Phuket Sandbox Visa durations of stay querie

Hi All

So after spending sooo much time looking through sooo much information that at times contradicts and changes etc, my question is one that is very simple, one would think!

With Phuket (I'll use the term allowing people to travel in rather than 'opening up') changing from July 1st with the Sandbox trialling... I can fly in from the UK with a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) but my question is do we think things will be like they used to be... ie get a SETV for 60 days, extend for 30 days then repeat with a Visa run or leave the country to re enter etc?

If I am fortunate enough to be able to get through all the bureaucracy and red tape and actually get to Phuket, then as a minimum I'll be happy to spend 90 days there, revisit some beautiful places and then review the situation.

But again my question is does anybody know whether this will be sustainable moving forward? The whole 60 days SETV, 30 day extension and visa run, given the C situation but also that Thailand is hoping for tourism.

I'd appreciate factual responses rather than hunches please as I'm in the trenches here trying to progress matters!

Cheers!

Nobody can not tell how viable plan it is to make "visarun" after your 60 + 30 days are done. It depends on covid situation then..

However i  would not worry about that,, If borderruns are not possible, some other options are like covidextension, ed, agent route etc..

Edited by thaitero
  • Like 1

Somewhat on the same note as the OP, I plan on flying from the US to Phuket early July (hopefully the sandbox plan is finalized next week and there's some clarity). I am going to Phuket with the goal of staying in Koh Phangan for a few months after Phuket quarantine, whether the sandbox plan or the 14 day quarantine stays in place.

Does anyone know if you can go with the visa exempt and during the current 45 days allowed, apply for a 90-day tourism visa while there or do you need to do the  visa before entering the country?

And somewhat within the same context, for quarantine guidelines, does Thailand accept the 1 dose J&J vaccine as one of the vaccines approved for the not finalized sandbox plan? ...to be considered as a "vaccinated tourist."

Any help is appreciated!

59 minutes ago, rpearl said:

Does anyone know if you can go with the visa exempt and during the current 45 days allowed, apply for a 90-day tourism visa while there or do you need to do the  visa before entering the country?

You cannot apply for a tourist visa that allows one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days while in the country.

At this time there is 60 day covid 19 extension available until the end of July but I am sure the order for them will be extended again.

1 hour ago, rpearl said:

Entering VE you can apply for a 30 day extension, OR a 60 day Covid extension for as long as they are available. (Currently until the end of July, but almost certainly will be extended until end of September).

For a longer stay you can apply for the Non O (90 days) as a prelude to applying for an annual extension based on retirement. You would need to meet the financial requirements for this option. (Must be 50+ years of age).

J&J vaccine is approved by Thailand's FDA, so no problem there.

• Like 1

Just guessing here, but as I understand.. Visa rules and sandbox has nothing to do with each other. Embassies are happy to give you a visa whatever visa that may be..If you are able to use it due to coe s and other rules is your gambling. This means that all is and always have been normal concerning that. If you can go to KL or to Myanmar or to singapore.. They dont care about that as long as you follow procedure that changes every 2 hours.

• Like 1

So, let's think about all the other ASQ hotels in Thailand. If you are an owner of these hotels would you be happy with the Phuket sandbox scheme if everybody will use the scheme to enter Thailand?  There would then be no need for ASQ hotels anywhere else because people will be free to travel anywhere in the country after 14 days in Phuket after being covid clear, which is the same stipulation as any of the ASQ hotels which would not be required anymore in the rest of the country. If you were one of these hotel owners I think you would be concerned about this as you would no longer be needed. Two weeks in the open and on the beaches of Phuket or two weeks stuck in a hotel room!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking into this daily, again travelling from the UK to Phuket and it's bizarre with the Standard Tourist Visa, arrival needs to happen by the 2nd of July in order to be able to extend it by the 30th September (you can arrive by 30th June but won't be permitted to extend it) for a further 90 days, so effectively giving me a full 6 months visa in total which I'd be happy to get as things will change for the better or the worse within that timeframe BUT direct flights to Phuket which is required don't commence until the 3rd of July! 

Unfortunately there is sooo much, not only contradictory info out there but also things implemented which go against each other, such as the tourist visa being in place from September last year when nobody could fly there and now with the sandbox supposedly opening things up, the Thai government are ending this visa...

Guess i'd forgotten about the whole flip flop mentality in Thailand as a whole really... Anyway I'm positively daily looking into all this trying to progress matters!????

Please do post any relevant info guys and have an awesome day... Wherever you are based!????

I should add for informative purposes for anybody considering the Standard Tourist Visa, that it stipulates you need to provide document proof that also shows payment of your entire 90 day accommodation for that visa duration.

12 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Standard Tourist Visa,

Most would know that your referring to Special Tourist Visa (STV). 

Skip the standard.

IMO you should have considered tourist visa or visa exempt entry then after 30 day extension move to 60 day covid extensions. 

In any event nothing is official yet.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Please do post any relevant info guys and have an awesome day... Wherever you are based!????

If your considering the STV (Special Tourist Visa) then to take advantage of being able to obtain a further 90 day extension before the deadline of Sept 30th, you need to enter before July 3rd, so you'd have to go the ASQ route to get 6 months stay.

You'd need to start acting fairly quick in that case.

If your preference is the Phuket Sandbox ASH+ hotels scheme, then enter with the normal Tourist Visa (60 days) + 30 day extension, say mid July, that will take you to mid Oct. From there it depends if the 60 day Covid extensions are still being issued, but I'd guess the odds are 60/40 in your favour.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Most would know that your referring to Special Tourist Visa (STV). 

Skip the standard.

IMO you should have considered tourist visa or visa exempt entry then after 30 day extension move to 60 day covid extensions. 

In any event nothing is official yet.

We're all built and think differently ????  and whilst some would know I was referring to the STV, not everybody would and I prefer to not be like a dog in a washing machine going round and around having to repeat info and rather be meticulously clear etc.????

I'm considering all possible visas and not locked into any of them right now as everything is changing and not confirmed as you've mentioned. The STV might not be viable, I simply like that it's a 3/ 6 month visa but it's not without it's complications as I've stated regarding when direct flights commence.

I've only just found info about the covid 60 day extension, thanks for mentioning that, but thinking it was in place for ex pats etc who were maybe unable to leave so I'm not sure if that will still be in place when people are permitted to fly in and out etc.

I can fly in visa exempt but it's stated that you can only extend once for a further 30 days and to be fair as we all know with Thailand, everything shifts and I don't think I'll be fully aware of available extensions and timeframes until arrived but it is kinda' looking like the SETV right now because of the flight commencing issue, the only positive from that is that I won't be locked into 3 months or 6 months OR I get the STV for a 3 month period but there might be issues getting an extension on that as it's not renewed after 30th September.

Another question or variant I suppose is, from my time of visa runs there, you could essentially go the week before the expiry and you'd lose the remaining days on said visa (ie due to expire say 24th Jan, but got the extension of 60days that commenced when went on the 18th Jan etc) I wondering whether I could get a STV and apply for the extension say the week before it expires and then it would extend for a further 3 months or whether they'd have the locked in mentality of current STV won't expire until say 3rd October and therefore can't renew as will run past the cut off date of 30th September etc!?

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If your considering the STV (Special Tourist Visa) then to take advantage of being able to obtain a further 90 day extension before the deadline of Sept 30th, you need to enter before July 3rd, so you'd have to go the ASQ route to get 6 months stay.

You'd need to start acting fairly quick in that case.

If your preference is the Phuket Sandbox ASH+ hotels scheme, then enter with the normal Tourist Visa (60 days) + 30 day extension, say mid July, that will take you to mid Oct. From there it depends if the 60 day Covid extensions are still being issued, but I'd guess the odds are 60/40 in your favour.

I don't think the visas are dependant on ASQ or ASH+ preference if i'm reading what you've written correctly.

The issue with the STV, you're required to take a direct flight to Phuket, they don't commence until the 3rd, arriving the 4th and I'd have to be in Phuket by the 2nd in order to get the 90 day extension. Another question or variant I suppose is, from my time of visa runs there, you could essentially go the week before the expiry and you'd lose the remaining days on said visa (ie due to expire say 24th Jan, but got the extension of 60days that commenced when went on the 18th Jan etc) I wondering whether I could get a STV and apply for the extension say the week before it expires and then it would extend for a further 3 months or whether they'd have the locked in mentality of current STV won't expire until say 3rd October and therefore can't renew as will run past the cut off date of 30th September etc!?

Unfortunately it looks like the STV is a no goer because of the flight issue and if so the only option I'll consider I guess is the SETV.

I appreciate your input!

Edited by truthfix

1 minute ago, truthfix said:

I don't think the visas are dependant on ASQ or ASH+ preference if i'm reading what you've written correctly.

If you obtained the STV you'd have to enter before 3rd July in order to extend a further 3 months. As flights to Phuket don't start until 3rd July, then you'd have to book at an ASQ hotel if that was your preferred option and stay for 6 months.

Otherwise it's an SETV + 30 day extension, then take your chance with Covid extensions.

Is your preference is to enter via the Phuket Sandbox scheme and guarantee a stay of 6 months, then you should be considering the Non Imm O-A Visa, or a Non Imm O Visa and 1 year extension.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you obtained the STV you'd have to enter before 3rd July in order to extend a further 3 months. As flights to Phuket don't start until 3rd July, then you'd have to book at an ASQ hotel if that was your preferred option and stay for 6 months.

Otherwise it's an SETV + 30 day extension, then take your chance with Covid extensions.

Is your preference is to enter via the Phuket Sandbox scheme and guarantee a stay of 6 months, then you should be considering the Non Imm O-A Visa, or a Non Imm O Visa and 1 year extension.

Apologies I stated ASH+ instead of SHA+ and SHA+ is the Sandbox benefit imo rather than the ASQ. So the STV is a no goer unless the lines with the dates are slightly blurred as I stated in previous post. 

It doesn't have to be 6 months, I just thought that was a good option but it's not viable with the flights.

From memory i think the Non Imm O-A Visa, you have to be 50 and over to receive and I'm 49 ha ha!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, truthfix said:

So the STV is a no goer unless the lines with the dates are slightly blurred as I stated in previous post. 

No blurred lines.  STV.

''An alien who entering into the Kingdom from July 3rd 2021 onwards, will not be permitted to extend Visa''.

Before looking at Thailand, look at the UK situation.
Currently FCO states that you should not travel to Amber or Red areas. This will invalidate all UK issued insurances.
The only visas being issued by the Thai embassy London are Non Immigrant and only for "Special" circumstances.
All Tourist visas had been replaced by the STV (below) which has now stopped applications.

As for Issue of the Single entry tourist visa, Chan-O-Cha has predicted opening up in 4 months so some means of entry will have to be made available.

Good Luck.

image.png.a07825b9552a2b5f95ddf2c229452870.png

4 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

Before looking at Thailand, look at the UK situation.
Currently FCO states that you should not travel to Amber or Red areas. This will invalidate all UK issued insurances.
The only visas being issued by the Thai embassy London are Non Immigrant and only for "Special" circumstances.
All Tourist visas had been replaced by the STV (below) which has now stopped applications.

As for Issue of the Single entry tourist visa, Chan-O-Cha has predicted opening up in 4 months so some means of entry will have to be made available.

Good Luck.

image.png.a07825b9552a2b5f95ddf2c229452870.png

I've extensively looked at all sides and it's more to do with how the Thai government consider the colour code for the UK as to whether you can get in, not all countries are deemed the same colour by other countries etc. So it's literally not black and white.

The insurance will be Thai approved (Axa) to meet the entry requirements rather than UK sourced so no invalidation there.

Not sure where you've got this information from...

'The only visas being issued by the Thai embassy London are Non Immigrant and only for "Special" circumstances'...

That's not factual, as you can currently apply for a SETV or a STV through the website.

'All Tourist visas had been replaced by the STV (below) which has now stopped applications'...

Yeah that's incorrect also, as a STV can be applied for up until the 30th June, you have to however be in Thailand by the 2nd of July in order to extend from the 30th September!

SETVs can also currently be applied for.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

No blurred lines.  STV.

''An alien who entering into the Kingdom from July 3rd 2021 onwards, will not be permitted to extend Visa''.

just to be clear I'm familiar with what's stated with cut off dates but thinking slightly outside of the box, when I mentioned blurred lines I was referring to this possibility...

From my time of visa runs there, you could essentially go to an immigration office the week before the expiry date and you'd lose the remaining days on said visa (ie due to expire say 24th Jan, but got the extension of 60days that commenced when went on the 18th Jan etc) I wondering whether I could get a STV and apply for the extension say the week before it expires and then it would extend for a further 3 months or whether they'd have the locked in mentality of current STV won't expire until say 3rd October and therefore can't renew as will run past the cut off date of 30th September etc!?

It's just a thought as to whether it might be a possibility, but alas none of us would know the answer to to this hypothetical.

9 hours ago, truthfix said:

The issue with the STV, you're required to take a direct flight to Phuket, they don't commence until the 3rd, arriving the 4th and I'd have to be in Phuket by the 2nd in order to get the 90 day extension.

I think if you entered on or shortly after the 3rd you could apply for the 90 day extension prior to September 30th.

Normally immigration will do a extension about 2 weeks before the day your permit to stay ends.

Immigration would probably start extension on the 30th of September.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think if you entered on or shortly after the 3rd you could apply for the 90 day extension prior to September 30th.

Normally immigration will do a extension about 2 weeks before the day your permit to stay ends.

Immigration would probably start extension on the 30th of September.

Thanks! I appreciate your input and this is what I'm leaning towards, as to whether that might be an option. So looking at that possibility, the only difference between the SETV and the STV is that, with the latter I'd have to provide proof of payment for accommodation for the initial 90 day period, which is doable. I guess my concern (and I'm considering all possibilities here as we all know the Thais are unpredictable with their logic) is if it weren't to be extended after the initial 90 days, there might be issues trying to obtain a different permit at that time... possibly.

As with all this there aren't any definite paths forward of benefit but more a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

17 minutes ago, truthfix said:

I guess my concern (and I'm considering all possibilities here as we all know the Thais are unpredictable with their logic) is if it weren't to be extended after the initial 90 days, there might be issues trying to obtain a different permit at that time... possibly.

I fairly certain if you applied for the 90 day extension prior to September 30th you would get the 90 days. Only being able to apply for the extension ends on the 30th.

30 minutes ago, truthfix said:

December.

You must have serious reason to want to come sooner than a bit later.

If you work back from Dec ( that's when you can obtain non o (retirement) in Thailand.

So just one pathway.

I would enter visa exempt 45 days. Followed by 30 day extension followed by 60 day covid extension. (Should still be available). Note imm will most likely make you take the 30 day extension.

Eventually you can apply for non O retirement at immigration. That gives a 90 day permit of stay. 

Note also if you obtain a STV you cannot obtain a non o from that visa, however you can from visa exempt, setv 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

When do you turn 50. 

I've been looking into the advantages of the Non Imm O-A Visa, for down the line when I've hit 50. If I'm correct it's proving either a certain amount of earnings are hitting a bank account every month or proof of earnings to be a certain amount in the bank! Is it that simple, is that the only requirements? I know a requirement for the retirement visa is monies to be in a Thai bank, does that apply to the Non Imm O-A Visa? And one last thing as there are a lot of dead links on their website, does anybody know the cost of the Non Imm O-A Visa from the UK?

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I've been looking into the advantages of the Non Imm O-A Visa, for down the line when I've hit 50. If I'm correct it's proving either a certain amount of earnings are hitting a bank account every month or proof of earnings to be a certain amount in the bank! Is it that simple, is that the only requirements? I know a requirement for the retirement visa is monies to be in a Thai bank, does that apply to the Non Imm O-A Visa? And one last thing as there are a lot of dead links on their website, does anybody know the cost of the Non Imm O-A Visa from the UK?

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I fairly certain if you applied for the 90 day extension prior to September 30th you would get the 90 days. Only being able to apply for the extension ends on the 30th.

Thanks! I'm thinking so as well, taking into consideration that a direct flight doesn't commence until the 3rd of July might play to my favour.