Not using internetional bank transfer to fund my Visa bank account?

I was always using international bank transfer. But I found about service, that will save transfer fees (wise.com). Normal bank transfer costs me 7000 Baht on fees!!! But this service charged me only 600 Baht.

So my question is if I can continue to use it? Because I remember that there is some condition that your 400 000 Baht has to come abroad. Does it count?

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

So my question is if I can continue to use it? Because I remember that there is some condition that your 400 000 Baht has to come abroad. Does it count?

So your talking about money in the bank method for annual extension (marriage).

The money does not need to be shown to have come from abroad.

Edit: just saw OP reference to 800k.

For extensions retirement you do not need to show the 800k came from abroad. However applying for the non O retirement at immigration you would need to show that the 800k came from abroad.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 5:31 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If you use Bangkok Bank and select the last reason for transfer it will show up as International.

If you already have an extension and the 400k\800k then the International shouldn't matter

Wise never shows as foreign transfer, only as domestic deposits. Wise money crosses no borders. It comes from Wise accounts in country of receiver. Shows as domestic deposit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Wise never shows as foreign transfer, only as domestic deposits. Wise money crosses no borders. It comes from Wise accounts in country of receiver. Shows as domestic deposit. 

Also most banks now are only charging 10 bucks for a 1,000 dollar transfer. Wise gives a touch more. 500 Bhat more than T. D. Bank on 1,0000 Canadian today. Both want about 10.00 for service fee. 

14 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

It takes moments to download the transaction slip from Wise that proves that the funds originate from abroad. I've used them for my last 2 extensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Come on keep up, do some research, there's been a million threads on it loads on Facebook

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Not so-in the last year I have had 36 FTTs/ International Transfers by Wise recorded in my Bangkok Bank account 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I have NON-O visa (marriage) and I'm using "400 000 baht in bank" option. I have account at Kasikorn Bank.

So does it matter in my case? Or do I have to keep slips from Wise?

Your doing extension based on marriage, you do not need show money came from overseas. Show them your bank book. Along with photocopies etc

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your doing extension based on marriage, you do not need show money came from overseas. Show them your bank book.

It is not required for retirement either. The only thing that requires proof it came from abroad is to apply for a non-o visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement at immigration.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not required for retirement either. The only thing that requires proof it came from abroad is to apply for a non-o visa based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement at immigration.

Would the money need to come from abroad if I was changing my extension of stay from a non-B to retirement? 

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Would the money need to come from abroad if I was changing my extension of stay from a non-B to retirement? 

No

You would not be changing visa types. You will only be extending the permit to stay you got from the non-b visa.

7 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

This is not true if you choose the last line on the drop-down menu, "For long term stay in Thailand." If you choose some other reason, yes, the transfer will just show as a transfer from another bank. I experimented with a transfer that was separate from my regular monthly pension transfer to discover this. My transfer "For long term stay in Thailand" always shows as FFT. I believe wise.com adopted this protocol because of problems when the new requirement to show monthly transfers came into effect, because that choice was not on the list in January, 2018 and there were complaints that the banks were not recording the transfers as FFT.

Edited by Acharn

2 hours ago, Acharn said:
9 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

This is not true if you choose the last line on the drop-down menu, "For long term stay in Thailand." If you choose some other reason, yes, the transfer will just show as a transfer from another bank. I experimented with a transfer that was separate from my regular monthly pension transfer to discover this. My transfer "For long term stay in Thailand" always shows as FFT. I believe wise.com adopted this protocol because of problems when the new requirement to show monthly transfers came into effect, because that choice was not on the list in January, 2018 and there were complaints that the banks were not recording the transfers as FFT.

@Acharnyour statement is only true if the recipient's bank is one of Wise's partner banks. For all other banks, including my own, Krungsri, @Colabamumbai is correct, they show up as domestic deposits.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I remember I need bank book + letter from bank. Book to prove movements and letter is about what if not proving source of money?

8 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I remember I need bank book + letter from bank. Book to prove movements and letter is about what if not proving source of money?

Unless the office you are using wants it there is no requirements to prove movements in your account. Many people use a fixed term account and keep the 800k baht in the bank all the time.

The bank letter only confirms your account is valid and the balance on the day the letter written. There is nothing about where the funds came from on it.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 5:31 AM, scubascuba3 said:

If you use Bangkok Bank and select the last reason for transfer it will show up as International.

If you already have an extension and the 400k\800k then the International shouldn't matter

7000 bt transfer.i pay £25  with santander thats for £10',000  wise charhe £52

19 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I have NON-O visa (marriage) and I'm using "400 000 baht in bank" option. I have account at Kasikorn Bank.

So does it matter in my case? Or do I have to keep slips from Wise?

If you have the 400k on deposit in the bank, you should not have to provide any bank information other than producing your bank book showing the balance plus a letter from your bank verifying your account and showing the current balance (this letter is often required to be dated the day of application or the previous day if you are applying early before the banks normally open).

You need show the source as being from outside of Thailand ONLY if you are using the monthly income method with a source outside of Thailand - at least 40k be transferred monthly OR if employed in Thailand, the relevant tax documents.  

In your case, it should not be necessary to show any receipts from Wise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gilltom said:

i pay £25  with santander thats for £10',000  wise charhe £52

If you transfer £2,000 GBP five times then Wise will only be £55 in charges.  Santander will presumably be £125.  Horses for courses.

On 6/19/2021 at 10:39 AM, Excel said:

Incorrect. If you use Bangkok Bank and choose "for living in Thailand etc" as your reason for transferring money it will show as FTT.

I use Bangkok Bank and money comes from Kasikorn or another one of 3 banks. Shows as domestic transfer as verified by Bangkok Bank. I emailed wise about this last year. Told me they can not show as foreign deposit in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

I use Bangkok Bank and money comes from Kasikorn or another one of 3 banks. Shows as domestic transfer as verified by Bangkok Bank. I emailed wise about this last year. Told me they can not show as foreign deposit in Thailand. 

I first started using Transferwise (now Wise) when Bangkok Bank stopped accepting domestic ACH bank transfers through their NY Branch, the transfers went to Bangkok bank and were recorded as FTT. Then, suddenly, one of my transfers was sent through Kasikorn Bank and recorded in my account as a domestic transfer. 

I contacted Transferwise and they said they would note to send it to Bangkok Bank, but could not guarantee this would always be the case.  Because that happened to many people that particular month who also complained, they subsequently added the "for Long Stay in Thailand" to their drop down menu to select the purpose of the transfer. Note - it is the last item in the drop down menu and you must scroll down to find and select it.

For the past 2 years I have been selecting that as my reason for transfer and it has always been sent direct to Bangkok Bank and recorded in my account as an FTT (international deposit). Each time, I receive a text message from Bangkok Bank advising me of an international transfer being deposited in my account. 

There is a FaceBook Group that I subscribe to - TransferWise Solutions Thailand - which has numerous postings from folks regarding their Transferwise (now Wise) experience.  There have been many many postings that selecting the "long stay Thailand" reason results in the funds being transferred direct to Bangkok Bank and for those whose account is with Bangkok Bank, being recorded with the FTT code. There have been no reports from holders of Bangkok Bank accounts that selecting the "long stay Thailand" has resulted in their transfer going through another of Wise's partner banks and being recorded in their account as a domestic transfer.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:14 AM, soisanuk said:

From your post comments, you previously have been making monthly transfers to meet the financial requirements for your extension rather than having the 400k in a Thai bank.

Wise is a good service, which I have used for several years. As mentioned, if you have a Bangkok Bank account, you should select in your reason for transfer (last item on the drop down list of reasons) for "long stay in Thailand."

Wise will then send the funds to Bangkok Bank (one of their Thailand partner banks) and the transfer will be recorded with the FTT code showing it is an International transfer. 

Bangkok Bank can then prepare a letter for Immigration showing these transfers as being International. I use the 65k per month as I am on a retirement extension, obtained the required bank letter Wednesday (needs to be requested a week in advance of when needed). I went to Pattaya Immigration on Thursday for my annual extension. Bank letter accepted with no problems.

If your bank is other than Bangkok Bank, the transfers will most likely be recorded as a domestic transfer.

So, if it shows up in your account as a domestic transfer, you will need to obtain a copy of the original receiving bank's "Credit Advice" which shows it originated from outside of Thailand.  This will most likely be Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank.  The Wise "receipt" that you can view and download will show your bank but will also show the original receiving bank where the funds were sent.  Easiest to obtain as I understand it, shortly after receipt of each transfer.

My suggestion would be to open a Bangkok Bank account, if that is not your current bank, for the purpose of receiving funds through Wise - that way it is much easier to obtain proof for Immigration that the funds are from outside Thailand.

Bangkok Bank refuse me a bankaccount, I have a yellow tabien baan and pink ID I am Married and my wife have a account at Bangkok Bank. I have now the Krungthai without a problem but the no international source of the transfers

3 hours ago, Max Brok said:

Bangkok Bank refuse me a bankaccount, I have a yellow tabien baan and pink ID I am Married and my wife have a account at Bangkok Bank. I have now the Krungthai without a problem but the no international source of the transfers

If your wife knows somebody in a Govt position ,such as a teacher,police or a village official ,that could act a a guarantor! That might make all the difference  in obtaining a BKB acct.

15 hours ago, Max Brok said:

Have you tried more than one branch?  It is not unusual for Thai bank branches, not just those of Bangkok Bank, to say no at one Branch and  yes at another.

This information is shown on their website re foreigners opening a savings account ( https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account????

Required Documents

For Thai nationals

• ID card or any government-issued photo ID card with 13-digit ID number

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport

• Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport

• A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document

• Embassy located  in Thailand 

• An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 

• Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

• Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

• Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

3. Foreigner with permanent residence in Thailand

• Passport, Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate 

• House Registration document

On 6/20/2021 at 3:00 AM, Gilltom said:

7000 bt transfer.i pay £25  with santander thats for £10',000  wise charhe £52

Can you rewrite this in English? I have no idea what any of it is supposed to mean.

The exchange rate you receive using Santander will be somewhat different from what you get with WISE.

Work out the final amounts and don't get bamboozled by the fee amount.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Max Brok said:

As suggested, try another branch or contact head office and let them know of the errant branch.