Windows 10 Update

lelapin

Switched on laptop this morning and screen showed that there was an update taking place. Lasted more than an hour and removed all my various passwords that had been saved. I must have entered or remembered my hotmail password incorrectly, as after trying a few times it has blocked  me and said I must try again tomorrow.

Anyone else had a similar experience recently.

7 minutes ago, thaitom said:

whats your latest update ?  I am just now doing an update KB4023057,  for me they never take more than about 5 min.

I have just checked and there are several programs etc that show an update of 06/19/21.

I know I am over 80 y.o. but has senility just started to kick in.

image.png.7ee703a871ad063b385041662a3588d6.png

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

Switched on laptop this morning and screen showed that there was an update taking place. Lasted more than an hour and removed all my various passwords that had been saved. I must have entered or remembered my hotmail password incorrectly, as after trying a few times it has blocked  me and said I must try again tomorrow.

Anyone else had a similar experience recently.

Hi OP, a bit more information is needed. Which version of W10 are you running and what was the KB number of the update/upgrade? To find the version, open Search, type in winver and enter. You will get a screen like this, Fig.01:

winver.jpg.c974bce3befa334054c403a452c70174.jpg

To find a list of updates, go into Control Panel\Programs and Features and click on installed updates. You will see something like this, Fig.02 (boxed KB for later reference):

updates.jpg.abae66764d906035986f4cc381678eeb.jpg

You can also see your updates through: Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update and click on View Update History; you will see something like this, Fig.03:

829521373_settingsupdates.jpg.542510a1c0a06f09fd36059c6dc8af41.jpg

Both these locations give you the option of uninstalling updates (once they have been identified as problem causing). Note there is a difference between updates and Feature updates.

Quick heads-up for anyone running W10 21H1 and have come across problems after recent updates.

Problem 1: After installing KB5003637 (this installs the new feature "News and Interests" in the system icons on the taskbar) and rebooting (on two of my notebooks) I lost all the system icons on the taskbar when opening any application. This happened everytime even with the new feature turned off.

Problem 2: One of the staff asked me to look at her PC where her Office 365 Outlook couldn't open any previewers (neither office or pdf previewers) for her attachments, nor could she save the attachments to either local disk, network or NAS locations. I managed to resolve this for her by running a script to change registry entries, but after reboot, even though her Outlook was running normally, her taskbar had now frozen. Before starting troubleshooting with sfc /scannow, I decided to look at her updates, as she had mentioned an update the previous evening when shutting down.

In both cases, uninstalling KB5003637 worked and all machines are running normally. I have also paused updates for 7 days on these machines to let MS get their act together. I know this isn't ideal, but I would like to relay this as a heads up.

While quickly researching this on different forums, I saw reference to different KB's being uninstalled and working for them; uninstalling KB5003637 worked for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lelapin said:

I have just checked and there are several programs etc that show an update of 06/19/21.

I know I am over 80 y.o. but has senility just started to kick in.

Today is the 18th here in Thailand so expect something wrong with that date - or is that what you are saying?  My last update was on 17 but I am using Windows version 21H1 and it only took a few minutes and was KB5004476 - if you still using HDD as a drive that will take a lot, lot longer than SSD.  I do not see any Windows updates on your list - they all for other Microsoft products.  And you do not want to uninstall them.  You want the screen Crisinth posted

• Like 1