I'm getting new passport - What do I have to do next?

Marriage visa, 3rd year, left country last year for 14 days (but I had reentry permit).

I run out of pages. Requested new passport at embassy in Bangkok. They just told me to pick it up.

What do I have to do next? Do I need some paper from embassy too? Do I have to visit some thai office in Bangkok? Or my local immigration in Issan? Also my embassy s website says, that I'm required to hand over my old passport?

4 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Also my embassy s website says, that I'm required to hand over my old passport?

I think that means you give them your old passport to have them cancel it. Some punch holes in it the cover and others cut off a corner of it. They will give it back to you after the it is canceled.

• Like 2

@ubonjoe@DrJack54 @GBW

According to § 32 par. 1 let. b) of Act No. 329/1999 Coll., on travel documents, the holder of a travel document is obliged to submit an invalid travel document without undue delay. Which means:

After the necessary transfer of a Thai visa to a new passport, the citizen is obliged to hand over the existing passport (which is to expire or no longer has enough free pages) to the Embassy

This also applies to a passport that has expired. If a citizen refuses to return an invalid passport, it can be detained pursuant to Section 32, Paragraph 4 of Act No. 329/1999 Coll. and to prosecute such conduct as a misdemeanor pursuant to §42b letter g) of Act No. 200/1990 Coll., on misdemeanors, as amended by Act No. 62/2002 Coll.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

@ubonjoe@DrJack54 @GBW

According to § 32 par. 1 let. b) of Act No. 329/1999 Coll., on travel documents, the holder of a travel document is obliged to submit an invalid travel document without undue delay. Which means:

After the necessary transfer of a Thai visa to a new passport, the citizen is obliged to hand over the existing passport (which is to expire or no longer has enough free pages) to the Embassy

Don't believe everything you read.

Passports are never handed over to Thai immigration when cancelled.

When obtaining a replacement passport the embassy cancels the passport. Sometimes done with hole punch and sometimes (in case of AU) they cut off code strip on front page. 

The embassy also stamps passport to the effect that passport is cancelled and notes that any visas reentry permits etc remain valid.

I once traveled international for 6 months using both passports at a time when I was exiting Thailand twice a month.

Added note.....always keep your old pp just in case photocopy of your original visa is required.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

@ubonjoe@DrJack54 @GBW

That might be what your country requires.

It does say after the the Thai visa is transferred you must return it to them.

I have two old long expired passports put away here.

• Like 1

I just did my Australian Passport. I picked new one up at honorary Consular in Chiang Mai on Monday. He cut the "bar" code off the old passport and put in a stamp above photo page saying passport cancelled and new passport number (Australian Embassy doesn't issue letters). I took both to immigration yesterday and was required to fill in a form and copy new passport photo page as well as every page of old passport and also copy of TM30. I received 6 stamps in the new passport, including the latest visa extension stamp, plus 2 stamps on last page of old passport.

Supposedly all ok now but will see at next extension renewal.

• Thanks 1

I changed my passport about two weeks ago.

The embassy will issue you with a certificate. With this you must go to the Immigration Office (with the relevant form for transfer the stamps). The cost of this operation is 0

You can now keep your old passport at home. But every time you go to the Immigration Office take it with you (I was told this).

When you have transferred the stamps to your new passport, go to the bank to change your details and they will give you a new bookbank.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zhounan said:

When you have transferred the stamps to your new passport, go to the bank to change your details and they will give you a new bookbank.

First place I visited after obtaining new to change my passport number but they did not issue new book banks. My main account had 2 lines left and they did not replace it. Supposedly all changed on 2 accounts plus credit cards and ATM card. For some reason I don't have much confidence all will be correct. This was Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

First place I visited after obtaining new to change my passport number but they did not issue new book banks. My main account had 2 lines left and they did not replace it. Supposedly all changed on 2 accounts plus credit cards and ATM card. For some reason I don't have much confidence all will be correct. This was Bangkok Bank.

Agreed.

Also changed passport earlier this year and updated pp number at SCB (2 accounts with passbook) and BB (1 account with passbook). No new passbooks issued and all accounts operating with no problems.

So earlier poster indicating a change of passbook is part of the updating process does not match with my (and your) experience

Edited by dabhand
  • Like 2

I have a list of places to go and change including DLT for car and bike licences and car blue book, hospital, True Mobile, 3BB internet, lease agreement and car insurance. Probably forgot some to update.

I wrote email to embasssy and they replied, that I will have to return the passport once the validity ends. Which is 4 years from now.

They also offered to write me letter for Thai immigration. Can I then visit any immigration or do I have to visit my "home" immigration in Issan?

4 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

They also offered to write me letter for Thai immigration. Can I then visit any immigration or do I have to visit my "home" immigration in Issan?

You have to do the stamp transfer at the designated immigration office for where you are living.

5 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I wrote email to embasssy and they replied, that I will have to return the passport once the validity ends. Which is 4 years from now.

What is your country? Never heard of passport needing to be handed back on expiry. As other have said it is invalidated in a few different ways but you always get to keep. Obviously some places, especially here, want to view old passport when providing new passport information. Will let you know more after up dating my info here over the next couple of weeks. I will provide new passport and see if they ask for old one.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

I will provide new passport and see if they ask for old one.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They won't ask for old one.

Yes they will and want copies of it to move the stamps to the new one.

The only way they would not ask for it would be if he had reported a lost or stolen passport to the police.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He was meaning ask for old passport to keep.

The OP has stated few times that his embassy wants the old passport back to keep. Never heard of that. 

Naturally immigration will require old passport to view along with photocopies and subsequently hand it back to you

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only way they would not ask for it would be if he had reported a lost or stolen passport to the police.

Yes immigration did. I had 6 new stamps including latest extension and 2 stamps on last page old passport. I was actually referring to whether banks, DLT, etc want to see old passport when changing info.

8 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I was actually referring to whether banks, DLT, etc want to see old passport when changing info.

Normally they would want want to see it but might accept copies of it.

Showing the stamp in your new passport that immigration did would help since it has your old passport number on it.

• Like 1

On a Canadian passport renewal form there is a box that must be ticked to keep possession of your expired passport otherwise they will keep it. Because I have work permits and stamps from other various counties and Thailand I always keep my old ones and they come back with a variety of holes punched through or a corner clipped off.

Would help to know the OPs country