 2

I got a Panasonic and love it. Over 500 litres. I think Japanese made. I particularly like the huge pull out freezer drawer at the bottom. Well designed and great use of space. I bought mine from Powerbuy always have clearance specials huge discounts too

17 minutes ago, Denim said:

I'd go for an inverter since a fridge is the only household item that is switched on 24 hours a day all year. 

My router, alarm/CCTV  system and water pumps are also and I consider that they are household items

• Like 1

Small sample size, but we've had good luck with Samsung....A family of 4, with 3 gals cooking, so one of us is usually rummaging through it....

I chose the one with that I thought had the most user friendly access & storage....

• Like 1

we bought a samsung side by side (inverter) fridge/freezer a few years ago, its great with plenty of room on both sides, in the new house we got am electrolux side by side(inverter), looks good but the freezer side tends to frost things up and it is not as easy to use as the Samsung, might have to swap them over as we stay in the new house all the time and our daughter uses the other house when she has time off from the hospital.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, Denim said:

I'd go for an inverter since a fridge is the only household item that is switched on 24 hours a day all year. 

Yes definitely inverter. No more click/bang every time the motor stops/starts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Can you please tell me the brand and model ????

It's an LG. Sorry. I cant give you much on the model no. As most of the sticker is missing. 

Model: GC-R20 is all that's left. I don't think thety still make this model. But look here for similar:

https://www.lg.com/th/side-by-side-refrigerator

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1